No Golf For A While

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
#1
For the past 6 weeks or so, I've had terrible pain in my shoulders, hands and wrists.

After a bunch of tests, it's been determined I have bone spurs in both shoulders on the upper arm. They are both scratching on the tendons and a second one on my left arm is scratching my bicep.

Add to that a diagnosis of long term, severe carpel tunnel and as you can imagine, I'm not a real happy camper right now.

As of a meeting today with the surgeon, I'm scheduled for surgery on my left hand November 29th. I'll rehab and within a month or so after that, have the surgery on the right hand. Just by rough estimate, I probably won't be hitting golf balls until February or March.

Anyway, I'll have a lot of time to hang around here and drive you all nuts in the meantime. The way I see it, it might keep me from spending the money on the new 180 driver until it's been out a while.

This getting old stuff ain't for sissies...
 

seanmor

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Location
Kilmarnock, Scotland.
HCP
19
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
JPX-900 H M 5-PW KBS Tour C-taper lite R flex
Driver
GT180 KURO-KAGE 50 R flex TiNi Dual-Core
#2
DennisMiller said:
For the past 6 weeks or so, I've had terrible pain in my shoulders, hands and wrists.

After a bunch of tests, it's been determined I have bone spurs in both shoulders on the upper arm. They are both scratching on the tendons and a second one on my left arm is scratching my bicep.

Add to that a diagnosis of long term, severe carpel tunnel and as you can imagine, I'm not a real happy camper right now.

As of a meeting today with the surgeon, I'm scheduled for surgery on my left hand November 29th. I'll rehab and within a month or so after that, have the surgery on the right hand. Just by rough estimate, I probably won't be hitting golf balls until February or March.

Anyway, I'll have a lot of time to hang around here and drive you all nuts in the meantime. The way I see it, it might keep me from spending the money on the new 180 driver until it's been out a while.

This getting old stuff ain't for sissies...
Hi Dennis,

Sorry to hear of your shoulder problems I can understand and sympathise with you on this
having suffered from bad arthritis in my back arms and shoulders for
a number of years now.

And the similarities don't end there as I did also suffer from Carpel tunnel in both
hands.

I was still working at the time and it made some of the tasks in my job as an engineer very
difficult with the numbness and loss of feeling that I would get in
my hands and it didn't help either when swinging a golf club.

Fortunately I had the surgery done ten years ago now that totally eradicated the problem
completely,

Cheers

John :D
 

DMT

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2014
HCP
6.8
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX 850 Forged KBS Stiff (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
#3
Good luck with the surgery Dennis.  I guess your guitars will also need to see some rest during your re-hab? 
 

PaulBoy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
HCP
4.5
Local club/country
Guildford GC & New Forest GC
Irons
MP4/MP15 4-PW PX6.0
Driver
M3 c/w Oban Kiyoshi PRP / PX Hzrdus Yellow
#4
Hi Dennis ... Sorry to hear about your health issues, but look forward to reading your (more) regular posts while you recuperate - Think of it as having a winter break like a lot of people here have to do (?)
Cheers ... Paul
 

Stewart 57

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Location
Sandnes, Norway
HCP
11.
Local club/country
Sandnes Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 18`s 4 - PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
JPX 850 driver, JPX 3 wood, JPX 900, hybrid,
#5
Sorry to hear about your health  Dennis, hope your recouperation goes well .....
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
#6
PaulBoy said:
Think of it as having a winter break like a lot of people here have to do (?)
Cheers ... Paul
That's not a bad idea. I'll just act like the coconuts on my palm trees are snowballs.

I'm going to see how mentally painful it is, but I told the guys in my Monday group that I would come out the beginning of December after the first surgery and ride around with them. My game has been pretty awful lately, but I truly enjoy their company, so just riding around with them should still be a lot of fun.
 

WalkerCup

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 5, 2016
Location
British Isles
HCP
3
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3 Deg up plus3/4" Project X LZ 4-PW
Driver
TMade M1 2017, Handcrafted Project X Evenflow blue Stiff
#7
Sorry to hear your news Dennis.  Best of luck with your treatment and you'll be back in no time! 
 

hursty

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 15, 2011
Location
Telford, Shropshire
HCP
9.6
Local club/country
The Shropshire GC
Irons
MMC Fli Hi #3, MP-5 4-PW, MPT-7 50 & 58 wedges
Driver
JPX 900 Driver - 757 S, JPX 900 3W - 661 X, JPX 900 19 deg - Fuji Pro 75S, Odyssey #7CS
#8
DennisMiller said:
For the past 6 weeks or so, I've had terrible pain in my shoulders, hands and wrists.

After a bunch of tests, it's been determined I have bone spurs in both shoulders on the upper arm. They are both scratching on the tendons and a second one on my left arm is scratching my bicep.

Add to that a diagnosis of long term, severe carpel tunnel and as you can imagine, I'm not a real happy camper right now.

As of a meeting today with the surgeon, I'm scheduled for surgery on my left hand November 29th. I'll rehab and within a month or so after that, have the surgery on the right hand. Just by rough estimate, I probably won't be hitting golf balls until February or March.

Anyway, I'll have a lot of time to hang around here and drive you all nuts in the meantime. The way I see it, it might keep me from spending the money on the new 180 driver until it's been out a while.

This getting old stuff ain't for sissies...
Can you not get both hands done at the same time?

Will save on recovery time and mean you can't come on here and drive us all nuts = everyone is a winner!!!!!!*

















* Speedy recovery Dennis :)
 

Bonobobananas

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2013
HCP
8.7
Local club/country
Eaton (Norwich)
Irons
MP18 mb Mod105S
Driver
Mizuno ST180 Tensei White 70 stiff
#9
You not having a subacromial decompression for the shoulders Dennis, if there are spurs affecting the biceps and rotator cuff? It’s a pretty straightforward op as they go.

I take it you’ve had nerve conduction studies to confirm the carpal tunnel syndrome? Make sure it’s not nerve root compression from your neck but I’m sure they’ve ruled that out. Meantime check out these https://youtu.be/oeV9IhFFpEk guys (there are three videos, one for each of the three main nerves in your arm). 
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
#10
LOL - I actually did ask about that, but there are certain reasons they don't like doing both at the same time. It's a bit too debilitating. Let's not get any more specific than that.
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
#11
Bonobobananas said:
You not having a subacromial decompression for the shoulders Dennis, if there are spurs affecting the biceps and rotator cuff? It’s a pretty straightforward op as they go.

I take it you’ve had nerve conduction studies to confirm the carpal tunnel syndrome? Make sure it’s not nerve root compression from your neck but I’m sure they’ve ruled that out. Meantime check out these https://youtu.be/oeV9IhFFpEk guys (there are three videos, one for each of the three main nerves in your arm). 
Yes, I had a nerve conduction study. What a weird test. At one shock, my left arm flailed around and I nearly slapped the girl doing the test involuntarily. The results were pretty immediate. My right hand is almost not firing at all, but I have more pain in the left hand, so the doctor suggested fixing that one first, just to make me feel better in general.

The upper arm spurs biting into me are definitely something to fix next, but between recovering from the hand surgery and doing something about the shoulders, I'll be able to manage some golf. My shoulders don't really hurt all that much when I swing a club. It's more a matter of reaching forward or up. If I swing more around me, it's not so troubling and I've always needed to shallow out my swing.

I've already spoken to a teaching pro buddy about setting me up like a rank beginner again once the doctors approve me to play again.
 

Halebopp

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2012
HCP
10.2
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/4
Driver
MP-650
#12
I'm sorry to hear that, Dennis. Hopefully the surgeries and healing will go well!

Also, welcome to the no golf in the winter club!

Having surgeries on both arms at the same time is one of the big reasons I've never had the interest to try downhill skiing or snowboarding. :D Even the downhills while doing cross country scare me at times. Especially the turns at the bottom of the hills.
 

zombie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2012
HCP
15.9
Local club/country
Craigielaw - East Lothian
#13
The spirit inside you big man will see you back swinging before you know it. Look at our DCB and his brilliant progress. 

Keep us updated and pencil in Ramside Hall for your big comeback!

;) 
 

Kgrove

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2015
Location
Phoenix, AZ
HCP
12
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
#14
Good luck! Try and make your own silver lining by focusing on your rehab. I've seen more than a few people end up better than they started following an injury or surgery by using rehab to re-kindle strength and flexibility they lost by inattention. I hope it goes well for you!
 
 

OhBoy!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2012
HCP
7.7
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
#15
Blimey Dennis. Just make sure you look after yourself.

A friend of mine had a double hernia and is reputed to have asked the surgeon to make the left part of the groin a little tighter than the right - so as to promote a gentle draw. Can something similar be done to your hands?

Take care and keep us posted. We’re always agog for your news.
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
#16
OhBoy! said:
Blimey Dennis. Just make sure you look after yourself.

A friend of mine had a double hernia and is reputed to have asked the surgeon to make the left part of the groin a little tighter than the right - so as to promote a gentle draw. Can something similar be done to your hands?
Whoa now... Now that's a great idea... I'll call his office first thing in the morning.

We flew home today, arriving back in Miami around 8:30 this evening. Our friend who had been taken of our dog picked us up with Hogan in the car. I was thrilled to have my little buddy back and right now he's snuggled against my leg speeling on the couch.

I have to be at the surgery center at 6:30 AM on Wednesday. They called today to tell me I'll be the first patient taken, probably starting around 7:30 after they get me in a gown and all tubed up for the anesthesia. The surgery is supposed to take about 30 minutes and I don't know how long it might take me to wake up enough to stumble to the car so a friend can bring me home.

As painful as my fingers are right now, it's really hard to button or unbutton a shirt or pants, so tomorrow, I'm going to a sporting goods store and grab a couple pair of shorts with elastic waistbands. I figure to be pretty lazy for a week or so after the surgery. Once the stitches are out, I'm supposed to get an impression as rehab starts about when I can do the right hand.

Until the hands are back in good shape, we aren't going to do anything about the bone spurs in the shoulders. My Orthopedist friend told me physical therapy might help that and I could avoid surgery.
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
#17
It's 5:30 in the morning and I'm about to leave for the surgery center. Needless to say, since my left hand gets cut today, my right hand woke up more painful. Figures, huh?

I'm supposed to be the first patient done this morning, so hopefully, I'll be home around 11 AM, or around 4 PM for most of you across the pond. As soon as I get home, I want a cup of coffee and then I'm going to bed. I didn't sleep all night, so I guess I'm more nervous about this than I thought.

Talk to you all later...
 

hursty

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 15, 2011
Location
Telford, Shropshire
HCP
9.6
Local club/country
The Shropshire GC
Irons
MMC Fli Hi #3, MP-5 4-PW, MPT-7 50 & 58 wedges
Driver
JPX 900 Driver - 757 S, JPX 900 3W - 661 X, JPX 900 19 deg - Fuji Pro 75S, Odyssey #7CS
#18
DennisMiller said:
It's 5:30 in the morning and I'm about to leave for the surgery center. Needless to say, since my left hand gets cut today, my right hand woke up more painful. Figures, huh?

I'm supposed to be the first patient done this morning, so hopefully, I'll be home around 11 AM, or around 4 PM for most of you across the pond. As soon as I get home, I want a cup of coffee and then I'm going to bed. I didn't sleep all night, so I guess I'm more nervous about this than I thought.

Talk to you all later...
Hope all goes well Dennis
 

Bonobobananas

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2013
HCP
8.7
Local club/country
Eaton (Norwich)
Irons
MP18 mb Mod105S
Driver
Mizuno ST180 Tensei White 70 stiff
#19
Yes hope all goes well chap 
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
#20
The doctor said everything went really well and this morning, 24 hours post surgery, I definitely have more feeling in my left hand and fingers. The hand is extremely weak, so physical therapy will have to work on that, but I'm nearly pain free already.

The worst thing I could say right now is, the incision itches a bit and my fingers still feel sort of fat. I feel 1000% better than yesterday and I can't wait for the left hand to heal so I can get the right hand done.
 
Top Bottom