MX-950 Wedges -- GW vs Vokey 252-08

bygate

HCP
Local club/country
Birkdale
Irons
Nike Sumo2 SQ Hybrid (3h-4h); Mizuno MX-950 (5-PW); Vokey 252-08, 256-14, 258-08
Driver
Nike Sumo2 SQ 5900 (10.5* - Reg)
I recently purchased a set of MX-950's. I have been happy with these clubs as I am hitting them more consistently & further than the Titleist DCI's they replaced. I am a pretty high handy cap so this was an appropriate club for me. I was fitted for the MX-950's (2* upright).

I had been using a Vokey 248-06 for my PW. I had figured that I would continue to use the 248-06 rather than the MX-950 but in the end, I switched to using it for 3 reasons (high to low):
- On full swings, I am more consistent with MX-950 PW
- I like the feel of the MX-950 PW especially on mis-hits. I can still hear & tell when it happens, but the Vokey was a bit more harsh.
- The progression of the MX-950 was more in line with the overall set (i.e., the MX-950 are 1*-2* stronger than my old clubs).

Given this, I have thought about picking up the MX-950 GW or even one of the other Mizuno forged gap wedges. I am leaning towards the MX-950 GW:
- I figure its more forgiving (#1 on my PW choice) but was not sure if it would make that much difference for a GW.
- I can get the same shaft for the GW (i.e., graphite) as the rest of my irons. Again, I am not sure if this matters for a GW.

I plan to continue with lessons but realistically, will only be getting out to play or get to the driving range 1-2 times per week (i.e., while I plan to play more, I have two teenage daughters who will only be home for a couple more years... -- I figure once they are out of college, I will have more time and hopefully more $$'s to do more ;-)

I would like to try out one of the MX-950 GW but have not seen any in the local stores to try.

Anyway, feedback on my thought process would be great.

Top Bottom