Mizuno iron length and swingweights

sipzip

Local club/country
austria
Hello everyone

I’m planning on getting a set of custom fit Mizuno JPX 850 forged.
UnfortunatelyI can’t get a custom fitting where I live, so I have to custom fit my clubs to my static fitting data according to various charts.

I have acouple of questions though:

I’ve read different statements regarding Mizuno’s iron length.

My authorized Mizuno dealer says they are in fact 0,25” shorter, and some people say
that Mizuno only measures the club’s length without the grip, so the club
including the grips is exactly as long as other manufacturers.

I need irons 0.25” longer than “normal” standard irons, so my Mizuno dealer told me to
order the clubs at +0.50 length.
Would love to get an official answer on this as I would hate to recieve a club that's too short or too long.
I'm from Europe / Austria if that matters, and my Mizuno dealer is located in Germany.

I have another question regarding swing weight:

I’ve read here that mizuno uses lighter heads if you order overlength clubs to keep the
swingweight. Are thereany disadvantages in using those lighter weight heads? I could imagine it has an impact on feel/sound of the club?

I’ve tested some off the rack JPX 850 forged, and I loved the feel and sound of them so much.
I’d hate to see some of the feel getting lost due to the lightweight heads.
I’m unsure if I should just order the standard heads and live with the increased
swingweight of 3 points?

Hope you guys can help me out on this.

cheers
Michael

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
Hi Michael,

I've just gone back to Mizuno after a 20year break, playing all sorts of irons, titleists, pings, miura, taylormade, Tourstage, ssshhhhh don't tell anyone!  I can certainly help you

My previous set, Titliests were 1/4 inch longer shafts 2 degrees upright. D2 swing weight.  I was custom fitted for MP 25s  (took nearly 2 hours) and opted for half an inch longer 2 degrees upright as I wanted a slightly flatter lie.  Basically all manufacturers have different Standard Lies and club lengths for their different models.  But I can tell you that with an excel spreadsheet comparison my Mizuno are the same as my old Titliests but 1 degree flatter, exactly same shaft length and swing weight.

mizuno definitely have A and b club heads , B being the lighter versions for longer shaft length requests.  The lighter head and longer shaft will still bring you in line with the standard or required swing weight D2 don't worry.  Ask your professional when you order them.

There are several rules of thumb here :

foy every half half an inch of club length extra you add the lie angle will automatically change by 1 degree upright

for every half an inch of club length extra you add the swing weight will increase by two to three points ( this is where the b heads come into things, in the days of yolde you'd have to get the heads ground to reduce swing weight when extending club length) so D2 would become D4/D5

Also if you require thicker grips make sure a mizuno do this for you and be careful when it comes to regrouping them in the future as different grip thicknesses / weight from added tape etc will effect the counter balance point, with lots of tape under a grip you can make a really heavy club swing lighter, all to do with physics ;) 

hope this helps, and if ai have got anything wrong and I need correcting by anyone no problem.

haopy golfing :)

ruley

HCP
Local club/country
Brookwater, Australia
Irons
JPX EZ 3W, JPX EZ 2&4H, 5-6 MP-H5, 7-P MP5, S5 50 54 58. On the bench 2-4 MP-H4, 4-G JPX 825 Pro
Driver
JPX 900, JPX 850 backup
Mild thread hijack....

I'm interested to know at what length the lighter heads comes into the build, would a set that is built .25 long utilise the lighter heads?

thanks.

Top Bottom