HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Attended the Mizuno Performance Centre at Gleneagles on Saturday to have a fitting for a new set of irons, 

My DNA numbers were 71,6,5,2,7 shaft recommendations were XP105 R flex, Nippon Modus 105 R flex
& KBS Tour C-Taper Lite R flex,

As a comparison the last DNA fitting I had done in Sep., 2012 my numbers were 77,7,4,4,5 with +2 deg lie and +1/2" in the shaft length recommended shaft was Project X 5.5, but to be honest I never really got on well with that shaft and after a further fitting I changed to the shaft I play now the XP 105 R flex, and Having one of the suggest shafts fitted in my JPX 850's gave me a bench mark to compare the performance of the other two shafts against, 

After discussions with the fitter and based on the DNA numbers Trackman data and his visual observations during the fitting I went with the JPX 900 Hot Metal range of irons fitted with KBS C-Taper Lite R flex shafts std length & Lie they gave me the best all round performance with a consistent 6 iron carry distance of 156-158 yards that's a gain of 6-8 yards of carry over the JPX 850 irons I play now,

After my fitting was concluded I got the chance to have a look round the Mizuno Tour truck and have a chat with the guys a great way to round off the day,

All in all an excellent and positive experience big thank you to Mizuno's Roland Fleming & Matt McIsaac who did my custom iron fitting and the guys on the tour truck,

Cheers John :D 

Attachments

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Sounds like a great experience John. Roland certainly knows his stuff and made me fell happy with my last fitting. Great to see inside the tour truck. Hope the new clubs give you that little bit extra next season ;)

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
DCB said:
Sounds like a great experience John. Roland certainly knows his stuff and made me fell happy with my last fitting. Great to see inside the tour truck. Hope the new clubs give you that little bit extra next season ;)
Hi David,

Yes it was, the guys took their time and put a lot of effort in to making sure I was happy with everything that was happening through the whole process never once putting any pressure on me to go one way or the other, I came away feeling I had had a proper custom fitting and unlike anything I've previously experienced and with a set of iron specifications that were suited to me,

The thing is we were only supposed to be at Gleneagles for a day out with my wife Netta and my daughter Gayle as they  had never been there before so Greg and I took them up for the day, imagine my surprise when we arrived to find that Mizuno was there with the Tour Truck what a lucky coincidence...! well you just cant pass up an opportunity like that came you so I asked nicely if they could fit me in for a fitting and they very kindly obliged,

We did however have a very nice lunch in the club house over looking the golf course and latter on some drinks up in the main hotel so it wasn't all a wasted day ;)

Cheers John :D 

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Sounds like a great experience John.

Fancy that though...  Just popping along to Gleneagles with the Mrs and bumping into the tour truck..... and finding time for a fitting.  What a stroke of luck :)

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Craigmiller Park in Edinburgh
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
Lucky boy! Unless you picked up the bar tab... 

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
Celtic_Bil said:
Sounds like a great experience John.

Fancy that though...  Just popping along to Gleneagles with the Mrs and bumping into the tour truck..... and finding time for a fitting.  What a stroke of luck :)
That's exactly what I said when we got there "Fancy that who would believe it" even the Mrs was astonished at the  coincidence and that I should have such a stroke of luck...! ;) 

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
zombie said:
Lucky boy! Unless you picked up the bar tab... 

I considered it a small price to pay Jonathan, just as long as the family were happy and enjoyed their day out...! 

John :D 

HCP
Local club/country
Loudoun Gowf Club / Scotland
Irons
Mizuno JPX 800 (6-PW), JPX 50 wedge, JPX 850 3 & 4 Hybrid and 5W, Ping G30 5 hybrid, Taylormade M2 7W, Nike 3W
I'll keep a lookout for the next fitting day. Definitely worth the visit to Gleneagles 

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
Gregmiller2207 said:
I'll keep a lookout for the next fitting day. Definitely worth the visit to Gleneagles 
Hi Greg,

Iv'e already got it covered the next fitting day is at American Golf in Irvine next Wednesday the 11th October I phoned today and booked a slot with Roland at 3.pm, I'm going to try out the new CLK hybrids and also have a hit with the new MP-18 range of irons as I didn't get the chance to try them at Gleneagles,

Cheers

John

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
seanmor said:
Gregmiller2207 said:
Hi Greg,

Iv'e already got it covered the next fitting day is at American Golf in Irvine next Wednesday the 11th October I phoned today and booked a slot with Roland at 3.pm, I'm going to try out the new CLK hybrids and also have a hit with the new MP-18 range of irons as I didn't get the chance to try them at Gleneagles,

Cheers

John
With a nice shiny new set of irons, I’m pretty sure you can finish next years forum day higher than this years John ;)

PS good to see Greg has doubled his post count in the space of a few minutes :)

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
MP18 SC's along with MP S-18 wedges 52 & 58.
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 driver and 3 wood.
Has anyone ever done a vlog about a complete club fitting session with Mizuno? I think it'd be a good marketing tool for them, plus I'd like to see how the "Performance Centre" places like Birkdale and Celtic Manor differ from "Fitting Centres".

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
dave_giz said:
Has anyone ever done a vlog about a complete club fitting session with Mizuno? I think it'd be a good marketing tool for them, plus I'd like to see how the "Performance Centre" places like Birkdale and Celtic Manor differ from "Fitting Centres".
I got my last set of irons from The Celtic Manor.  I have lessons there and at the time the guy I saw for lessons did my fitting, which worked well as he knew my swing.  He's since left and to be honest I think I'd rather see Simon at a fitting day (the south west Mizuno rep).  He works with the Mizuno kit all the time and I think I'd value his opinion more.

I don't know about the other Performance Centres but at CM they are also a national centre for Titleist and fit for Taylor Made and Callaway.  I wonder too what defines a Performance Centre (I guess I could look on the Mizuno website!).  I'll ask when up there tomorrow.  Perhaps it's a combination of range of fitting stock and level of training?

The guys there are good, they have Trackman and decent range balls.....and you can see the actual flight onto the range.  Overall you couldn't ask for much more (your 'normal' ball for the fitting perhaps?). 

I've seen Simon at a couple of demo/fitting days and have always been very impressed.  Testament to Mizuno and their recruitment policy perhaps. 

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
dave_giz said:
Dave, I got a fitting done at Royal Birkdale when I was reviewing the 850 Driver:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24434&hilit=hursty&start=160

Its page 17 of it just in case that link takes you to the start of the thread!!!!

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
hursty said:
dave_giz said:
Dave, I got a fitting done at Royal Birkdale when I was reviewing the 850 Driver:

http://www.mizunoforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=160

Its page 17 of it just in case that link takes you to the start of the thread!!!!
£25 is good at Birkdale. Celtic is £50 for the fitting with £25 off any purchase. 

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
seanmor said:
Gregmiller2207 said:
Hi Greg,

Cheers

John
Got a call from AG on the morning of the Mizuno Demo day to say that it
had been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions,
They said they could book me a spot in the next Mizuno Demo day if I
wanted to wait or I could come along today and have a full custom fit
done by them using the same equipment and to the same standard as
Mizuno, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to see what
differences if any there were between the two custom fittings,

I didn't say at the outset that I had already done a custom fit at
Gleneagles with Mizuno prior to being there today as I didn't want
them asking me what results I had already got in case this would
influence them in anyway, I said I was looking to get fitted for a
set of irons 5-PW but wasn't sure at that point what I should be
going for and would like to try all the range of irons that were
available from Mizuno,

I had a 15 min warm up hitting balls then we did the 3 swings with
the DNA 6 iron my numbers came out at 70.6.4.3.6 he then did my wrist
to floor measurement and checked my hand grip size,
the three suggested shafts were as before the XP 105, Nippon Modus 105 &
the KBS Tour C-Taper lite all in R flex, his opinion at this point
was that the JPX 900 forged or Hot Metal would probably be my best
two option's based on his observations and available data and we
should use them as a starting point and determine what shaft I liked
the feel and performance of the best, in the end the KBS Tour
C-Taper lite R flex shaft came out the winner as it again gave the
best feel and consistency of all the shafts I got to try,

I did however get try all the different Mizuno iron heads today the MP-18, MC, MMC
the JPX 900 Tour and the JPX 900 forged, and although I hit some
really nice shots with them all I also hit a number of poor shots
that went nowhere I just need more forgiveness than they can offer me
so in the end I settled on the JPX 900 Hot Metal fitted with the KBS
Tour C-Taper lite R flex shafts STD lie & length, they gave me by
far the best all round performance of all the irons I tried today,

One area that I did see a difference between the fitting at
Gleneagles and the one I did today at AG was in the performance of
the range golf balls, at the fitting at Gleneagles I was consistently
hitting the JPX 900 HM 6 iron 156/158 yards carry but today at AG I
could only get between 140/145 yards carry, I did mention this to the
fitter at the time and he said it could be down to the type of range balls they use,

As for the comparison between the two custom fittings I would say the
honers are even both gave a great service and did an excellent job
and all totally free of charge,

Order placed and awaiting delivery over to you Mizuno...!

Cheers

John :D 

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Good to hear John and hope the new clubs serve you well.

Whilst at the range last night playing around with Skytrak and wondering about the distance loss on the range balls, we thought about making a net to hang from the end of the bay so we could hit 'real balls' into it to get more accurate data.  I'm surprised they don't do this on driving range fittings (at places like AG) to give the customer a better idea of distance.  If you're doing a fair number of fittings, it shouldn't be too much trouble and would be very beneficial.

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
Celtic_Bil said:
Good to hear John and hope the new clubs serve you well.

Whilst at the range last night playing around with Skytrak and wondering about the distance loss on the range balls, we thought about making a net to hang from the end of the bay so we could hit 'real balls' into it to get more accurate data.  I'm surprised they don't do this on driving range fittings (at places like AG) to give the customer a better idea of distance.  If you're doing a fair number of fittings, it shouldn't be too much trouble and would be very beneficial.
Hi Wayne,

That's not a bad idea you would then get a more accurate measurement of the actual distance and club performance to help you make a more informed decision,

One of the weird things was that they were offering golf ball fittings on the day which when I think about it now confuses me a wee bit, if you are getting a fitting for a golf ball would you not need to hit real Premium golf balls and not range balls or it would be a pointless exercise...?

So using the same logic if you are getting a fitting for irons should you not be hitting real Premium golf balls...! or am I missing something..? 

Cheers

John

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
I'm pretty sure in a ball fitting you would have to hit the actual balls John so you can see how they perform.

For club fitting, I still think you need to see how the ball flies down the actual range, but even just 3 or 4 of the balls you actually play, hit into a net, would be a great help.  I think there are some ranges/fitting centres that do indoor and outdoor to be honest.

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
seanmor wrote:

“I had a 15 min worm up “

—————————

Haha :lol:

I hope the missus wasn’t disappointed :)

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Bonobobananas said:
seanmor wrote:

“I had a 15 min worm up “

—————————

Haha :lol:

I hope the missus wasn’t disappointed :)
Lol, just spat out my beer.

Now get back to making films with your missus Jayson.........

Top Bottom