No Golf For A While

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Good news Dennis, hope all goes well with the rehab :)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I've had 2 physical therapy sessions and just like people told me, I'm more sore now than before I started.

At my session last Friday, we had a conversation about what I could do at home to increase the workouts. Some of it was simple stuff like stretches using resistance against a long stretching pole I already own. Some had to do with compressing rubber balls between my wrists and some were just a matter of placing my hands on the sides of a door and stepping slightly forward. I did buy one piece of equipment, a ribbed hard rubber stick that you twist in both directions.

Tomorrow morning, I have another session at 7 AM and hope to go to the golf course and ride around with m y buddies after that. If I do, I'll have a wedge and putter with me to practice a bit along the way. I can't take the right arm back much beyond my waist in a typical backswing before it's painful, but it's definitely coming along.

Maybe in another month... I live in hope...

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Glad you are making progress Dennis

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Keep up the good work Dennis ... Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Keep at it, Dennis!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
It’s the “ribbed hard rubber stick” that worries me.
Look it up on the web. It's called a Theraband Flexbar. It came with a paper showing 16 different exercises you can do with it, 4 of which apply to my needs. This thing could be a weapon.

Unfortunately, I was unable to go to PT this morning. I am too much pain, a constant burning sensation in the front of my shoulder. Until I see my orthopedist to determine whether I've reinjured myself, I don't want to complicate things with PT. More than anything, I'm losing sleep because of the pain. Friends have recommended or given me all sorts of creams and roll on freezing agents that don't seem to help other than to create a different feeling on the skin that distracts me from the pain. Some of these things don't exactly smell very good, so I'm a bit worried about being too social right now. ;-) One particular hemp oil product has a peculiar aroma I can't even describe except to say, my wife doesn't even want me in the same room with her.

Sometimes, even my dog looks at me with a strange look on his face. i don't care what some medicine might do for me. That's taking things way too far.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I met the Orthopedist this morning. He wants me to have another MRI on the right shoulder. He thinks I've damaged it by being put on active PT the week after surgery. Apparently that was not his instructions and the girl in his office made a mistake scheduling me to start PT when he didn't want me to start until about now.. For the time being, I'm on orders to completely rest the shoulder, not lift anything, not drive and he said if I have too hard a time not using it, I should go back to wearing the sling.

I'm basically back to square 1...

MRI is around noon on October 2nd.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Well, the MRI shows another tear in one of the muscles making up the rotator cuff. The tear is in line with the fiber of the muscle, so if it's rested and treated right, it should heal on its own without surgery. The doctor thinks it happened becuse of the PT routine I was given being too active, too soon after surgery.

In the meantime, I start rehab again tomorrow and it's supposed to be totally passive, no muscular effort with my right arm, just minor stretching to maintain some range of motion. It's going to be a lot longer before I can play again now, but surgery would be longer still.

A friend half joked that I should get a golf video game. Maybe she's right.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Hi Dennis ... Sorry to hear things have gone backwards somewhat - Good news that you are now on the correct course of treatment & hopefully you will recover sooner rather than later - You must have the patience of a saint? - I would have been hauled off to the asylum a long time ago ... Paul

Audioclyde

HCP
Local club/country
Oaks Country Club, Tulsa, OK
Irons
MP H4 3-PW Nippon 950 Stiff, S5 50, 55 & 60 wedges
Driver
TM M2 Hzrdus Red 6.0
Hang in there Dennis; here's hoping that things start going positively from here on and you are back on the course soon.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Rehab was light for one day and when I went back 2 days later, all of a sudden they put me back on the same routine I was doing that hurt me. I put no effort into it at all and made an appointment to see the doctor a couple days later. He stopped the physical therapy completely and scheduled another MRI because he thinks the shoulder has been reinjured. Now I have a constant burning sensation in the shoulder and the next MRI will be on the 30th.

In the immortal words of Shakespeare, "I'm getting tired of this $#&%...

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
JPX 900
Rehab was light for one day and when I went back 2 days later, all of a sudden they put me back on the same routine I was doing that hurt me. I put no effort into it at all and made an appointment to see the doctor a couple days later. He stopped the physical therapy completely and scheduled another MRI because he thinks the shoulder has been reinjured. Now I have a constant burning sensation in the shoulder and the next MRI will be on the 30th.

In the immortal words of Shakespeare, "I'm getting tired of this $#&%...
Unbelievable, there seems to be a lack of joined up thinking between Doc and Rehab. Not good if you are damaging the shoulder again. Hope you get this sorted out once and for all.

It will be worth it in the end ☺

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The MRI on the lump in my arm didn't show anything dangerous, but manipulating my arm today, the doctor is concerned that I have a worse tear in the cuff. I had another MRI today, so as soon as they can read it, I'll find out more. I'm really getting tired of this.

I wish he could give me a couple shots that would totally remove the pain for a little while, just so I could play golf a few times and sleep through the night without being woken up by the pain.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
This ridiculous saga continues... I think it's gone on long enough that it's becoming an spic.

Another MRI on my shoulder reflected the beginning of frozen shoulder, so the doctor did a procedure on me called a manipulation. I was asleep and also had a nerve block. Long story short, he manipulated my arm into positions that would probably be beyond what a full range of motion would be. It tears off all the little tentacles from the muscles that have begun to attach themselves to the bones. He told me i had to be asleep as much to avoid hearing the sound as for feeling the pain.

Then I was taken to physical therapy. I was awake, but the nerve block didn't wear away for another few hours. The PT guy stretched me pretty much the same way from how he described it. I didn't feel anything in my shoulder, but the stretches were felt in my pecs and lats. When i looked to the side to see where my arm was, I was amazed to see it straight out to my side for the first time in a few months.

Now, I'm in a bit of pain and the stretches I've been given to do while I'm out of town for Thanksgiving hurt like crazy, but I certainly have a big increase in my range of motion. Hopefully the pain will begin to subside soon.

BTW - I'm currently in Cary, North Carolina, staying with my daughter who lives in Prestonwood, where the senior tour championship is played right across the street... Or if you prefer, I'm about 45 minutes from Pinehurst... AND IT'S 31 FREAKIN DEGREES OUTSIDE!!!!!!

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Hi Dennis ... You really are in the wars - A saga indeed, maybe Peter Jackson would be interested in the film rights? - Anyway, keep up the good work & hope you feel better real soon ...
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The only problem with making a movie of this year long idiocy is, what actor would want to destroy his golf game to swing the club like me??? ;-)

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
Hi Dennis ... You really are in the wars - A saga indeed, maybe Peter Jackson would be interested in the film rights? - Anyway, keep up the good work & hope you feel better real soon ...
Paul
You obviously watched the same film as me a couple of weeks ago (the WW1 one).

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Oh well... Thanksgiving is over, we are home from North Carolina and tomorrow at 7 AM, it's back to physical therapy. I know they will stretch me and it'll hurt, but last night I grabbed a club to see how far back I could take it and I was surprised that I could get my left arm parallel to the ground before my right arm started to hurt. It hurts a little sooner to follow through, but I think I might approaching the point where I could go punch the ball around a bit. At the least, I could easily chip from maybe 50 yards out...???

I worked myself pretty hard doing the exercises they showed me while I was out of town. Maybe this is the point where I turn a corner.

Top Bottom