MONTY - Using The New JPX-800 Pro Irons!!!!!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
I came across this interesting photo from the cover of a Danish Golf Magazine.

The article was actually Monty giving some golfing tips, however, if you look closely at the picture on the cover, you will see that he is using a JPX-800 Pro iron!!

A real coup for Mizuno if they can tie Monty down to a contract, but even if they haven't - it speaks volumes for the clubs if he is using them without being paid to!!!!

Attachments

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Needs to ditch the Yonex visor though!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
I heard that Monty's been fiddling about with Mizuno fittings on the sly for a while and really liked the 300s.

The Yonex "stable" of players does seem an odd one - there's 2 basically.... Monty and Ryo Ishikawa - two golfers who's image and place in the golf world couldn't be more different.

Interesting to see him actually being pictured using Mizuno's though.

A bit like Scratch part owner Ryan Moore using Pings this weekend ...

Logie

HCP
Local club/country
Fleetwood GC/UK http://www.fleetwoodgolf.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno MP Fli H4 3 & 4 Irons; MP64 5 - PW irons; MP T-10 52 & 58 deg wedges all with NS Pro 1150 G stiff shafts: MP650 22 degree hybrid regular Orochi shaft.
Driver
JPX 850 10.5 degrees: Fujikura Motore Speeder VC6.3 Stiff.
Couldn't think of a worse ambassador for Mizuno.

Mizo

HCP
-
Local club/country
Efteling, Netherlands
Irons
18° MP FLi-Hi/MP-57/3-PW/PX 5.5, MP-T/56-10/R300
Driver
MX-560/9.5/Proforce V2S 66g
Logie said:
Couldn't think of a worse ambassador for Mizuno.
[Insert senior flex joke here]

But seriously, if you look at the current Mizuno product range, or even just the way the JPX800 advertisement looks. Monty is really not in the target demographic.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Whilst Monty may not be a current top performer - let's not forget that he once dominated the European Tour Order of Merit year after year!! He is one of the best players never to win a major and is the current reigning Ryder Cup winning Captain.

Monty is Marmite - you either love him or hate him, but that aside, I think Monty would be a great ambassador for Mizuno!!

Logie

HCP
Local club/country
Fleetwood GC/UK http://www.fleetwoodgolf.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno MP Fli H4 3 & 4 Irons; MP64 5 - PW irons; MP T-10 52 & 58 deg wedges all with NS Pro 1150 G stiff shafts: MP650 22 degree hybrid regular Orochi shaft.
Driver
JPX 850 10.5 degrees: Fujikura Motore Speeder VC6.3 Stiff.
While Monty was a good player in his day, that was a long time ago.

The world is changing and a new young breed of pros are bursting on the scene. Mizuno with its recent investment in all areas of its product range and especially in Swing DNA is trying to be at the front of design.

Therefore being represented by a rapidly fading player is not the best reflection of where Mizuno is now and going in the future.

Lets look to the future, Mizuno should be represented by players like Luke Donald, Chris Woods, GMac, McIlroy, etc.

If we need a golfing great to sponsor, how about the next Ryder Cup captain, Olazabal?

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
There's no official tie in between Mizuno / Colin Montgomerie. This isn't a sponsorship (he is with Yonex), just an equipment choice / experiment. Not sure if Colin is using the JPX800 Pro now, or whether it was a one off test.

HCP
Local club/country
Bremen, Germany
However, I think that Monty would be a good Ambassador for Mizuno golf. He is in an age as many golfers are and he is still a respected personality in the golf scene, especially after leading the European Ryder Cup Team to get back the trophy. I believe he could make Mizuno's products acceptable for many golfers who are more traditional. Beside this, seeing a top class golfer like him playing the JPX 800 pro gives them a serious sportive reputation and will increase the acceptance of this club range for many amateur golfer seeking to play the same material as the pros.

swingslow

HCP
Local club/country
Congleton, England
Do not want Monty anywhere near Mizuno. He comes across well in TV interviews and as Ryder Cup captain. But I have personally observed totally unacceptable interaction with spectators and children at the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship on the European Tour on 2 occasions in 2 different years.

To call him a 'grumpy old man' would be as mildly as I could put it.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
swingslow said:
Do not want Monty anywhere near Mizuno. He comes across well in TV interviews and as Ryder Cup captain. But I have personally observed totally unacceptable interaction with spectators and children at the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship on the European Tour on 2 occasions in 2 different years.

To call him a 'grumpy old man' would be as mildly as I could put it.
Sorry Swingslow - I can't agree. I've met him twice at the Scottish Open and whilst not the most chatty or approachable, he is no worse than 99% of the other tour pro's I have observed.

Whilst I don't think that having Monty as an "official" Mizuno staffer would be catch of the decade for Mizuno - I don't think it would do anything to damage the image or reputation either.

D.

swingslow

HCP
Local club/country
Congleton, England
We are going to have to agree to disagree re Monty's bi-polar personality..........

And you are right that 95% of these pro's are unfriendly and distant from their fans.

Some notable exceptions from my personal experience are:

Richard Finch, Peter Gustafsson, Damien McGrane & Zane Scotland (despite his awful run of injury and poor form). And, of course, Luke Donald who I have chated to a couple of times.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Adding to the list of pleasant pro's...

Phil Mickelson
Ernie Els
Miguel Angel Jiminez
Sergio Garcia

It's funny... The BIG names seem to be the down to earth guys and it's the wannabe fringe players that are the arrogant stuck up unpleasant ones!!

dfarron

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Blackhawk CC
Irons
Ping i-25 irons, KBS C Taper + stiff, Red/white Golf Pride NDMC
Driver
Ping G , 10.5 loft, Alta S shafft, , Red/white Golf Pride NDMC
Monty has been flirting with Mizuno stuff for 3 years and visits the tour trailer often. He brings visibility to the brand and he is very knowledgeable about equipment. And he really likes Mizuno!

wally

HCP
Local club/country
Caldwell Golf Club
Irons
MIZUNO MX300
Lets face it, we all see the errors of our way sometime in life.

Monty has realized that Mizuno's are by far the best iron on the market, just more suprised its the JPX range and not the MP irons he is playing about with.

Good on him i say.

Top Bottom