MP20 Blending Question

rt_charger

Local club/country
Australia
I'm going to get fitted, but frankly I've not got the most confidence in these people but they are the best around for me, for how much I want to spend; figured I'd ask at the best place for this specific case.

I'm a good iron player, always have been. Multiple pros have stated I have the swing of a low single digits capper (my current cap is due to playing years without being fit and using clubs that are way out of line for me). I currently hit an old bladed Honma 6 iron (about 1 club weaker lofts) with an X200 160m (not fitted). With a fitted set I'd perhaps expect 5-10 more meters carry.

I'm looking to purchase a set of MP20 blades down to 7 iron for certain, as well for certain getting a HMB 3 iron to use a sort of driving iron with a 4 as well.

My question is, where should I off the blade and move to HMB, or perhaps MMC? I've contemplated MMC 5 and 6 iron, I've also thought of using blades down to 5 and using HMB 4 (I currently have good sucess with the honma blades down to '4' iron which is 5 iron loft, the 4 iron is a little low for me hence the HMB).

My misses when playing decent are more lateral due to poor delivery more than strike. Strikes usually are usually good but can stray off center and tend a little low or a bit fat, not as often heel to toe.

Would love some opinions, cheers.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
G'day! - Hope you are well away from the awful bush fires - They must be really bad as the media here (UK) are covering it on a daily basis - Anyway, as to your clubbing: - I have had a couple of "combo" sets (Mizuno, of course) - I play off 5 handicap & like you, am a good ball striker / iron player - I am getting on a bit though (62) so the long irons are getting tougher to hit & I only have 5 as my longest iron, with a 4 hybrid instead of a 4 iron - My cut off point has always been to have blades up to 7 iron and then something more forgiving from 6 iron onwards ...
As you can see from my bag, I have gone away from blades now & use JPX919 irons - I have them from 5-PW and find no problem hitting the 5 & 6 irons - I have Dynamic Gold S300 AMT shafts in this set & swear by them - The short irons are heavier & the long irons are lighter, & this works really well for me - I can "almost" hit the 4 iron as well, but still prefer the #4 hybrid to the 4 iron, so carry that - Hope that helps?
Paul

rt_charger

Local club/country
Australia
G'day! - Hope you are well away from the awful bush fires - They must be really bad as the media here (UK) are covering it on a daily basis - Anyway, as to your clubbing: - I have had a couple of "combo" sets (Mizuno, of course) - I play off 5 handicap & like you, am a good ball striker / iron player - I am getting on a bit though (62) so the long irons are getting tougher to hit & I only have 5 as my longest iron, with a 4 hybrid instead of a 4 iron - My cut off point has always been to have blades up to 7 iron and then something more forgiving from 6 iron onwards ...
As you can see from my bag, I have gone away from blades now & use JPX919 irons - I have them from 5-PW and find no problem hitting the 5 & 6 irons - I have Dynamic Gold S300 AMT shafts in this set & swear by them - The short irons are heavier & the long irons are lighter, & this works really well for me - I can "almost" hit the 4 iron as well, but still prefer the #4 hybrid to the 4 iron, so carry that - Hope that helps?
Paul
Cheers Paul, I appreciate the concerm thanks - I am thankfully located in a location to not be troubled by the fires but man, the smoke is an absolute killer.... it's like smoking 2 packs a day when its bad...

Yeah, that does help actually. Has that always been something you've done? I'm luckily still young and agile so the longer irons aren't necessarily that big a problem, it's more of a question if the forgiveness is required - seems there's enough merit to it, especially considering this will be my first new set of blades.

Thanks. Ryan

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
Pay attention to the difference in sol width/design, especially if you're in the Sandbelt. Forgiveness in strike/turf interaction for some has more impact than lateral. Personally I've always played blades throughout for that reason. IMHO the MMC is to close to the blades, so I'd blend with HMB in the long irons.

If you don't have any good fitters nearby, take your time and make sure to test not only the 7 iron if you can.

rt_charger

Local club/country
Australia
Pay attention to the difference in sol width/design, especially if you're in the Sandbelt. Forgiveness in strike/turf interaction for some has more impact than lateral. Personally I've always played blades throughout for that reason. IMHO the MMC is to close to the blades, so I'd blend with HMB in the long irons.

If you don't have any good fitters nearby, take your time and make sure to test not only the 7 iron if you can.
Appreciate the input. You feel like there's not enough difference in the blade vs mmc to warrant them in 5 and 6 iron? I was also just trying to protect against the odd heel/toe strike that may come with longer irons.

Yes, I would definitely hit the other irons if I could but apparently I can only hit 6 iron with this fitter (it's one of those average fitting places - not quite txg/club champion, better than big box store amatuer fits). So hence the questions because I want the most information possible before entering the fit, plus I don't trust the fitters as much as the wealth of knowledge I can find from the likes of here, golfWRX, and videos from guys like TXG.

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
If he has the 6 iron in all three models you should at least be able to find out if or how the MMC & HMB work for you in the mid irons. For some the blade will result in a more consistent strike than the MMC, for some vice versa. Use foot powder to check impact if he doesn't have a Quad/HMT. If you post the results/LM data/optimizer specs and your feedback I'd be happy to give my 2ct.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Cheers Paul, I appreciate the concerm thanks - I am thankfully located in a location to not be troubled by the fires but man, the smoke is an absolute killer.... it's like smoking 2 packs a day when its bad...

Yeah, that does help actually. Has that always been something you've done? I'm luckily still young and agile so the longer irons aren't necessarily that big a problem, it's more of a question if the forgiveness is required - seems there's enough merit to it, especially considering this will be my first new set of blades.

Thanks. Ryan
Combo sets are something fairly new to me - As I said, as I get older the long irons get harder to hit (for me) so I was keen to play blades for the control of the short irons, but a bit of a cavity back in the long irons worked well for me - IMHO the JPX919's I now use offer the full package in terms of looks, feel & playability - Plus, if they are good enough for the World No 1 there must be something right about them? - As far as the MP20's (& most modern blades) they are so much easier to hit than the "bread knives" from when I first used them in the 70's & 80's - Modern design builds in some forgiveness & the heads are substantially larger than the tiny things I used to play back in the day - I mishit with a modern blade will still get you 75% whereas with the old club it would be more like 30%
I can only reiterate when you go to test the MP20's do yourself a favour & check out the 919's
Paul

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Ive had combo sets before and I’m with Paul on this. The JPX919 tour is the all round performer.

Top Bottom