MX200 rust spots ... covered by warrenty?

Local club/country
Shifnal
Irons
Mizuno MX200 3-SW
Driver
Ping
I bought a set of MX200 irons about 6 months ago and have used them for about 3 months. Very pleased ... much prefer them to my previous (Ping) irons.

However, alarmed to see rust spots appearing where the club face is scratched. Even worse on the 56 degree sand wedge (Mizuno MPT Series).

I was not warned about the possibility of rusting when I bought the irons, and not given any advice on how to look after them, so my first inclination is to return them to the dealer. If they are like this after 3 months use what will they be like in two years? ... Ideally I've no wish to change them, but on balance I'd prefer to have a set of clubs that doesn't suffer from this problem - which I guess means non-forged irons.

Before going to the Dealer can I seek the opinion of others as to whether I'm justified in returning them? I've now read other posts in this forum about rust spots (and how to prevent them) but I'm not happy that I wasn't told about any of this when I was sold the clubs.

HCP
Local club/country
Ulverston Golf Club
Irons
Mizuno MP57 X100 +1"
Driver
Mizuno MP600 8.5° Fujikura Fit On
The first thing I'll say is don't be alarmed! Rust comes naturally with forged clubs, that is if you don't look after them properly.
I am very surprised to hear that you were not warned about the possibility of rust spots, before I even purchased my clubs I read plenty about maintenance and the do's and don'ts. The main cause of the rust will obviously be moisture but more importantly where the moisture came from. You will either have allowed the clubs to air dry after cleaning or, more likely, not wiped and cleaned them after a round.

You needn't worry though, depending on how severe the rust is your clubs can be reclaimed! I was in the same situation as you over the winter; it's cold and wet so you really can't be bothered to clean them after a round. After about a month without golf in January my clubs started to develop rust spots, I was actually quite worried. But I managed to find a chemical cleaner that, with a little elbow grease, would easily remove the rust spots!

Don't return your clubs, try and find something that can remove the rust. I used 'Barkeeper's Friend', a white powder you mix with water.

Top Bottom