Mixing JPX and MP-18 Fli Hi

chrism_s

HCP
Local club/country
Brookmans Park GC, Herts
Irons
MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3 & 4 | JPX 919 Tour 5-PW | S18 49/06 54/12 58/08 | KBS Tour X Stiff
Driver
TaylorMade M1 (2016) - Fujikura Pro 71 XLR8 Tour X
Has anybody put together a set of JPX 900 Tour or Forged with the new MP-18 MMC Fli Hi?

I'm wondering if there is any significant drop between a 3 fli hi and 4 jpx  or similarly 4 fli hi to JPX 5 iron. The lofts don't quite line up with either set, which doesn't have to be an issue as they have different ball flights, but keen to see how they blend.

I really like my H4 3 iron and am thinking of some new bats in the new year, so quite keen on a Fli Hi 3 & 4 and then JPX 900 5-PW (whatever head i get fit into, last time I was fitted it was the tour)

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
I think this will be a difficult one to answer for anyone who doesn’t have exactly that spec. As always the answer would be to go try them out. As you’ve already said I wouldn’t be too concerned about matching the lofts exactly as the launch characteristics will be different. Certainly sounds very doable.

if it helps any I have 6-pw Mp18 mb then 4-5 in jpx900forged. I haven’t noticed a big gap in the middle when doing launch monitor testing so have left the lofts alone for now.

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Craigmiller Park in Edinburgh
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
I like your thinking Chris.  Are you any further forward or managed to try anything out yet?

I'm also looking at combo set but thinking of the more forgiving combo than you.  I love my current irons but the 7 to PW are a bit too chunky for my liking but I'm getting on great with my 3i H4.

Of course I'll try the clubs out but where is the best place to buy combo sets?  Most websites show full sets only... 

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Any stockist should be able to order a mixed set as a custom order Z.  Snainton with discount would be a good start mate.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
zombie said:
I like your thinking Chris.  Are you any further forward or managed to try anything out yet?

I'm also looking at combo set but thinking of the more forgiving combo than you.  I love my current irons but the 7 to PW are a bit too chunky for my liking but I'm getting on great with my 3i H4.

Of course I'll try the clubs out but where is the best place to buy combo sets?  Most websites show full sets only... 
Z ... If you don't like "chunky" have a look at the JPX900's - I have the Forged & the short irons are a nice compact size, but easy to hit / forgiving & long (thanks to the much discussed lower lofts)
Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I think the MP hybrid irons are pretty much the same as the JPX long irons. They're just an easier sell for the MP players.

Of course they might be slightly easier than the JPX Tours. If anything, I'd look to combo the JPXs with the Hot Metals rather than Fli-His.

My personal experience is limited only to a few rounds in bad conditions (and with an even worse swing) with the 2014 EZ Forged on the course and hitting the different JPX demo heads with TrackMan and I'd bet the Hot Metal 4 iron is longer than my H5 3 iron. Higher launch, lower spin.

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Craigmiller Park in Edinburgh
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
Thanks chaps. 

Top Bottom