Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
All,

As mooted, I and a few others think that this might be the way to go in order for a social and golfing event to survive on the forum.
It’s obvious numbers are now getting scarce on both events, so perhaps working on putting people in the position of a single event with better access will boost participation.

I am willing to work with anyone to move this forward. Let’s keep the forum alive!!!

This is open discussion. I have a few ideas on initial venues and dates etc. But want to hear what people think on:

*price range
*dates
*courses
*content of event

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
To start, my idea is that the event should take place in either July or August when most folk can get time off and to guarantee weather.

2nd of all I think of you do Friday/Saturday or Sunday/Monday you have more options for VFM. Personally for 2 rounds of golf B&B with an evening meal & prize money, I would be looking at around £150 max and that is the top end.

I think that courses come 2nd to location and facilities. They will choose themselves but as an initial stab, anywhere around Leeds would IMHO provide everyone with multiple options of transport and a fair journey length from the extreme south or north.

Finally, I think that 2 rounds are a good idea to decide a winner but it could mean half the field is out of the running on the second day so dampens enthusiasm. A single round Medal would be my option but open to ideas on either Stableford, Medal or Medalford.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
So, first round, Am-Am team comp @3/4 handicap stab. Second round, singles TBC

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Having been at several of the Northern events over the years I'd say that Stableford is the way to go. there area a vast variety of handicaps playing at an event, and Stableford makes it fairer for all involved. The results of the Northern event in recent years have shown this isn't skewed for or against higher or lower handcaps as winners have come from across the range.

Timing is another important factor. We have gone early season as there seemed to be deals available at that time of year. Our first two events were at a members club who could fit us in on a Saturday early season, which was idea back then. Mid summer will affect many who have family holidays etc, not convinced July / Aug would be best times to have the event. My own feeling for this years Northern event is that it is too late in the season and clashes with our own Club priorities and possibly too near the main holiday season. Just my own thoughts, no condemnation of any of the organisers intended at all.

In the years since this became a two day event, the first day has been a bit of fun and a chance to shake off the cobwebs. The second day has been the main event. A multi day event would make things a lot more difficult for some of our less sprightly players ( I include myself in this group ;) ) Two days golf and a bit of wild partying are a lot to handle for the untrained athlete ;)

As for price range, I do think £150 for a resort type course is a bit on the low side, even for just one night.

Last edited:

chrism_s

HCP
Local club/country
Brookmans Park GC, Herts
Irons
MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3 & 4 | JPX 919 Tour 5-PW | S18 49/06 54/12 58/08 | KBS Tour X Stiff
Driver
TaylorMade M1 (2016) - Fujikura Pro 71 XLR8 Tour X
Like the idea Brattz. For timing I echo DCB's view, July / August clash too much with vacation / family commitments too often to get attendance. As well as this costs are highest in that period, so may be a bit more restrictive.

I would say May or September are probably still the best months, but that's just my view.

As for timing I think having to take a day off work can also be a constraint, hence I've always targeted Sat-Sun for Southern events as I'm always struggling to explain to the mrs why I have no holiday left as it has all gone on golf weekends and she has masses left. I know this is not the same for the Northern event, but that may be a function of there being more travel to get to the Northern one.

Def keen to attend if another event makes it onto the calendar, thanks for putting your hand up Brattz.

chrism_s

HCP
Local club/country
Brookmans Park GC, Herts
Irons
MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3 & 4 | JPX 919 Tour 5-PW | S18 49/06 54/12 58/08 | KBS Tour X Stiff
Driver
TaylorMade M1 (2016) - Fujikura Pro 71 XLR8 Tour X
Oh yes, and Stableford all the way, makes for a much more inclusive competition.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Thanks so far guys. April/May you can get some good deals. Is everyone so far ok on one night or is 2 a definite?

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
I’d be more inclined to go September after the school holidays. More likely to get better weather. That said, golf enthusiasm tends to be higher at the start of the season 😂

As for location, I’d say Sheffield area would be fairly central. A good 4 hours from most outer reaches of the UK unless anyone is travelling down from the Highlands.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
The other consideration has been availability of buggies for those who need one.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Good idea Brattz - My thoughts:
I'm in a good position in some respects (no work for a start) but my experience of travelling to Formby Hall (Liverpool) would certainly give me reservations about a venue any further north? - It's about 225 miles from here to Liverpool & the similar from Glasgow to Liverpool (?)
Time of year doesn't affect me, but I'd prefer before or after school holidays
Venue is tricky as there is always a balance to be struck between a decent course where you pay more v a lesser course where the price is better
2 day event with 18 holes on each ideal, with 1x night accommodation
Format of a fun / team game on day 1 & the serious stuff on day two - Stableford probably fairer with wide span of handicaps
Paul

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Egersund Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
St200 driver, MP650 3 wood, JPX 800, hybrid,
For me, May time for the Northern and September for the southern or a Middlethern, which for me deepending on travel time from gatwick or heathrow, ,
As for format Stableford works best, first day / round usually a casual with a small wager / kitty .
As for venue, its good with a Country golf club / hotel complex, , why not be different, do it like a society, book the course and with lunch and dinner on the saturday, use friday for local rstuarant / pub, for sosialise , use local hotel or B&B, ... just my usual shitty input.........

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
Saving money up already yeahhhhhh

tonytim8

HCP
Local club/country
Essendon GC Herts
Irons
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5 - pw, 3 JPX 900 Rescue, MP T7 51 & MP T7 57. Putter: Evnroll ER2 Black
Driver
Mizuno JPX 900 10.5 degree
Happy to go with the flow but September tends to be difficult for me. Happy to travel.

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Craigmiller Park in Edinburgh
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
Great idea Brattz and good input from everyone as always.

I've just about run out of organising energy so if I do get involved then it will just be golf, beer and the craic.

Top Bottom