Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
I'm not sure if I've completely missed or misunderstood this, but is there an option to order clubs in 'traditional' or 'modern' lofts?

When at a fitting yesterday, I mentioned that the only reason I would purchase the MMC would be if the stronger loft was actually giving me the extra distance.  I like the way the 2 degree difference blends back in with a 1 degree diff in the 9 iron and same loft in the PW (comparing to the other MP18 models).  If distance was gained in the longer irons then this would close the gap between my 4 iron and hybrid.

I was told that I could custom order the MP18 SC in 'modern lofts'.  I said I would rather not as I didn't want to adjust the bound of the clubs.  The surprising response was that if modern lofts are selected at time of order then the lofts would be different (i.e. MMC lofts in the Muscle & SC) but the bounce would not change.  So different heads available for the two different loft options?

When later looking at the fitting software there is an option to choose modern or traditional lofts.  So, is this correct, have I completely missed it, is it a bit of a secret, are there two different sets of heads for each loft setup?  Personally I think this is a great idea, but can't see why Mizuno would produce different sets of heads, bearing in mind they already have different heads (for longer shafts?).

For the record, I really liked the feel of the SC over the MMC and distance was better with the SC traditional lofts (30 degree 6 iron) than the MMC modern lofts (28 degree) , so I went with SC in traditional, but did toy with the idea of the stronger lofted SC.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Both the MB and SC are set up with 'traditional' lofts.
The MMC is set with 'modern' loft.

If you wanted to blend a set between MMC and either SC or MB, you can set the MMC to 'traditional' loft.  That would also even out the offset.

Obviously gives other option - but it was mainly set up to cater for the above,

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
MPX said:
Both the MB and SC are set up with 'traditional' lofts.
The MMC is set with 'modern' loft.

If you wanted to blend a set between MMC and either SC or MB, you can set the MMC to 'traditional' loft.  That would also even out the offset.

Obviously gives other option - but it was mainly set up to cater for the above,
Thanks for the response MPX.  I wondered how you would get around the loft gap when blending MMC with MB or SC.  So are there actually different heads in each set for traditional & modern lofts or is it just a case of adjusting the standard lofts to suit?

Top Bottom