Mid-handicapper and MP-52

HCP
Local club/country
Finland
Irons
Mizuno MP-52 4-PW +1½ 2up
Hi all!

My handicap is 32, and I'm planning to replace my first irons(cheap Wilson's) with something better, with irons I could play many years. I was in a fitting, and the fitter really pushed me for MP-52. The feeling from a hit was really lovely, awesome etc... Fitter also said that I have a good swing, and that I would not have any problems with these forged clubs.

But the question: did the fitter speak true, does these clubs suit for a person with handicap 32? If I have understood right, forged irons are harder to hit due the smaller sweet spot.

Thanks,

Lauri

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Whilst it is hard to comment on someones potential without seeing how they swing the club, my thoughts would be that the MP52s are probably going to be a bit to hot to handle effectively.

Why not have a look at the MX200s, MX100s or the 950s if you are set on a set of Mizunos.

Dave

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 / Mizuno MX-300 / MP T-10 Black Satin 64-07
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 / Putter / Mizuno Bettinardi BC6 & BC7
The MX-200 sounds like a better choice then the MP-52's at least with the longer irons..

Smokey

HCP
Local club/country
No fixed abode/SE London
Irons
MX-950
Driver
Ping G5
As others have said its difficult to comment directly having not seen you hit a ball but this seaon I have tried 7 different sets of irons (either owned or at the range). The MP-52's were the standout club.

I play off 19 and hit the ball fairly consistently and found them to offer the perfect balance of distance and forgiveness and feel. Others will feel differently but if you hit it well with them and they feel good and you hit consistent shots I would go for them and should see you all the way down to single figures.

Good luck

HCP
Local club/country
Finland
Irons
Ok, thanks for the guidance. I decided to go for MX-200, but the final decicion was made by Mizuno by the lack of MX-200 heads in stock. So, finally I ended up to get MP-52. I'll post here some first impressions after I've recieved my dream/nightmare clubs :).

Lauri

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Lothlean said:
Ok, thanks for the guidance. I decided to go for MX-200, but the final decicion was made by Mizuno by the lack of MX-200 heads in stock. So, finally I ended up to get MP-52. I'll post here some first impressions after I've recieved my dream/nightmare clubs :).

Lauri
You did the right thing! Play well!!

HCP
Local club/country
Finland
Irons
Ok, some of the first impressions of these clubs.

After some 20 balls in range I took the clubs for a round in my hometown's golf course. First nine holes were perhaps the most horrible holes I've ever played: only bad hits, draws and such things that make you regret buying the clubs. But I kept in mind that shafts were +1½ longer and lie angle 2 degrees up, plus I changed my starting position and grip at the same tame. So, maybe the nine first holes were actually just as predictable as they could be. Slowly I adapted into these clubs, and the last 9 holes went much better: a couple of par's and a birdie :).

Now I've practiced in range a couple of times with MP-52s. I hit the ball a bit longer than with the old irons. When bad hits occur, I really feel it in my hands, but nevertheless the ball goes forward as with the old clubs.

I'm planning to have a lesson from a pro to fix my starting position
and swing, but even now I can say these clubs are a good choice even for hcp 32 player, if you're not afraid of that "bang"-feeling in your hands after a bad hit. I really like the look of 52s, they do look like golf clubs unlike some game improvement irons. And as a musician I love the videos in Mizuno website, those who have seen them know what I'm talking about :).

Crichton1973

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
Tulliallan GC, Scotland
Irons
Taylormade RAC CB, KBS Tour stiff 3-PW.
Driver
Titleist 909D2, 10.5 deg Diamana Blue Board 73 Stiff.
Definitely a good choice the MP52's. One and a half inch longer and 2 degrees upright! Out of interest what height are you?

RMM

HCP
Local club/country
Golf St. Apollinaire (France)
Irons
MP-68 DG-S300 3, Black Nickel 4 - PW / MP-T11 Black Nickel 50/52/54/56/58/60/64 / Bobby Grace Putter / Back-up irons: MP-60 2-P, MP-67 2-P
Driver
TSi2 10 Tensei blue/ 910F 15 Kai'li / 910F 19 Kai'li
You will neeed some time and patience, but you will find out that playing MPs is quite rewarding. I made similar experiences as you with MP60s.

HCP
Local club/country
Finland
Irons
192 cm, which makes... 6 ft 3,5 inch. And right now, after checking for few pga players' information, I hardly find anyone who would have that long shafts. Ernie Els seems to be about my height, and he has got half inch longer shafts, with 1 degree up.

So why did the salesman sell me that long shafts and that much of up lie angle? :/

Crichton1973

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
Tulliallan GC, Scotland
Irons
Taylormade RAC CB, KBS Tour stiff 3-PW.
Driver
Titleist 909D2, 10.5 deg Diamana Blue Board 73 Stiff.
Were you fitted for these clubs and did they take static measurements and also use an impact board to check club head during impact? If so then it sounds like you might have some posture/set up issues i.e. standing too tall and close to the ball? Perhaps the Mizuno Staffers/Fitters could comment on this?

Lord of the Divots

HCP
Local club/country
Kedleston Park GC, England
Irons
Mizuno MX 200, nippon ns pro 1150GH tour reg., 1* up, std. length
Driver
Titleist 909 D2 10.5, Diamana BB reg.
Its probably just down to the way you set up..you maybe set up more upright and since you are tall this is slightly accentuated (in the need for longer shafts)
I'm about 172cm (5ft 8?) and i have std. length with 1* upright when many with my height would have shorter shafts and flatter lies.

(Muuten, ma oon myos suomesta Lauri :))

HCP
Local club/country
Finland
Irons
Yes, I was fitted in a golf store. The fitter checked my height, and wrist height too. I do have a bit longer legs than usual people, so my wrist height was somewhat the longest the fitter had seen. After that I hit balls from a hard plate, with tapes in the club head to indicate whether the tip would hit first or the head would come in correct position to the impact. The procedure did convince me.

Watching from a mirror, my position is way more upright than it was with normal shafts, but I wouldn't call it over-upright. At least I don't have to stand entirely on my heels anymore.

So, I'll head for a pro lesson. Last time he said "get longer clubs", hopefully he won't say this time "you might want to shorten those..." .

(Jes, en siis ole yksin maailmalla :) )

lofty

HCP
Local club/country
East Lothian
Irons
MP Fli-Hi 2 MX300 3-pw MP-T10 50/06,56/10 DGr300 1" long 4deg upright ,
Driver
Callaway Razr Hawk 10.5deg Aldila Rip reg Mizuno F-60 FS3 15deg stiff
I am 192cm tall and i have +1" and 2dg up, i also set up quite upright. a lot depends on your proportions i.e. long legs short body or vice versa and wrist to floor measurement

Top Bottom