jsizzle

HCP
Local club/country
Mitcham
Irons
Mizuno MX100 4-SW
Driver
Srixon
I have recently purchased a set of MX100 irons which i am delighted with. However, i did notice that the sole width on these irons does seem to vary in an unregular way.

I presume you would expect the sole width to increase from the 3 iron down to the SW. However, the 7 iron seems to have the widest sole, much wider in comparison to the 8 iron, which is a surprise to me.

Can anyone tell me if there is a reason for sole widths to vary un-uniformely for different irons?

Thanks,
John

Grilled Cheese

HCP
Local club/country
Mizuno Golf Club/USA
Irons
Split Set - MP H5 (3 - 5), MP-64 (6 - PW), MP T5 (51, 58)
Driver
Mizuno MP-630 10.5 with Fujikura F3 70 Stiff
Good Morning isizzle.

I know exactly what you're talking about the MX-100 sole widths and that is very observent of you. The reason for the jump in sole width from the 7 iron to 8 iron is because of a slight change in technology. From 4 iron to 7 iron the soles change as you would expect, as they also do from 8 iron all the way down to Wedge, but when you jump from 7 iron to 8 iron you go from a large, undercut pocket cavity in the 7 to simply an undercut cavity in the 8 (not really a pocket). Once you get to the 8 iron, the loft takes over and the forgiveness is there without the pocket. Also, the slightly thinner soles in the scoreing irons makes them more versitile around the greens. I hope this helps!

-chris

Attachments

Top Bottom