Jonny M

HCP
Local club/country
Essex
Irons
MP18-SC 4-PW; MMC FLI_HI 2 Iron; MP T7 50, 55, 60
Driver
Driver: Titleist 915 D3; 3W: TM M3
Don't like to have to say anything poor about Mizuno gear, but has anyone else had any experience with the new BR-DRI (NOT) waterproof stand bag - bought one recently for my son and just returned it as "not fit for purpose".

After a round on Thurs in rainy but not biblical conditions (didn't bother with a waterproof, just used a brolly), every pocket on the bag was full of water (and I mean pooling in the bases, not just a bit damp). iPhone in the valuables pocket had water running all over it and wallet in the side pocket had to have water poured out of it. All other pocket (non of which were ever opened during the round) were equally wet.

My son described it as less waterproof than his non-waterproof Mizuno cart bag and not a patch on his Ogio Aquatech bag (that unfortunately has 2 zips that have failed). Indeed, he commented that he gets less water in the pockets of the Ogio bag with the failed zips than he got in the Mizuno.

So, what are peoples experiences and what are peoples views on other waterproof bags on the market. Look forward to some lively comments!

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Yeah I don't like to disrespect Mizuno equipment, but I've had a few of their bags & haven't been that impressed - I just changed my waterproof cart bag (Sun Mountain H2NO) which started to leak in one pocket after 8 years of heavy use! - I couldn't afford to buy another H2NO bag, so I have a Big Max Aqua cart bag now & typically, I got it just as the heatwave hit the UK, so can't comment on it's waterproof-ness? - I bought it on recommendation of a pal who has the carry version & he rates it highly after 2x seasons - Hope that helps?
Paul

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
Get another Ogio. That's what I used for carry bag and cart bag.

No way should any golf bag not be waterproof. Not like it needs to breathe, is it, like clothing.

Only complaint with the Ogio is that I need to superglue some of the seals next to the zips now and again.

Jens0n

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
JPX 921 Forged
+1 for Sun Mountain H2NO, four years on and can't fault it, other than an incident of my own making last year.
Put a water bottle in a pocket with a loose lid. 9 holes later I can testify that as well as the bag the bags being watertight from the outside-in, they're also watertight from the indside-out!

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Don't like to have to say anything poor about Mizuno gear, but has anyone else had any experience with the new BR-DRI (NOT) waterproof stand bag - bought one recently for my son and just returned it as "not fit for purpose".

After a round on Thurs in rainy but not biblical conditions (didn't bother with a waterproof, just used a brolly), every pocket on the bag was full of water (and I mean pooling in the bases, not just a bit damp). iPhone in the valuables pocket had water running all over it and wallet in the side pocket had to have water poured out of it. All other pocket (non of which were ever opened during the round) were equally wet.

My son described it as less waterproof than his non-waterproof Mizuno cart bag and not a patch on his Ogio Aquatech bag (that unfortunately has 2 zips that have failed). Indeed, he commented that he gets less water in the pockets of the Ogio bag with the failed zips than he got in the Mizuno.

So, what are peoples experiences and what are peoples views on other waterproof bags on the market. Look forward to some lively comments!
What happened to the bag Jonny? Does it still exist somewhere so we might be able to check it.

Jonny M

HCP
Local club/country
Essex
Irons
Driver
What happened to the bag Jonny? Does it still exist somewhere so we might be able to check it.
Yep, been sent back to the retailer,should arrive there today so I guess it'll be back with you soon - Very well respected retailer on this forum who I've got nothing bad to say about. Happy to pm you MPX if you want to know

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
We've got that. Have done some research and there's been no history of returns /complaints at all on this bag. It's made in same factory as another well known and trusted waterproof bag - so curious to get this bag back and have a look.

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
I have one of the earlier models of the bag, the Aerolite WP. Had it 4/5 years and never had a problem. Used it in many a downpour. Great bag & fully waterproof.

HCP
Local club/country
Machrihanish Dunes
Irons
Mizuno mx 200 4-pw
Driver
Adams xtd 12 degrees
I have one of the earlier models of the bag, the Aerolite WP. Had it 4/5 years and never had a problem. Used it in many a downpour. Great bag & fully waterproof.
Ive the carry stand wp one and still waterproof. Currently got a callaway aquadry which is good but like the look of the br dry ones. This thread has kind of put me off. But if mpx cud hint at the other brand, it may restore my faith?

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Ive the carry stand wp one and still waterproof. Currently got a callaway aquadry which is good but like the look of the br dry ones. This thread has kind of put me off. But if mpx cud hint at the other brand, it may restore my faith?
First part of the name might rhyme with ‘fun’. But not sure I can give that info out.

Jonny M

HCP
Local club/country
Essex
Irons
Driver
Just to let people who are interested know, the bag is with Miz and MPX has been his usual star self in keeping me updated. Much appreciated.

I'm certainly not put off anything Mizuno as one thing I can say for certain is that Mizuno customer service is top notch.

I'm sure MPX and I will update you as appropriate.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Update.

We've tested the bag pretty thoroughly. However the water got into the pockets....we couldn't make it happen again. A friend of mine now has the 'suspect' bag for the winter - he'll give it a long term test as well. New bag on the way to Jonny - as we've done untold things to his original.

I'm confident the waterproof bag is as waterproof as it can be.

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
Still using mine perfect for our climate no problems at all.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Yeah I don't like to disrespect Mizuno equipment, but I've had a few of their bags & haven't been that impressed - I just changed my waterproof cart bag (Sun Mountain H2NO) which started to leak in one pocket after 8 years of heavy use! - I couldn't afford to buy another H2NO bag, so I have a Big Max Aqua cart bag now & typically, I got it just as the heatwave hit the UK, so can't comment on it's waterproof-ness? - I bought it on recommendation of a pal who has the carry version & he rates it highly after 2x seasons - Hope that helps?
Paul
Hello ... Yes I did mean to resurrect this old thread about water proof golf bags! - Further to my comments above, I strongly urge you NOT to buy a Big Max Aqua or any other of their bags - After less than 2 years use the club divider at the top began to wear & the metal revealed underneath would cause the dreaded "bag wear" marks if I hadn't protected my graphite shafted clubs - Most recently some of the water proof zips started to fail & let water in ...
So, although I am going to wait until October to replace it (birthday!) I would like some recommendations for water proof golf bags - I only use a cart / trolley bags, so ideally recommendations for one of those - It's good to know from this thread that Mizuno bags are made by the same manufacturers that make the "Solar Alp" bag ;)
Paul

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
JPX 900 Forged 5-PW, JPX FliHi 4, T7 50, 54, 58 wedges. Odyssey Tank putter
Driver
GT180 driver & 3 wood, JPX 900 3 Hybrid
Hello ... Yes I did mean to resurrect this old thread about water proof golf bags! - Further to my comments above, I strongly urge you NOT to buy a Big Max Aqua or any other of their bags - After less than 2 years use the club divider at the top began to wear & the metal revealed underneath would cause the dreaded "bag wear" marks if I hadn't protected my graphite shafted clubs - Most recently some of the water proof zips started to fail & let water in ...
So, although I am going to wait until October to replace it (birthday!) I would like some recommendations for water proof golf bags - I only use a cart / trolley bags, so ideally recommendations for one of those - It's good to know from this thread that Mizuno bags are made by the same manufacturers that make the "Solar Alp" bag ;)
Paul
+1 for the recommendation not to buy any bag from Big Max. Badly designed and poor quality manufacturing/materials IME.

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Paul
Hi Paul,

This is also something I've been looking at a water proof golf bag, Its not that I'm especially keen to play golf in the rain but for the times that you cant avoid it would be nice to know that at the very least your clubs and personal belongings were being protected from the rain..!,

at the moment I have the Mizuno Pro cart bag in black & grey and it's about as waterproof as a sponge, I would really like it to be a Mizuno waterproof golf bag if possible there are two Mizuno bags that I've look at one is the BR-DR1 and the other is the BR-D4..?,

And like Paul I would welcome any feed back on the two Mizuno bags I've mentioned or recommendations for alternative makes of bags

John

LOS

Local club/country
England
at the moment I have the Mizuno Pro cart bag in black & grey and it's about as waterproof as a sponge,

John
John as most of the modern golf bags use the same type of materials as waterproof jackets etc have you ever tried spraying your bag with Nikwax TX Direct spray?
I use it on my waterproof jackets. https://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/tx-direct-spray-on/#

I am also on the lookout for a new cart bag as my really old Wilson Staff is starting to fall apart. I am finding that a lot of these modern bags are really lightweight and some of the material looks flimsy. I have found it is of little use asking people what would be a good replacement as those who have had good reliability from their bags over a number of years have models which haven't been made for a long time. At present I am using a 2 year old waterproof stand bag on a cart which is not really satisfactory.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Sun Mountain H2NO bags.... you cannot you wrong with these.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Sun Mountain H2NO bags.... you cannot you wrong with these.
I know & as mentioned above my H2NO bag lasted 8 years before leaking - I was just hoping that others had caught up with SM quality wise? - It is good know that Mizuno (& Titleist) get their bags made by them - Their prices are a bit more in my budget to be honest - Maybe if the family give generously in October & I can shell out on the real deal (all donations welcome btw!)
Paul

Top Bottom