Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Luke Donald joins Mizuno team mates Brian Gay and Jeff Overton at Turnberry for this year's Open. This year Luke's missing the Scottish Open to get in some links preparation. Think this is a good move or would he be better withsome competitive golf under his belt?

Read Luke's diary on http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/tour/luke_donald_s_diary.php?article=2009_07_08

Minner

HCP
Local club/country
Cornwall
Irons
Titliest AP2s S300 4-PW, Vokey 52, 56 & 60, Talormade R7 3W, 22 Degree rescue
Driver
Mizuno MX-700 10.5 Fujikura stiff
I guess you have to believe that Luke, and his advisers, know what's in his best interest with regard preparations for the Open.

But I must admit I would've liked to see him compete, and be competitive, at the Scottish Open.

I know links is a little different, but it still comes down to hitting fairways, hitting greens, and making putts......with the pressure of a card to keep, not on the practice ground.

But I'm sure he knows far better than me. I certainly hope so for his sake!

Wedgenut

HCP
Scr
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-63BNI 4-PW Monaco X T-11BNI 50/54/58 Spinner W
Driver
MP-630 10.5 Project X 6B7 JPX800 15 RIP Beta 70S
Minner that's a fair point.

We'd all like to see Luke competing for the Scottish Open. However I'd prefer to see him in the mix on Sunday afternoon at The Open.
He does need to improve his preperations for Links golf. He'll have so many shots at Turnberry that he'd never need to hit at any point during the rest of the season.

Tiger has been in Ireland playing Links Golf since Sunday in prep for The Open and Padraig Harrington said this earlier in the week,

"I'm looking forward to defending the Ladbrokes.com Irish PGA Championship," said Harrington.

"I believe that playing the event on the excellent links course of The European Club is great preparation ahead of defending The Open at Turnberry the following week".

If their results are anything to go by Luke has made a wise decision.

Now if only the Scottish Open was at a Links...

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
Luke has probably realised that his prep in previous years didn't do the trick, so is now doing what Tom Watson and Payne Stewart used to do, and what Tiger and others do now. I hope he has a good showing at Turnberry.

neil

HCP
Local club/country
usa
Irons
mizuno MP33 3-pW
Driver
Taylor made burner 9.5
Much as I would like to see Luke win the Open, I think his time would be better spent trying to win something.........anything! I think he needs WINS (any WIN) more than chasing the grandaddy of them all - the Open. So with that being said, I would advise him to prepare for and play in the Scottish Open at Loch Lomond and other PGA/Euro tour events that suit his game and therefore give him a greater chance of winning. I think winners get used to winning and expect to win. Winning would ultimately prepare him for winning on the biggest stage - more than practicing particular links shots etc. Ultimately this game is all in the head, and there is nothing like winning for fixing the head.

for example - look at Harrington winning the third tier event called the Irish PGA - he won it twice and went on to win the Open immediately after both times.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
I'm with Neil on this one! Luke needs to get into a winning mentality, and with the best will in the world that's NOT going to be the British Open.

I very much admire Luke's swing and get as frustrated as the next guy when such a beautiful swing doesn't produce better results, but let's keep it real - Luke should concentrate on the so called "lesser" tounaments before hoping for a realistic chance at a major.

I do, however, wish him all the very best both for his preparations and his performance at Turnberry!!

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Deemac said:
I'm with Neil on this one! Luke needs to get into a winning mentality, and with the best will in the world that's NOT going to be the British Open.

I very much admire Luke's swing and get as frustrated as the next guy when such a beautiful swing doesn't produce better results, but let's keep it real - Luke should concentrate on the so called "lesser" tounaments before hoping for a realistic chance at a major.

I do, however, wish him all the very best both for his preparations and his performance at Turnberry!!
Links practice worked OK for the previous non Tour winner Ben Curtis.

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
I think Luke's strategy was vindicated. Best ever finish in The Open, and only a couple of shots away from a Claret Jug.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
I have to agree!! After Thursday and Friday I was worried he wouldn't even make the cut!!

But a fantastic performance on Sunday (-3) saw him come from nowhere to 5th! Fantastic!!

I'm happy to eat my words on this one!!

neil

HCP
Local club/country
usa
Irons
mizuno MP33 3-pW
Driver
Taylor made burner 9.5
he may have finished high up (and it was a great result) but he never was in contention
playing good golf while not in contention is easy (relatively) - playing good golf while IN contention is not. I would like to see Luke get his better results while in contention - that will show real mettle. Up 'til now most of his good results have come with no chance of winning and his disappointing results have come when in with a chance of the title - again, winning is everything in my view - good results just pay the bills.
I hope Luke becomes a winner.

Top Bottom