HCP
Local club/country
Newmachar GC
Irons
Mizuno MP54 (3-PW, DG S300)
Driver
Ping G (9.6deg, Alta Blue X-Stiff)
Hi All

I'm seriously considering changing my MP54s for a set of JPX 900 Forged. I know I need custom fitted, which I'll be doing soon. I also was wondering what a typical set makeup would be so I can prepare questions for the fitter. 

My current MP54s set is made up of 3 to PW in standard length and lie, with DG Gold S300 shafts.

I'm currently using a 3-iron in my MP54s (21deg, 38.75"). I hit that quite well, so I'm curious how that compares to a JPX 900 Forged 4-iron (21deg, 38.25") for distance? My belief is that it would be roughly equivalent given the roughly equal specs.

If I were to order 7 clubs in JPX 900 Forged (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & PW), I'd have space for another club. I'm already carrying an MP-H4 2-iron at the top end of the set, so I was also wondering what else to carry if I went JPX 900 Forged and the JPX 4-iron was the equivalent of my current 3-iron. If you're already using these, did you add another wedge?

I'll ask all these questions to the fitter also, but if you could add some opinion I'd be grateful.

Cheers
Silver Fox

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
its the bottom (PW) end that I've had most trouble adjusting to.

The PW is stronger lofted than the 54 so you might find that you will have a bigger gap distance between your PW and the next wedge in your bag so it may be worth considering an extra wedge/adjustments to your current wedge set up.

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
21 deg is your traditional 3 iron  and with a 45deg PW in the 900's i would suggest either 55 & 60 or 54&58 wedges should fit the bill.Only you can decide that my friend

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
RobB2 said:
21 deg is your traditional 3 iron  and with a 45deg PW in the 900's i would suggest either 55 & 60 or 54&58 wedges should fit the bill.Only you can decide that my friend
Interested to know why you would think having a 10° gap between PW and Wedge is a good idea to then follow it up with a 60°.... That makes no sense.

Surely if the PW is 45° and you only wish to carry 2 more wedges you would go with a 50° and a 56°?

The options you have quoted leave a massive gap between PW and Other Wedge and then sit too close together to provide any real option.

Just my opinion.

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
With 7 (JPX900F) irons, current driver, putter and your H4, you still have room for 4 other clubs.  Quite a bit of choice really.

You could add something around 15 degree in the long clubs (3 Wood) and then 50/55/60 in the wedges.  This would give pretty good gaps in the loft, just depends how the distances pan out!

Silver Fox

HCP
Local club/country
Newmachar GC
Irons
Mizuno MP54 (3-PW, DG S300)
Driver
Ping G (9.6deg, Alta Blue X-Stiff)
Celtic_Bil said:
With 7 (JPX900F) irons, current driver, putter and your H4, you still have room for 4 other clubs.  Quite a bit of choice really.

You could add something around 15 degree in the long clubs (3 Wood) and then 50/55/60 in the wedges.  This would give pretty good gaps in the loft, just depends how the distances pan out!
Thanks for all the replies. This is exactly what I was wondering. I'm thinking my set would look a lot like that. I have my driver, a 4-wood, a 2-iron and a putter. Add 7 off JPX900F would leave space for 3 wedges and I currently carry only 2 (a 50 and a 56).

The gapping is a bit weird with that setup, but I don't hit many full shots with the 56 so it works OK. Perhaps a 50, a 54 and 58 would work as I would only use the 58 for bunker shots and awkward shots over obstacles. I'm also liking the current Mizuno wedge line-up ;) 

Anyway, I'll book myself a fitting session and get these questions answered by a Mizuno fitter. 

Cheers
Silver Fox

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Silver Fox said:
Celtic_Bil said:

Thanks for all the replies. This is exactly what I was wondering. I'm thinking my set would look a lot like that. I have my driver, a 4-wood, a 2-iron and a putter. Add 7 off JPX900F would leave space for 3 wedges and I currently carry only 2 (a 50 and a 56).

The gapping is a bit weird with that setup, but I don't hit many full shots with the 56 so it works OK. Perhaps a 50, a 54 and 58 would work as I would only use the 58 for bunker shots and awkward shots over obstacles. I'm also liking the current Mizuno wedge line-up ;) 

Anyway, I'll book myself a fitting session and get these questions answered by a Mizuno fitter. 

Cheers
Silver Fox
Sounds pretty good.  Once you've had your fitting and got your hands on your new shiny irons, it may be an idea to have a trackman session and check the distance gaps between the clubs.  You could always tweak the lofts on the wedges if needed..

Local club/country
UK

Cheers
Silver Fox
This is pretty much the same as my set up;

Driver
4 wood
2 iron
4-PW JPX 900F

The gapping works out perfectly for me

Top Bottom