Ladies Set Makeup 6-W or 6-SW

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Mrs DCB has a set of JPX EZ irons, she has played with them for 3-4 seasons now. When she got them, the sets seemed to come in either 6-W or 6-SW. Curious as to why the 5 iron doesn't appear to be popular nowadays. She has hybrids for the 4 & 5 slots in the bag, but, I recently came across a 5 iron in same spec as the rest of her set on ebay. She has hankered after a 5 iron as it was in regular use at our club, ideal length for certain shots. Hopefully she'll take to this new addition, but, curious as to the driving force behind the standard set makeup for the Ladies.

LOS

Local club/country
England
It's not just womens clubs but mens as well. The lofts are bcoming that strng that you don't need as many long irons these days.
One of my playing partners just bought 5-SW TM M3's

CLUB 5 6 7 8 9 PW AW SW
LOFT 23.0°26.5°30.5°35.0°40.0°45.0°50.0°55.0°

The M4 5 iron is 21.5^

When I bought my JPX900 Forged I only got the 6-PW

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I think it's to do with the comparative ease of hitting hybrids v the longer irons - A similar thing happened with mens sets where 30yrs ago it was normal for a set to run from 1 iron to SW - Even a 3 iron is unusual today, never mind a 1 or 2 iron
I wish I was one of those people who takes to the hybrid? - Unless I have a heavier graphite or same shaft as my irons, I hook the living daylights out of them! - Maybe I'll warm to them as I get (even) older, but for now it's long irons for me (Mizuno of course!)
Paul

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Well Mrs DCB got her nice shiny new 5 iron at Christmas time and was delighted. Even though she has had a 5 hybrid in the bag since she got the set of irons, she has always felt that an actual 5 iron would have been more versatile than the FliHi hybrid. Hopefully she'll get the handicap moving downwards again this year as a result.

Top Bottom