Mizuno Bettinardi Black Carbon - The Finish

HCP
Local club/country
Ulverston Golf Club
Irons
Mizuno MP57 X100 +1"
Driver
Mizuno MP600 8.5° Fujikura Fit On
I have had the Black Carbon for around 6 months and it's an excellent putter; unfussy looks at address with a brilliant black finish. This is where my problems lies.

The black finish is what led me to the purchase, I love deep black clubs as well as everything else! Currently I have a deep black watch and phone, I can't help myself! The finish on the club is beginning to wear and rub off. I have no idea what could be causing it apart from the obvious, playing and cleaning. The cavity of the club is fine but the face and the sole of the club are starting to show the bare metal underneath. I'll attach some pictures so you can see what I mean.

I would like to know if this is normal, does the finish on these putters usually wear off? Would it be a good idea to send it off for refinishing?

And before I go, what is the best way to clean the grip? With the putter grip mingling with the iron and wood grips in the bag it has coloured the bright yellow of the Winn grip with a dirty black. I was thinking about using window cleaner but I doubt that will remove the black.

The face of the club - http://www.majhost.com/gallery/ao/Lefto ... finish.jpg

The cavity, still in good condition - http://www.majhost.com/gallery/ao/Lefto ... finish.jpg

Grilled Cheese

HCP
Local club/country
Mizuno Golf Club/USA
Irons
Split Set - MP H5 (3 - 5), MP-64 (6 - PW), MP T5 (51, 58)
Driver
Mizuno MP-630 10.5 with Fujikura F3 70 Stiff
It is typical for the finish to wear down a bit from turf interaction, but nothing too drastic. Are you using anything other than water to clean your head?

HCP
Local club/country
Ulverston Golf Club
Irons
Mizuno MP57 X100 +1"
Driver
Sorry for the delayed reply.
I just use water, sometimes with some washing-up liquid in if I'm cleaning the rest of the clubs. But usually I'll just give the face and sole of the club a wipe down with a damp cloth; to make sure there's no mud or sand on the club. If the washing-up liquid is the culprit - I just use a product that is in an 'eco' range without harmful chemicals, I can't remember exactly what it's called.

If it's of any help I can attempt to take photos that better display the wear on the face of the club?

I have today just been comparing my putter to some other similarly worn heads through the internet. They seem to be a lot blacker than mine, although I think that through a camera the flash exaggerates the colour of the metal.

Attachments

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Any chance you could send us a picture of the sole? Sometimes excessive colour change to metal can be caused by strong chemicals used on the course. Often the reason why a club that's been ok for the majority can change a lot for one person.

HCP
Local club/country
Ulverston Golf Club
Irons
Mizuno MP57 X100 +1"
Driver
I've taken some photos, I'll add them later because currently I don't want to mess around with the awkward measures it takes to transfer photos!

Based on the photos you've already seen would you say that there is something wrong with the colour? Have you seen this happen before? And what is the likelihood that this could be remedied?

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
If you can bear with me a couple of days - i'm going to check with the people at Bettinardi as well.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
I asked the Bettinardi people to take a look as well. They've confirmed that it isn't normal wear - it's turned much quicker than normal. There's quite a few of us that use this finish and it's still pretty deep after a solid year. They are a lot harder wearing than the old Black Oxide type putters.

The way yours has thinned out quite evenly (no cracks, flakes) suggests that there's a chemical at work somewhere. Either fertilizer, or something in one of the cleaners - you can see that it's even fading in the neck area.

Bettinardi themselves can re-finish putters in the US - but it would be a little costly to send it over from the UK. You might possibly find a UK re-finisher, although that kind of facility is extremely rare nowdays. If we find anyone that offers this service, we'll post it here.

HCP
Local club/country
Ulverston Golf Club
Irons
Mizuno MP57 X100 +1"
Driver
Thanks for the quick reply, it's unfortunate that the putter has worn so quickly and that it has got to a point where it has to be re-finished. What's probably more unfortunate is the fact that it seems like it will be quite difficult to get the putter re-finished quickly or easily in this country.

I'll see what I can do, it might end up that I will have to leave it in its sorry state. I have also uploaded the new photos of the sole.

Attachments

HCP
Local club/country
Ulverston Golf Club
Irons
Mizuno MP57 X100 +1"
Driver
Sorry to double post but I have had a small advancement in my search for a re-finish.

American Golf, according to their website, offers a repair service. Apparently "Full sets can be refurbished including, polished, repainting and rebadging." Before contacting them personally I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this service, or if anyone knows whether it would be worth checking to see if they could re-finish my putter.

I may also check with my local pro; he wants to check the lie angles and specifications of my irons. He might know somewhere that can get it 'fixed up'.

ajb72

HCP
Local club/country
The Leicestershire
Irons
MP57 - Nippon 950 shafts 0.5" longer, 2 degrees upright. Titleist Vokey wedges 52, 56 and 60 degree. Yes Diana Putter
Driver
MX700 10.5 degree NVS reg shaft
Sorry to hear about yor putter woes - my 'Yes' Diana putter is starting to go a similar way, although less drastically at this stage!

Let us know if you eventually get something sorted, good luck!

Top Bottom