Mizuno jpx 900 hot metal irons

HCP
Local club/country
Nelson uk
Ordered a custom fit set of mizuno jpx 900 hot metal irons on 14th aug 17 to be built at cumbernauld in scotland.On friday 18th aug i was told that they had run out of jpx hot metal heads and wouldn't be getting any in till 7th of september.Mizuno prides themself on a 5 day custom fit service which is great but how does a company like mizuno run out of heads on a iron that's nearly 12 months old?Also reading several posts on the internet this sort of thing has happened a few times on various items.I can't believe mizuno suddenly got a rush for this club so i think its poor management of stock levels to be caught out like this.There are too many other good manufactures out there to be complacent and think people will wait a month to get there clubs and I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my order.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
It's not all heads - but we generally won't send out a part complete set.  Generally its some of the peripheral lofts that can run low - GW and 4 iron.  It's harder to forecast that area when every set is custom build.

HCP
Local club/country
Nelson uk
My order was for 5-sw no gap wedge.I phoned mizuno golf customer service and they said that they had run out of heads and were advising all retailers that until after the 7th september which is when they are due into the factory, No 900 hot metal sets of irons will be available because they havent got the heads to make any kind of set Which for a company the size of mizuno is astonishing. 

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Just out of interest Neil, what made you go for 5 to SW and miss out the GW and what do you have to fill the 10 degree gap between PW and SW?

Cheers.  CB.

LOS

Local club/country
England
While there is probably a bit of an art to the forecasting there does seem to have been a number of instances of shortage of heads and I wonder if this has occurred, in part, because of Mizuno policy. In the presidents statement he did say
"In order to improve our gross margin ratio we will explore all avenues, such as creating high value-added products,but also work on a variety of ways to decrease costs, set fair sales prices, prevent unnecessary discount sales with better inventory control ......    It is possible they have just reduced the amount of stock they hold to reduce waste.

http://corp.mizuno.com/en/investors/message.aspx

HCP
Local club/country
Nelson uk
Hi,I currently game a cleveland rtx 3 50 deg which fits fine for gapping.I must admit i am buying the sand wedge blind having not  even seen one in the flesh and i thought buying 2 wedges blind was too much of a risk,So if the sand wedge turns out ok then I'll probably order the gap wedge later.If i order it in september i might get it for christmas.The thing that has really pis### me off is.Their was no mention of lack of heads when the order went in to mizuno and they must of known and it took a week to inform me.In the mean time i
sold my irons,This causes a major problem because i am going on a golfing holiday to portugal on the 6th of september and all i have is a old set of callaways in the loft that haven't seen the light of day for about 8 years.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I can understand your frustration & had similar experiences with my JPX900 driver (ran out of heads) and my JPX900F irons - UK / Europe does seem to get a raw deal in terms of this happening probably because we are a much smaller user base than those in Japan & the US (?) 
In terms of your holiday, why not use one of the companies that will supply golf clubs to you in Portugal (I presume they still are in operation?) - The added bonus is you don't have to haul your clubs on holiday with you, or pay a ridiculous amount to the airline to take your own bats with you (?)
Paul

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Neilhf said:
Hi,I currently game a cleveland rtx 3 50 deg which fits fine for gapping.I must admit i am buying the sand wedge blind having not  even seen one in the flesh and i thought buying 2 wedges blind was too much of a risk,So if the sand wedge turns out ok then I'll probably order the gap wedge later.If i order it in september i might get it for christmas.The thing that has really pis### me off is.Their was no mention of lack of heads when the order went in to mizuno and they must of known and it took a week to inform me.In the mean time i
sold my irons,This causes a major problem because i am going on a golfing holiday to portugal on the 6th of september and all i have is a old set of callaways in the loft that haven't seen the light of day for about 8 years.
I think jumping from PW to SW in the 900HM and then having a totally different wedge inbetween would seriously mess with my head :).  Personally I would have stopped at PW and then gone for both extra wedges later if the PW performed well, but I do see where you are coming from.

The communication issue about the delay isn't always a Mizuno thing.  Most stores are aware of delays but don't seem to pass info on to the customer at the time of order.  The unexpected popularity of the JPX900 driver (as PaulBoy mentioned) and certain iron models this year led to a shortage in heads, but this was communicated by Mizuno and MPX posted several updates on the forum.

Hopefully the wait will be worthwhile and the irons will perform once you get delivery.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Hi Neil

Customer Service told us that they spoke to you on the phone and all was explained.  Can appreciate the frustration when things aren't immediate - but we do inform all of our retailers straight away if there are any head shortages.  

Forecasting the heads is a very complex job as people are ordering so differently every year.  The long irons / wedges and set mixing is evolving rapidly.  Golfers and retailers more educated as to what's available year on year.

Harder to predict than you might imagine.  We would love to guess the patterns perfectly very time - not in our interests to get it wrong.   Most of the heads are being forged in Hiroshima and come by boat to our Scotland assembly line - so the forecasts and 'guessing' is done far in advance.  Not something you can quickly adjust when there is a shortage......takes a while to adjust.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
MPX said:
Hi Neil

Customer Service told us that they spoke to you on the phone and all was explained.  Can appreciate the frustration when things aren't immediate - but we do inform all of our retailers straight away if there are any head shortages.  

Forecasting the heads is a very complex job as people are ordering so differently every year.  The long irons / wedges and set mixing is evolving rapidly.  Golfers and retailers more educated as to what's available year on year.

Harder to predict than you might imagine.  We would love to guess the patterns perfectly very time - not in our interests to get it wrong.   Most of the heads are being forged in Hiroshima and come by boat to our Scotland assembly line - so the forecasts and 'guessing' is done far in advance.  Not something you can quickly adjust when there is a shortage......takes a while to adjust.
MPX, any chance of a forecast on when my wife is going to let me swap my MP5s for the MP18??? :)

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Craigmiller Park in Edinburgh
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
...or if Mrs Hursty will approve his attendance at the Northern event?

:shock: 

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
zombie said:
...or if Mrs Hursty will approve his attendance at the Northern event?

:shock: 
Lol, already approved :)

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Craigmiller Park in Edinburgh
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
Woo hoo! 

We need our Hursty to keep us entertained. 

:D 

HCP
Local club/country
Nelson uk
Hi,Unfortunately if you make bold statements and bull up your custom fit service on your website like most custom fit clubs leave our Scottish factory within 5-7 days then you die by them if it takes 4 weeks.Ping and many other manufacturers quote a minimum of 2 weeks and that's probably to give them time for something to go wrong.Ive had custom fit irons from ping in 7 days.Its better to quote 2 weeks minimum but most get them much quicker then quoting 1 week and you may get them in four.As far as customer service is concerned.I phoned them first thing on the morning before I placed the order to say I was going to order the 900 hot metal irons and I asked about if the custom Lamkin grips were rel or rel 3 gen.It would of been a good opportunity to inform me of a possible 4 week lead time.All I got when I rang them a week later after getting the email from my retailer was 7 sept is when the heads are expected.I asked why I hadn't been informed earlier and was told until your order reaches the build line it's then when it's flagged up.Ive had my say now and maybe if I wasn't going on a golfing holiday it would not of been a problem but I am and it is.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
So have you cancelled the order if you're not going to get them in time for the holiday?

Welcome to the forum btw

HCP
Local club/country
Nelson uk
Hi, No because by the time i found out it was probably to late to gaurantee id get a set from any other manufacturer and i need the custom fit.I know i should of ordered them earlier but money's tight especially with the holiday.My gripe is if i knew about the delay at the outset i would of still ordered the irons but wouldn't of sold my set till i came home.You can blame it on the retailer but they offered me a full refund so i don't see what they were gaining by not telling me whereas mizuno stood to possibly lose my order if they stated on the 1st phone call about the delay.A simple,If you are thinking of ordering a custom set of these irons may i warn you of a possible delay from our usual quoted time in manufacture due to head shortages. we are due a shipment in on the 7th september and you would receive them shortly after that.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
Don't know who your retailer is but I ordered a custom fit set of 900 Forged on 17th Dec with American Golf, got told at point of sale that the 4i heads were a shortage (due to 900 Tour buyers getting mixed sets) and that they wouldn't be in until beginning of January.

As soon as the heads came in it took 3 days for them to be built and in my hands.

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
Neil

can

you

please