stevee

HCP
Local club/country
Hennerton GC; Berks UK
Irons
Zoid True 5-Pw; Zoid 52, SW(56), 60; original Fli-Hi 18 and 24
Driver
C'way BB 8deg; 3w and CBBII 5w
Am 10 h'cap with Zoid True musclebacks that i've had for ages; am 5ft 6 and quite a short and low hitter, but accurate and rarely in trouble (e.g. 135 7iron) with quite slow compact swing

Because of their age, and having some spare money i'm looking at some new irons; i like the idea of the 950s because i think they will give me the benefit of the longer utilities and stability and higher flight with the hollow mid irons, but similar feel where my strength is with the shorter irons

There are good deals for both 950s and 57s at the moment.

Interested in any informed views - also whether graphite shafts would be worth considering - never thought about them for irons before

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
Those are possibly good choices, but there are other options too, the MX-100 and 200, and if you decide to go a bit more money, MP52s.

In any event, I think it is worth going down to the National Fitting Centre near Leatherhead, where you can get fitted for he right head, set make up and, most importantly perhaps, shafts.

Failing that, have a local pro look at you swing and advise. If you are in east Berks, Wexham Park is a good choice, and a bit further west, Sand Martins GC in Wokingham or Leaderboard in Reading.

While you are about it, ask them to look at drivers, 8 degrees (in your listed Cally BB) is not much loft unless you have a lot of swing speed!

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 / Mizuno MX-300 / MP T-10 Black Satin 64-07
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 / Putter / Mizuno Bettinardi BC6 & BC7
The 950 will have the hybrid type clubs on the longer irons, so if you like the idea the 950 is an excellent set! More forgiving then the MP-57's or MP-52'.. You could always mix and match the clubs to fit your game.. More forgiving irons on the longer clubs and more "scoring clubs" on the shorter irons..

stevee

HCP
Local club/country
Hennerton GC; Berks UK
Irons
Zoid True 5-Pw; Zoid 52, SW(56), 60; original Fli-Hi 18 and 24
Driver
C'way BB 8deg; 3w and CBBII 5w
Thanks MJt
The thing that started me looking was that the 57s and 950s are now discontinued so their prices have really dropped- less than £300 at moment - as a result i'm told they won't custom fit, and certainly not at those prices. I currently play standard length musclebacks with regular shaft, and if anything i could probably do with taking 1/4" inch off them, or to have the lie flattened a tad.

Re: my driver ; i know what you mean and it's a good point, but it was a £17 bargain off eBay, and my 10.5 deg driver before that used to send teh ball into orbit (even when it came out of the middle!); also i could never tell whether it would go straight, hook or slice ! Wheras the CBB still flies high ( i must be picking it up off the tee on the upswing)and i can gurantee a gentle fade with it, which works perfectly at my home course where all the driving holes i can play that way. If i could get a similar CBB at 9.5 to 10 degs with a reg shaft for a sensible price i'd jump at it !.

And good point about the 100s/200s - they certanily get great reviews on teh interweb, but they look b***y ugly to me - yes i know the 950s are a bit chunky but they look better i think .

Appreciate your feedback - thanks.

P.S. I played at the Lakes about a month or so ago - i play there every year or so with a colleague - i thought it was in the best condition i've ever played it - and even the 14th green was free of the geese for a chnage :)

Top Bottom