DGMP

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
Over the recent months I have acquired full sets of the following Mizuno Mp iron models, all fitted with DGS300 shafts.

MP63
MP69
MP4
MP15
MP 5

First off, I applaud Mizuno Corporation for making this type of comparison test possible. No other brand that I know of introduces new iron models, but still  maintains the same finished lengths, lie angles, and lofts. This specification consistency allows for a fair comparison of various models.

As for results, after playing a few rounds of golf, as well as range time, with each of the above models, my observation is that these MP models are all superb performing iron designs. Below I have listed a few criteria categories.

APPEARANCE: each model is of medium type head size. The MP 4 has the smallest head of the fives sets above, but it is still a relatively large head (compared to classic blades of the 1970's and 1980's era). All five sets have a brilliant chrome finish and are very attractive.

DISTANCE: virtually identical carry distance produced from all five models. For reference, my PW=avg 120 carry yardage, 7 iron =avg 155 carry yardage, 5 iron =175 yard carry average. These yardages are at seal level, flat terrain.

TRAJECTORY: virtually identical trajectory from all five models.My swing produces reasonably high trajectory shots from the wedge through the 5 iron. There is not a 4 or 3 iron made with which I am able to strike high trajectory shots; for me the 3 and 4 long irons fly flow then bounce and roll.

SOUND: compared to the MP63, 69, 4, and 5 models, the MP15 has a more dense , muted impact sound.This is true for both quality strikes as well as slightly mis hit shots.

FEEL: for golf shots I believe that SOUND equals FEEL; the two are the same thing.

So, my initial observations are as above, and I attribute most of that to the fact that the lofts, lies, and shafts are the same for each of my sets. My golf handicap averages about a 2, so I am a respectable ball striker, or at least better than average. I am sure Tour pros such as Chris Wood or Luke Donald could  offer up much more detail as to the subtle playing differences among MP sets, but I am not of that caliber player.

I will continue rotating the above five sets, both for golf course and range play. It's a true  pleasure for me to be able to enjoy Mizuno's fine products.

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Good to hear your thoughts DGMP.

Keep us posted with updates as you continue your testing, especially if you find any noticeable differences between the sets...

DGMP

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
Celtic Bill,

It's been nearly a year and I've concluded that the MP63 is the best all around fit for my swing and game.
Regarding feel-sound I believe all the MP models I've tried to be very similar.
The 63's sole design-shape is what like best about this model.

DGMP

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
Now on to my second year playing the MP63. I've switched out the original standard grips and have installed the GolfPride MCC +4 model grips.
One factor I've come to appreciate about the MP63 is that the design of the 3 and 4 irons (slightly deeper cavity) makes them relatively forgiving. I've experimented with a hybrid or two but keep going back to preferring the MP63's long irons.
The MP63's short and mid irons are sensational.

DGMP

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
For the past several months I started carrying the (MP63) 3-iron on a regular basis (instead of rotating it in and out of the bag against a hybrid as I had done for years). This means both the 3-iron as well as my JPX EZ 5-wood get more play (than if I had a hybrid in the bag).
As it has played out, I do not regret not having a hybrid. Specifically, the 3-iron is used for medium trajectory bounce and roll shots (short narrow par 4 tee box shots, some par 5 second shot layup shots, and on occasion a 220 or so yardage par 3 tee shot where there is room to land short and bounce-roll to the middle of the green.
From a lie within the rough, if I open the club face a touch, and grip down on the shaft a bit, the 5-wood has proven to be a suitable replacement for those 180-200 yard shots where I formerly swung a hybrid.
So, I've found that the bounce and roll from a 3-iron is often useful. The higher trajectory of a 5 metal is sometimes the more appropriate shot. Keeping the 3-iron and 5-fairway metal in the bag, and learning the shots these clubs can produce, has me thinking it's a sensible set up , without a compelling need for a hybrid.

Top Bottom