buteman

HCP
Local club/country
Canada
Irons
Ping i3 6 - SW
Driver
Nike Covert 12 degree regular flex Kuro Kage shaft
I'm glad I found this forum, I'm sure I will find plenty of helpful information regarding Mizuno equipment. 
I'm a senior golfer in my early 70's, I love the game, I belong to a semi private club in central British Columbia where I hold a nine handicap.
At present I am keeping my swing going at Golftec and next week I will be fitted for all new Mizuno equipment. The club fitter is exceptional, he has an excellent reputation so I am comfortable putting myself into his hands. 

I've looked at other makes but Mizuno has such an excellent reputation that I have chosen them. The club fitter liked my choice of irons JPX " Hot Metal " 5 - 8 then JPX forged 9, wedge and gap wedge. The woods I'm not too sure on, my swing speed is between 85 - 90 mph. with my present driver. 

According to the fitter Mizuno woods for 2018 are " as good as the rest of them " but he suggested we go to a one degree higher loft in a driver ( my present driver is a Nike " Covert " 10.5 degree Kuro Kage regular shaft ). 
I tested the JPX 900 with a Grand Bassara lightweight shaft and the loft set at 11.5 degrees. I was quite shocked at the results.

First I hit 20 balls using my gamer ball, Callaway Chrome Soft X with my Nike driver then hit the same amount with the JPX 900. I was so surprised when we compared the results there was practically no difference in the launch angle, the grouping with the Mizuno was much tighter than the Nike. Sound and feel was for the most part a toss up, I basically kept my Nike driver for the past six years because the feel was excellent. 

The big difference was distance I averaged a 14 yard gain with the Mizuno driver which for a senior golfer is large. I did find the JPX to have an over abundance of adjustments but that being said I am almost sold on it due to the distance gain over my Nike.

MizunoMade

Local club/country
Sweden
Irons
Mizuno MP-5 KBS Tour 130x
Driver
Taylormade M2 2017 Project X LZ 6.0
Hi,

How did the fitting go?

I am not surprised at that result, the covert line had a low spin profile even though it was never really talked about.

I myself played the covert tour and it was a monster in distance but needed a perfect hit to stay om line. I think that is the secret with jpx900 and st180 as they spin low figures as well but with a more forgiving result. Jpx900 was the first driver that could match my distance with the covert tour but way more consistent.

I haved moved away for movable weigths as I cant stop tinkering so I was so happy egen the st180 came. I actually bought one from the US a few months Ago as they had not been released in Sweden yet, and without testing as I knew it would be exactly what I wanted.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Good to have you on board buteman (more of a leg man myself!) - No one here will be surprised at your findings - Mizuno have always made top quality irons & that is now also the case with their drivers woods & hybrids - Shame you are in Canada as, in the UK, we have some excellent "get togethers" in the form of forum day competitions & random games when forum members just arrange a game - It's a great way to get to play with others & spread the word about the forum & all things Mizuno - Enjoy your stay nonetheless ...
Paul

DGMP

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
buteman said:
I'm glad I found this forum, I'm sure I will find plenty of helpful information regarding Mizuno equipment. 
I'm a senior golfer in my early 70's, I love the game, I belong to a semi private club in central British Columbia where I hold a nine handicap.
At present I am keeping my swing going at Golftec and next week I will be fitted for all new Mizuno equipment. The club fitter is exceptional, he has an excellent reputation so I am comfortable putting myself into his hands. 

I've looked at other makes but Mizuno has such an excellent reputation that I have chosen them. The club fitter liked my choice of irons JPX " Hot Metal " 5 - 8 then JPX forged 9, wedge and gap wedge. The woods I'm not too sure on, my swing speed is between 85 - 90 mph. with my present driver. 

According to the fitter Mizuno woods for 2018 are " as good as the rest of them " but he suggested we go to a one degree higher loft in a driver ( my present driver is a Nike " Covert " 10.5 degree Kuro Kage regular shaft ). 
I tested the JPX 900 with a Grand Bassara lightweight shaft and the loft set at 11.5 degrees. I was quite shocked at the results.

First I hit 20 balls using my gamer ball, Callaway Chrome Soft X with my Nike driver then hit the same amount with the JPX 900. I was so surprised when we compared the results there was practically no difference in the launch angle, the grouping with the Mizuno was much tighter than the Nike. Sound and feel was for the most part a toss up, I basically kept my Nike driver for the past six years because the feel was excellent. 

The big difference was distance I averaged a 14 yard gain with the Mizuno driver which for a senior golfer is large. I did find the JPX to have an over abundance of adjustments but that being said I am almost sold on it due to the distance gain over my Nike.

Top Bottom