dbailesdev

HCP
Local club/country
BOWOOD GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB
Irons
MX17
Driver
PING RAPTURE
This is simple, or at least you think it would be.
I have been using MX17 irons for the last 3/4 years.
3 to PW with a T zoid Pro SW (not changing that).
Standard lie, standard loft, standard length steel shafts,(sounds pretty boring I know)but they have been good servants.

7 iron normally 140yds (standard British weather), all other irons up/down from this in incremants of 10 yds, ie: 3 iron 180yds, PW 100yds.

So the question/topic is - what Mizuno irons do I replace them with?
H/cap 19 so need something quite forgiving.

MP32LEFTIE

HCP
Local club/country
WYCHWOOD PARK CHESHIRE
Irons
MIZUNO MP32 3-PW + 52 56 +60
Driver
TAYLORMADE R7 SUPERQUAD
Simple mate, get fitted. You need to try several and take advise from a pro, if your going to spend your hard earned cash you might as well take advantage from the experience and training from a good fitting centre. (dont listen to the numpties in american golf though, they aint no pro's)
To give you an example-
I had my 2nd set of MP32's fitted for me. The set I first had were std with regular flex shaft. I hit pw 115 yrds slight draw mid flight
7 iron 165 yrds slight draw.
With the custom fitted set loft and lie are still std but they fitted a stiffer shaft. The results were that my pw now goes 110 yrds with a lot higher straight flight and produces more back spin and is a lot more controlable. 7 iron again has a more penertrating flight and better control without loss of distance. I was told that shaft flex isnt just to do with swing speed it is also affected by the amount of pressure at impact which cause the shaft to flex and gives the inital kick which affects flight line and trajectary.
Fitting is a must and im very glad i paid that little bit more and had it done. All the best.

Redrage

HCP
Local club/country
Stirling GC, Scotland
Irons
Ping i10
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 and MP-60 3 Wood
I had Mizuno irons previously, but got fitted for Ping i10s last year and I am very happy with their custom fitting and the irons. Mizuno had just released a new range when I was getting fitted and none of them caught my eye like the models they replaced or the Ping s57. In the end they were a bit too hard to hit for me and the i10s seemed to suit me. What I would say is ensure you try several irons and even brands and you won't have any doubts about your choice and defo go to a fitting centre. The Ping demo days are excellent and the Mizuno fitting centre in Scotland was very impressive when I went for a nose.

backspin

Local club/country
Tower Ridge CC, Simsbury, CT, USA
Irons
MX19
Driver
MX700
Maybe the MX 19s would suit you fine. I have 'em in the R300 steel shaft. They are long, high and very, very accurate. Just make sure you have the lie adjusted to your specs.

Duck

HCP
Local club/country
Galway, Ireland
Irons
Mizuno, MX-200, 4-PW
Driver
Ping, Rapture, 12.5 Regular Flex
I had the MX-19 (3-SW) and was very happy with them (very easy to Hit). I recently changed to the MX-200 (4-SW) and there is just such a beautiful feel of these clubs (still very forgiving but not quite as forgiving as the MX-19) and they go about 10yrds further. If you can go the extra mile get the MX-200.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP52 4-PW
Driver
MX560 10.5 Reg
I went from MX 17s to MP52 after a custom fit at the National Fitting centre. Although they are a bit harder to hit I have found that I am now playing much more consistant golf then before as I have HAD to improve to hit them contstantly.

At the time of the fitting I was a 22 handicap and now 6 months later I am 18 and improving all the time.

I didnt see the point of getting something similar to the 17s as essentially the 19s and the new 200s are pretty much the same club in terms of what they will let you get away with!

HCP
Local club/country
Woodbridge Park
Irons
MX25 3 to PW Plus R series wedges 53 & 58
Driver
MX 560 10.5
You sound like you are in very much a simliar position to me and I did a lot of research and testing over the winter months. I am a 19 handicap and just changed from mt trusty MX17. I've had them since I was 28 handicap and promised myself I would upgrade when I got down to 20. I don't think the MX19's are worth looking at as they would be too similar to you 17's.

I would recommend that you go forged and the next step is MX25's or MX 200's and get them fitted. I went for the 25's in the end as you can still get new one's at cracking prices.

When I look down at the 25's they don't look much different to the 17's so you would feel at ease straight away. They feel so much softer and I don't have to swing so fast to make the ball go just as far and therefore accuracy has improved.

Best of luck.

Ifonly

HCP
Local club/country
Avisford Park, West Sussex
Irons
MX-100 6 to SW, Ben Sayers 3 and 4 rescue, Feel 60 deg lob wedge
Driver
Ping G5, 10.5 Regular
I recently changed from Wilsons to MX-100's. Not just because they were cheaper than the 200's but because I didn't feel enough of a difference to justify the extra cost - might be a high handicap thing though (20.4)!

On fitting they were also set up perfectly from off the shelf so they went home the same day I tried them :O)

HCP
Local club/country
Indian Peaks Golf Club, Colorado USA
Irons
MP-52 4-9, MP-T 47* 53* 58*
Driver
Ping G2 10.5*
roman_brown said:
I went from MX 17s to MP52 after a custom fit...
+1 for the MP-52. I wanted a club that gave me great feel and had decent forgiveness. After a fitting and a bake off with the Nike VR split cavity I settled on the MP-52. I really like having irons that give me feedback for when I mis-hit but are not so penalizing that the round isn't fun anymore.

HCP
Local club/country
Greenway Hall GC Stoke on Trent.
Irons
MP 57 Fitted 4- PW Dynalite super lite shafts MPT S/W MPR 52' Gap wedge
Driver
MX700 Aldilla NVS 65S MX700 5 wood Aldilla NVS 85S MX700 26 ' Aldila Reg all Mizuno fitted.
I agree with the 1st reply get fitted (you can't blame the tools then) is the way forward.
Happy golfing.

Top Bottom