HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
That sounds good, Dennis!

Just don't get lazy with the therapy or do something stupid too soon. :)

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
Will it be the same if it feels like your hand again though Dennis? :D

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I went to the surgeon's office this morning to change the bandage and see how things were looking. The hand hurts like crazy, but it's not numb and apparently that's good. If it was numb, the nerves wouldn't be working. Since it hurts, it means they are working.

I got some gentle stretches to do, but I was told it might take a week or two before the hand feels normal again.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Is that a caterpillar under there?

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
That looks nasty Dennis, but fingers crossed it does the trick & you'll be back swinging soon ... Paul

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
DennisMiller said:
OhBoy! said:
Is that a caterpillar under there?
HEY - It DOES look like a catepillar... I should give it a name and feed it some lettuce.
 Pick those stitches & see if this guy is under there? - ("Heimlich" From Pixar's Bugs Life)

Attachments

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Looks a little tender Dennis!  Good to hear it's hurting (I think)!

Hope it all mends well and doesn't both you once you start swing clubs again.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Celtic_Bil said:
Looks a little tender Dennis!  Good to hear it's hurting (I think)!

Hope it all mends well and doesn't both you once you start swing clubs again.
Yes, hurting is good news.

In the past 24-36 hours, I've begun to realize my fingers feel much more normal. The incision is irritated, but my fingers aren't numb. When I wake up in the morning, they still feel a bit fat, but in a couple hours as I get moving, I realize they have retained a lot of normal feeling. I'm really enthused about this.

In the meantime, the right hand is doing some things to indicate it wants its time under the knife. I'll go into the second surgery with a lot more confidence.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I got the stitches out yesterday morning. Now it looks like a caterpillar without legs.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
My palm is completely healed as far as the actual incision is concerned, but inside my hand, I still have some nerve pain and stiffness. I held a club the other day, but I can only do it with a 10 finger grip. My left hand that had surgery can't extend the index finger for my usual reverse overlap putting grip and my right hand, still waiting to have surgery, hurts too much to overlap with the little finger.

I can't deny it's a lot better than it was. I'm back to playing some guitar, about 30 minutes at a time before I cramp up, but golf is still a long way off.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Dennis,  You've probably got the Physio covered, but, have a look here, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caJCwqGKRCY

Simple exercises that give the whole hand a work out. I still have a box of three golf balls on my desk in the office and I often do the simple exercises just to keep the hands and fingers supple.

Hope you get sorted soon.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
DennisMiller said:
My palm is completely healed as far as the actual incision is concerned, but inside my hand, I still have some nerve pain and stiffness. I held a club the other day, but I can only do it with a 10 finger grip. My left hand that had surgery can't extend the index finger for my usual reverse overlap putting grip and my right hand, still waiting to have surgery, hurts too much to overlap with the little finger.

I can't deny it's a lot better than it was. I'm back to playing some guitar, about 30 minutes at a time before I cramp up, but golf is still a long way off.
Hi Dennis ... Thought you'd been a bit quieter than usual? - Maybe if you spent more time typing on here it would help build up your finger muscles? - Glad to hear there is some progress & keep up the physio ... Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I was watching the AT&T tournament from Pebble Beach yesterday, something I've had a really hard time doing while my hand has been healing. It just upsets me to watch golf when I can't play.

I feel like my left hand is much better, though the heel of the hand is still hard and holding a club feels weird.

I decided to take out my 5 iron and see if I could actually hit some balls into my backyard net... BAD IDEA!!!

It's one thing that I've become so stiff that I couldn't make a backswing or follow through, but the mental issue of actually holding onto the club at contact is going to be something really difficult to get over.

I hit 3 balls, badly, and was immediately sorry when my wrist got swollen and I had to ice it. This morning, it's still swollen and hurts like crazy.

Just another one of my bad ideas... Maybe I should stick to guitars and looking like a movie star...  ;-)

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Sorry to hear that Dennis & (for a change) I will resist any "funny" comments! - Hope things start to improve & you can get back to the golf sooner rather than later ... Paul

NotOhBoy

Local club/country
Surrey
Sorry to hear that Dennis. Perhaps we can all spend our spare time emulating Ted Potter Jr., the unlikeliest of all role models.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
NotOhBoy said:
Sorry to hear that Dennis. Perhaps we can all spend our spare time emulating Ted Potter Jr., the unlikeliest of all role models.
Thanks guys... It's been pretty frustrating, but as my surgeon apologized in his explanation, "I have to sell you come confidence before I cut you open."

One of my Monday regulars came over this morning and we just spent the morning regripping his clubs. It was nice to have company and see him again.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Hopefully it'll get better soon, listen to the doc and don't rush it! :)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I met up with my regular Monday group yesterday and rode around 9 holes. I took a putter and a couple balls just to mess around, but being around the guys got to me. That was my first emotional moment of the day.

I borrowed a 5 hybrid from one of the guys and tried to hit a ball. The club still feels weird in my left hand because the heel of my palm is still hard and a little bit sore, but I managed to hit the ball square and felt that wonderful shock that let me know I'd hit it in the middle of the face. I only moved it about 150 yards because my body was very tight and I could only take about a half swing, but it got to me. Second emotional moment of the day.

I came home and realized I was dead tired. I felt like I'd played 9 holes instead of just riding around. A 2 hour nap solved that problem.

When my wife came home, I started to tell her about hitt ing a shot and I got emotional all over again.

I still have to face surgery on my right hand at some point, but i really want to start stretching so I can actually play a few holes before starting the process all over again.

There's light at the end of the tunnel.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Great to hear there's progress, Dennis! Stretching is certainly something we should do more of but not many of us do.

Now, tell me more about the two-hour nap, that sounds like fun! :D

Top Bottom