Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Hi guys - curious to know if anyone is attending one of the golf pairs events this year.  Looking at these as a long term fixture and hopefully something the forum can be at the heart of.  Or does it not feel authentic to the Forum? Honest feedback appreciated.  Thanks.

Andy Bubba Burgs

HCP
Local club/country
Sitwell Park GC @ http://sitwellgolf.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour & MP69 4-PW KBS Tour S Vokey 50 52, 56, 60, Evnrol ER2
Driver
Titleist TS3 Driver and 3 Wood Diamana S+ Blue 62 Stiff
I love the idea and there are some cracking courses on offer, but it's just too expensive I feel
£230 before the cost of 4 nights stay, food and DRINK . I wouldn't get much change out of £800

I'm sure I will be proven wrong and all the comps will sold out and I'm just a tight Yorkshireman!!

Would make a great competition prize for Mizuno to run
or If you are still looking for bloggers give it away under the condition it's blogged about (would put my name in the hat for that)

Just my food for thought Golfpairs and Mizuno

Bubba

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Andy Bubba Burgs said:
I love the idea and there are some cracking courses on offer, but it's just too expensive I feel
£230 before the cost of 4 nights stay, food and DRINK . I wouldn't get much change out of £800

I'm sure I will be proven wrong and all the comps will sold out and I'm just a tight Yorkshireman!!

Would make a great competition prize for Mizuno to run
or If you are still looking for bloggers give it away under the condition it's blogged about (would put my name in the hat for that)

Just my food for thought Golfpairs and Mizuno

Bubba
+1 to Bubbas comments.

Love the idea of it but too expensive for me.

Im sure I made a suggestion on an earlier thread about this, how about giving a free entry to one of the events for the 2 winners of the Northern & Southern Forum days? If either couldnt make it then the entry passes onto 2nd, 3rd etc.

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Myself and Giz are playing the Welsh event - the more reasonable option. Only problem is, it clashes with the Forum day so it's a bit of a rush to jet up to Formby to defend my title 

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
As the first 2 posts I think it is a fantastic idea to hold these events but.............. personally I cannot afford to spend that sort of money for 3 days golf and then add on your fuel,accomodation,food and drink.Bubba isn't far off when he says £800.Plus I have no holidays free to attend anyway but the Celtic Manor 1 day event wasn't a bad price to be fair.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
I've booked for the Wales event with a non forum pal. Yes, it is a bit pricey, but as I'm coming from the South, I've got to stay somewhere (Harlech), and it's at 3 courses I've not played before. Looking forward to it.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Thanks for the feedback.

We're in discussions on prizes for the Forum run days.  We'll see what's possible.

The Celtic Manor 1 day event was booked pretty quickly, so I think the guys are aware that there's a place in the schedule for a few more one day events.

MPX

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
Yes, too expensive. All of the course are good courses but the prices quoted for each event seem to price each course at its maximum.

As I've said on the other thread, as an example the East Anglian event is £225 for 3 courses. The Sheringham, Cromer and Hunstanton Pro-ams including meal and breakfast are £50 each, would be £150 total. With my county card I've played all three courses this year for around £60 total. It just doesn't add up. Factor in travel and accommodation and you are competing with going abroad for events.

A final thought on 'goodie bags' which are advertised on these. As someone who has been to quite a few Mizzy events, I don't come along for them, the main thing is the company. There are only so many hats I can wear and I actually feel a bit awkward about getting something as a gift that I'll probably end up giving away. Obviously I'm very grateful for all of the support shown by Mizuno: it's nice for newcomers and balls are always handy (especially on a course with water :lol: )

Cheers and looking forward to the first event :D

Bananas

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I also believe the Golf Pairs is a great idea but personally couldn't afford to play in them - At a stretch I might be able to do one of the single day events, like the Celtic Manor one (which I actually tried to find a partner for) - Even that would entail at least one night's accommodation - In the end, I play enough golf without getting more grief from 'er indoors about yet another golf trip!
Paul

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Considered the Scottish leg, but cost was prohibitive as per early posts.

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
MP18 SC's along with MP S-18 wedges 52 & 58.
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 driver and 3 wood.
BigPete said:
Myself and Giz are playing the Welsh event - the more reasonable option. Only problem is, it clashes with the Forum day so it's a bit of a rush to jet up to Formby to defend my title 
Did you all hear the CLANG! as Pete dropped his victory into that post there? :D

As he also mentioned, we're teaming up to enter the cheapest of the events (and it's the cheapest by a heck of a margin!). I can't see me doing another though based on the prices I'm seeing for other events. It was also difficult to get permission to be off work and away from the family for 4 days too! 

I think it's a magnificent idea to do as a one off, but going forward I think it might be better to do over two venues/days rather than 3 as the amount of organising that is required by players and the event management is rather high.

Wotsit

HCP
Local club/country
Dummer GC
Irons
MP 54 5 - PW (NS Pro 950)
Driver
Mizuno JPX 900
PaulBoy said:
I also believe the Golf Pairs is a great idea but personally couldn't afford to play in them - At a stretch I might be able to do one of the single day events, like the Celtic Manor one (which I actually tried to find a partner for) - Even that would entail at least one night's accommodation - In the end, I play enough golf without getting more grief from 'er indoors about yet another golf trip!
Paul
I would have paired up with you for the Celtic Manor day as I was looking for someone!

golfpairs

Local club/country
Mizuno Golf Pairs Tour
All very good feedback guys thank you

We are going to consider a slightly different format in 2017 (which we will ensure doesn't clash with forum events!) and hopefully be able to work with the clubs to reduce prices.

Unfortunately the premium golf clubs we have talked to don't do anywhere near county card rate to us, and they certainly won't let us anywhere near their own open day rates.  So when we add our (small) costs they come up as more.  However that being said they are still a bargain, and we would encourage you to remember that we aren't just talking about green fees, these are competitions with some great prizes to be won, hole in one comp, a massive experience of the finals day at Bearwood Lakes to be won, and don't forget the goody bag (you can always ebay the mizuno caps if you have too many :)).

At least it's recognised that Celtic Manor is a bargain, this event is FULL now (200 golfers) so I'm sure others have agreed.

West Wales is also full (120 golfers), Scotland is very nearly full (2 pairs remaining, 116 golfers booked in) and East Anglia in September is over half full as it stands, so people are seeing the benefits somewhere.

Anyway, please keep the feedback coming - it's really valuable and we are hoping will result in some amendments in 2017 which will make it more accessible to you all.

Ross

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
Thanks for the comments Ross, it's helpful to see from the other side. I don't know how much Mizuno would be able to do in terms of subsidy as it would seem that fully sponsoring the events would be the only way to get top quality courses that are vaguely affordable, if they won't offer discounts (most will for events of the size mentioned) That said, from a purely selfish point of view, I would rather they stuck with the main forum days :).

I don't know how Mizuno Group see sponsorship of this kind of thing. From my humble view it would seem that even if you could knock £150 per golfer off a green fee for, say 3 days, if would be a good promotional tool. 23k per event assuming 150 golfers would be small change from the group's money for the publicity but I guess there are many competing pots.

It all depends on whether Mizuno Group see this as worth pursuing fully or not.

I'd rather they spent 23k on the Northern Forum Day prize of Masters tickets and pre tournament round for 4, all inclusive stay at a 6 star hotel in Georgia for 3 weeks and a club fitting with Stacy Lewis, mind ;)

Lord Brocket

Local club/country
Brocket Hall
Bonobobananas said:
Thanks for the comments Ross, it's helpful to see from the other side. I don't know how much Mizuno would be able to do in terms of subsidy as it would seem that fully sponsoring the events would be the only way to get top quality courses that are vaguely affordable, if they won't offer discounts (most will for events of the size mentioned) That said, from a purely selfish point of view, I would rather they stuck with the main forum days :).

I don't know how Mizuno Group see sponsorship of this kind of thing. From my humble view it would seem that even if you could knock £150 per golfer off a green fee for, say 3 days, if would be a good promotional tool. 23k per event assuming 150 golfers would be small change from the group's money for the publicity but I guess there are many competing pots.

It all depends on whether Mizuno Group see this as worth pursuing fully or not.

I'd rather they spent 23k on the Northern Forum Day prize of Masters tickets and pre tournament round for 4, all inclusive stay at a 6 star hotel in Georgia for 3 weeks and a club fitting with Stacy Lewis, mind ;)
Stacy Lewis? What about Mizuno's own Amy Boulden? Phwoaaar.

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
JPX 900 Forged 5-PW, JPX FliHi 4, T7 50, 54, 58 wedges. Odyssey Tank putter
Driver
GT180 driver & 3 wood, JPX 900 3 Hybrid
Ross, in marketing terms what does Mizuno aim to get out of its partnership with GPT? The competition is open to Mizuno and (cough) non-Mizuno players alike, so it is non-exclusive and with a statistically high chance that eventual winners will be playing a competitor’s clubs. The enthusiasm that unites GPT participants is playing golf rather than playing Mizuno. So is the main objective to raise brand profile among a wider audience as the GPT series gets better known, to position Mizuno as committed to the amateur game in the UK, to encourage several hundred keen golfers to try out Mizuno clubs possibly for the first time and maybe convert a few to sales, or what?

Given Mizuno’s tie-in, I can see the benefit of having a healthy proportion of Mizuno players at these events to fly the flag, and forum members are an obvious pool (of prodigious talent) to draw from, but there doesn't appear to be that much of a particular inducement to sign up unless GPT was a format that members were already interested in attending. Add the other factors of time, Forum Day commitments, cheaper deals at the courses, and cost of travel and accommodation, and these events have a lot to compete with, goodies and prizes notwithstanding.

If you are looking for people here to attend, the idea of a couple of places as prizes for Forum Day winners sounds a good one (at least you’d be likely to get someone representing Mizuno who is in with half a chance of doing well!). A healthy discount on the entry price might work as well. As an extension to that, what about inviting along (entry and costs paid) a couple of volunteer forum members who when not competing would act as brand ambassadors alongside your team, eg be on hand to answer questions about their experience of Mizuno, talk through the benefits of fitting, etc? Just a thought.

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Egersund Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
St200 driver, MP650 3 wood, JPX 800, hybrid,
RobCH said:
Ross, in marketing terms what does Mizuno aim to get out of its partnership with GPT? The competition is open to Mizuno and (cough) non-Mizuno players alike, so it is non-exclusive and with a statistically high chance that eventual winners will be playing a competitor’s clubs. The enthusiasm that unites GPT participants is playing golf rather than playing Mizuno. So is the main objective to raise brand profile among a wider audience as the GPT series gets better known, to position Mizuno as committed to the amateur game in the UK, to encourage several hundred keen golfers to try out Mizuno clubs possibly for the first time and maybe convert a few to sales, or what?

Given Mizuno’s tie-in, I can see the benefit of having a healthy proportion of Mizuno players at these events to fly the flag, and forum members are an obvious pool (of prodigious talent) to draw from, but there doesn't appear to be that much of a particular inducement to sign up unless GPT was a format that members were already interested in attending. Add the other factors of time, Forum Day commitments, cheaper deals at the courses, and cost of travel and accommodation, and these events have a lot to compete with, goodies and prizes notwithstanding.

If you are looking for people here to attend, the idea of a couple of places as prizes for Forum Day winners sounds a good one (at least you’d be likely to get someone representing Mizuno who is in with half a chance of doing well!). A healthy discount on the entry price might work as well. As an extension to that, what about inviting along (entry and costs paid) a couple of volunteer forum members who when not competing would act as brand ambassadors alongside your team, eg be on hand to answer questions about their experience of Mizuno, talk through the benefits of fitting, etc? Just a thought.
  A lot of very interesting points there, well written and agree with whats been said, 

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
BigPete said:
Have you got your tee times yet? We're off at 12.48 in the first event. Where are you staying?

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
OhBoy! said:
BigPete said:
Have you got your tee times yet? We're off at 12.48 in the first event. Where are you staying?
Yeah we're a bit earlier - staying in the travelodge in Porthmadoc - me and Giz are team "Wooden Spoon Contenders"

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
We're based in Harlech. I will PM my mobile.

Top Bottom