Long irons

HCP
Local club/country
WGCC
Irons
JPX900 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Titleist 915d2 8.5
Hi, I have JPX900 Forged 4-GW with DG AMT X100 shafts.

I’d like to add a long iron to the set. I currently hit the 4 iron (21* loft) about 215 yards.

Does anyone know which long iron would match my existing set best in terms of looks and performance?

I’d like to stick with Mizuno but I’m guessing it’s between MP18 MMC Flihi, MP H5 orTitleist 718 T-MB. And would I benefit from adding the same shaft as in my JPX900’s?

I’d be looking at a loft between 16-18*.

Hoping someone can help!!!

thanks

Local club/country
Mass
Irons
MP 67's 3 - W : 52 & 58 MPR-12's
If you wanted to stay in the JPX line it looks like they only make a 3i in the JPX 900 Tour.  Sad part is it is the same loft (21*) as your forged. 
Might be a tough find.  Any interest in a hybrid?

HCP
Local club/country
WGCC
Irons
JPX900 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Titleist 915d2 8.5
Thanks Vinny, yeah, struggling to find a straightforward long iron that will fit seamlessly into the set.

I do have a 2iron hybrid but I’m so much more accurate off the tee and in the wind with an iron.

There doesn’t seem to be anywhere locally where I can demo a 2 iron Mizuno or Titleist so hoping someone has some experience with the fli hi to know if it would fit with the JPX900 in terms of feel and performance?

streuner

HCP
Local club/country
GCC Blumisberg
Irons
Mizuno MP18 MMC Project X LZ steel
Driver
Cobra F6+ Miyasaki jdl6 shaft
H5 plays softer (weaker lofts) than the new FliHi MP18 Version, but the FliHi is longer and more stabile at impact. I guess  it could be a very nice long iron replacement for your JPx irons.

especially of you are looking for a lower ballflight the FliHi out of the MP18 series would be a good choice that is way cheaper  than the Titlist Option. 

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Boozler said:

I’d like to add a long iron to the set. I currently hit the 4 iron (21* loft) about 215 yards.

Does anyone know which long iron would match my existing set best in terms of looks and performance?

I’d like to stick with Mizuno but I’m guessing it’s between MP18 MMC Flihi, MP H5 orTitleist 718 T-MB. And would I benefit from adding the same shaft as in my JPX900’s?

thanks

You thought about buying another 900F 4i or 900 Tour 3i and having it delofted to suit your needs?

Local club/country
Mass
Irons
MP 67's 3 - W : 52 & 58 MPR-12's
Boozler said:
Thanks Vinny, yeah, struggling to find a straightforward long iron that will fit seamlessly into the set.

I do have a 2iron hybrid but I’m so much more accurate off the tee and in the wind with an iron.

There doesn’t seem to be anywhere locally where I can demo a 2 iron Mizuno or Titleist so hoping someone has some experience with the fli hi to know if it would fit with the JPX900 in terms of feel and performance?
I hear ya, I am not a hybrid fan at all!  Luckily my MP67s have a 3 iron.  A 3 iron is a must!
I have a couple of Ping 2 irons and have always kept my eye open for a 1 iron.... always wanted to hit one.  Someday I will find one.

It might be easier to find a Titleist one so try and match a similar head to the same shaft you have... might be the only option.  Good luck to you.

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
Keep in mind any of the forged heads you could have bent up to 2* stronger or weaker as needed. Most of the clubs you're talking about - H5, 718TMB, fli high - are not forged and can have the loft adjusted, but it needs to be done at the factory or by somebody who knows what they're doing. I've struggled to fill the gap between my MP5 4-iron and my 5-wood.

I started with the MPH5 2-iron (bent 1* weak). It is / was a good club, but it was too close to my 5-wood distance so didn't fix my problem (it was still a great driving iron for windy days, but it was more of a 5W replacement than a gap filler). My other complaint about the H5 is it is not as workable as I would like... probably the downside to it being somewhat forgiving, or at least as forgiving as you could expect from a 2-iron.

I'm now playing a Titleist 716TMB 3-iron. At first I hated it, but I've grown to love it. It's not as soft / smooth as the H5, but it better fills the distance gap I needed. In hindsight an H5 3-iron might have been a better choice. I do find the 716TMB a bit more workable. It stings more than the H5 when you miss the center, but does feel good on strongly contacted shots. I also tried out a 3-iron blade, in this case the Titleist blade. It was buttery smooth and exactly what I was looking for.

What that tells me is that I was an idiot for having my MP5 set stop at 4i and should have included the 3i. I could always have strengthened the loft 1* to make it more like a 2.5-iron and split the distance gap between my 4i and 5W a little better. I wish 2-irons were available in more models. Clearly it would be a low volume seller, but it would still be a nice touch.

HCP
Local club/country
WGCC
Irons
JPX900 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Titleist 915d2 8.5
streuner said:
H5 plays softer (weaker lofts) than the new FliHi MP18 Version, but the FliHi is longer and more stabile at impact. I guess  it could be a very nice long iron replacement for your JPx irons.

especially of you are looking for a lower ballflight the FliHi out of the MP18 series would be a good choice that is way cheaper  than the Titlist Option. 
Thanks Streuner, positive views on the Fli Hi

HCP
Local club/country
WGCC
Irons
JPX900 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Titleist 915d2 8.5
hursty said:
Boozler said:

thanks

You thought about buying another 900F 4i or 900 Tour 3i and having it delofted to suit your needs?
Thanks Hursty, no I hadn't considered that option. That would certainly maintain a consistency in feel and looks etc. I’ll look into it

HCP
Local club/country
WGCC
Irons
JPX900 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Titleist 915d2 8.5
Vinny Cap said:
Boozler said:

I hear ya, I am not a hybrid fan at all!  Luckily my MP67s have a 3 iron.  A 3 iron is a must!
I have a couple of Ping 2 irons and have always kept my eye open for a 1 iron.... always wanted to hit one.  Someday I will find one.

It might be easier to find a Titleist one so try and match a similar head to the same shaft you have... might be the only option.  Good luck to you.
Ha, yeah, same as me Vinny.

If I want to hit the fairway 210-220 yards my 4 irons in my hands every time. It’s my go to club off the tee. I hit a high draw even with X stiff shafts....so if I had an equivalent 16-18* iron, I think I’d be confident enough to hit pretty much the same shot, but maybe 15-20 yards longer with a lower flight. And on my home course that would be pretty useful

HCP
Local club/country
WGCC
Irons
JPX900 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Titleist 915d2 8.5
Kgrove said:
Keep in mind any of the forged heads you could have bent up to 2* stronger or weaker as needed. Most of the clubs you're talking about - H5, 718TMB, fli high - are not forged and can have the loft adjusted, but it needs to be done at the factory or by somebody who knows what they're doing. I've struggled to fill the gap between my MP5 4-iron and my 5-wood.

I started with the MPH5 2-iron (bent 1* weak). It is / was a good club, but it was too close to my 5-wood distance so didn't fix my problem (it was still a great driving iron for windy days, but it was more of a 5W replacement than a gap filler). My other complaint about the H5 is it is not as workable as I would like... probably the downside to it being somewhat forgiving, or at least as forgiving as you could expect from a 2-iron.

I'm now playing a Titleist 716TMB 3-iron. At first I hated it, but I've grown to love it. It's not as soft / smooth as the H5, but it better fills the distance gap I needed. In hindsight an H5 3-iron might have been a better choice. I do find the 716TMB a bit more workable. It stings more than the H5 when you miss the center, but does feel good on strongly contacted shots. I also tried out a 3-iron blade, in this case the Titleist blade. It was buttery smooth and exactly what I was looking for.

What that tells me is that I was an idiot for having my MP5 set stop at 4i and should have included the 3i. I could always have strengthened the loft 1* to make it more like a 2.5-iron and split the distance gap between my 4i and 5W a little better. I wish 2-irons were available in more models. Clearly it would be a low volume seller, but it would still be a nice touch.
Thanks Kgrove, great response.

The Titleist T-MB does come with the same stock shaft as my JPX900’s and the 2 iron would maintain my gapping...but as someone pointed out, it’s a pretty expensive club. And I wonder whether the feel would be so totally different to my irons that I just wouldn’t enjoy it.

The Fli Hi 2 iron is 16.5* and the 3 iron 19*. My 4 iron is 21* and with the Boron and subsequent extra distance I seem to get out of this club, I would probably need to go with the 2 iron as I’m guessing the Fli Hi 3 iron would be too close distance wise (or maybe not...no idea). The 2 iron would literally then be my driving iron, my 2nd shot down a long par 5 and maybe even my punch under the trees solution, rather than a gap filler.

Bending another JPX 900 4 iron 2* to give me 19* might work but it does scare me a little having a club tweaked as don’t know enough about it to know if it creates other problems in the clubs address position. And also maybe 19* isn’t enough ‘extra distance’ that I’m looking for.

All replies have been great and really got me thinking. Solution: Mizuno make an 18* JPX 900 Forged 3 iron!!! Ha...if only...just need to decide on a workaround. But with no one having demos of these options I think I’m just going to have to bite the bullet somewhere along the line

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
I have the same JPX900F irons (4-PW) which I love! - My previous set (MP5) were also 4-PW and I added a hybrid 3 iron to fill the gap between 4 iron & 5 wood - When I got the 900F's I realised I hit the new 4 iron about the same distance as my hybrid 3 iron, but I also changed my woods (also 900's) and the gap between my 4 iron & 5 wood was back again!
I have a pal who is a club builder & has strong ties to Mizuno - He doesn't get new Mizuno gear & usually has older iron, woods & hybrid heads - I got him to make me a 19* MP650 hybrid & as well as becoming one of my favourite clubs in the bag, also fills the gap between 4 iron & 5 wood
Hope that helps?
Paul

Top Bottom