HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
WD at the Dubai Desert Classic after an opening 77 and not even teeing it up on day 2 citing a back injury. If he is injured, for me he is finished because he can't ever play 4 days physically.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Tiger who?

I'm sceptical about the way he walks after a "spasm". I remember a similar limp I used to get off games in the 5th form. Didn't fool the games Master then and doesn't fool me now.

RMM

HCP
Local club/country
Golf St. Apollinaire (France)
Irons
MP-68 DG-S300 3, Black Nickel 4 - PW / MP-T11 Black Nickel 50/52/54/56/58/60/64 / Bobby Grace Putter / Back-up irons: MP-60 2-P, MP-67 2-P
Driver
TSi2 10 Tensei blue/ 910F 15 Kai'li / 910F 19 Kai'li
OhBoy! said:
Tiger who?

I'm sceptical about the way he walks after a "spasm". I remember a similar limp I used to get off games in the 5th form. Didn't fool the games Master then and doesn't fool me now.
I do not understand why he played in Dubai (for us it would be for the Money, but for him??): He had to take a long and delayed flight from California with his delicate back, suffered from jet lag and had not found his rhythm for 2-4 days tournaments. Playing just US tournaments for the next few weeks might have been a smarter choice for such an experienced champ.

Logie

HCP
Local club/country
Fleetwood GC/UK http://www.fleetwoodgolf.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno MP Fli H4 3 & 4 Irons; MP64 5 - PW irons; MP T-10 52 & 58 deg wedges all with NS Pro 1150 G stiff shafts: MP650 22 degree hybrid regular Orochi shaft.
Driver
JPX 850 10.5 degrees: Fujikura Motore Speeder VC6.3 Stiff.
While it would be great for golf if Tiger was able to become competitive again, it looks highly unlikely that that will ever happen. His back is simply not up to it anymore after all the injuries and surgeries he has undergone over the past few years.

Reminds me a little of watching the struggle Seve for the last few years of his playing career.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Please stop now Tiger! - The media would rather watch him stinking up the place than watch some actual golf being played - Sad to see, much like my all time golf hero Seve when he tried to soldier on ... Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
While I certainly don't wish Tiger ill, I'm not sure it's a good idea for him to come back, but maybe for different reasons than some think. I hope he heals so he can enjoy life, but when he's not playing well or he withdraws, it's not good for golf in a general way.

When he dropped off tour 16 months ago, attendance went down, as did tv ratings. While he was gone, the media turned their attention to other players and built up attendance and ratings all over again.

Now, with Tiger's return, the media is so focused no him again. Hopefully, if this is an injury and he has to leave the tour again, it won't affect attendance as much as in the past.

While he's not playing there this year, the tournament in Phoenix is an exception in that everything Waste Management and the Thunderbirds organization do reminds the public that golf exists primarily for charity. I don't think tournaments make that as perfectly clear as they should. I think too m any people think tournaments are for entertainment and for players to make a living. I know a lot of my nongolfing friends think that.

When attendance is down because one player isn't playing, money for charity goes down. In the case of Tiger, media attention that is so focused on him creates an even larger effect than if Dustin, Ricky, Jordan or Jason aren't playing that week.

Consider the situation here in Miami. The Doral tournament has raised hundreds of millions of dollars for charity over it's long history. Because of Trump's comments during the campaign and debates, the tournament is being taken away from his course and a lot of local charities will suffer for it.

I think the PGA needs to manhandle the media to a certain extent. When they see something like Tiger's withdrawal and if it turns out to be more than a week long issue, they need to promote the tour and other players in a way that protects attendance for the sake of the charities they play for.

slash

HCP
ear2ear
Local club/country
Canada
Irons
MP64 & MP R
Driver
™ SuperTri v2
Eldrip doesn't know when to say when.  As long as he has his manager Steiny the painful retirement will continue.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Keep 'em coming, Slash. I never tire of your view of the golfing world. :)

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
He has pulled out of the Genesis Open and the Honda Classic.

It is very possible he is finished.

trojan615

HCP
Local club/country
Brocket hall, Knebworth..
Irons
Mizuno - MP 5... 4- PW , DG X100 , 2 deg up, + 0.5
Driver
Titliest 915 D3. Whiteboard
looking positively.. if doc said rest it, there is no way he would risk tweaking it before a Masters warm up...

I don't think the weather in the middle east helped his thought process....  he knew the score would be headlines and the conditions not mentioned

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Halebopp said:
He has pulled out of the Genesis Open and the Honda Classic.

It is very possible he is finished.
While not a Tiger fan, for many years I would have discussed this point from the opposite position. Tiger has a huge ego and drive to succeed, but I have begun to believe that when it comes to his back, he has finally come up against an opponent he cannot defeat.

I still believe there are numerous areas of golf specifically or sport in general, in which he can contribute and make a positive influence. Maybe it's time.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
There was a brief article this morning, not much more than a headline really. It said Tiger's doctors have advised him not to exercise for more than 20 minutes at a time. That sounds pretty ominous to me.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
DennisMiller said:
There was a brief article this morning, not much more than a headline really. It said Tiger's doctors have advised him not to exercise for more than 20 minutes at a time. That sounds pretty ominous to me.
That'll be just the one cocktail waitress at a time .....

DGMP

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
My expectation is that Tiger will no longer be able to compete effectively to win tournaments, or even put four low rounds together.
In Tiger's prime his razor sharp pitching, chipping, and putting game produced the consistently low scores. However in the most recent years he appears to have tension playing , short game shots and putts with yippy type strokes.
Historically, guys with the short game yips drop off the Tour. He might be able to find a long putter or claw grip or something to help with putting. But, there doesn't seem to be anything a player can do to over come nervy chipping and pitching yips.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I don't remember where I saw it in the past couple days, but there was an article asking whether current players would enjoy the longevity in the game into their years on the senior tour like the generation before them.

The argument was basically saying the old fashioned golf swing wasn't all that great on the human skeletal structure and muscles, but the modern swing is even worse.

Obviously the only answer is, time will tell, but it makes me wonder if such a wildly analytical kid as Bryson DeChambeau doesn't consider his physical health in the way he swings a golf club. Based on what I've read about him, I don't see it out of the realm of possibility that he might lead the way into a somewhat redesigned idea of a modern swing.

In the meantime, I'm glad to hear golf is bad for my back. Now I don't have to blame my back pains on my gut and lack of a proper diet or exercise.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Some radio reports today suggesting he may play next week at August.  That could be interesting :)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
DCB said:
Some radio reports today suggesting he may play next week at August.  That could be interesting :)
Interesting or disappointing?

Consider this... Augusta National sells a limited number of tickets to the Masters. That means if Tiger shows up and tries to play, he doesn't increase the crowd attending the tournament.

Instead, his appearance eliminates the opportunity for someone else to play in the Masters.

If his game was in any kind of condition to compete, I think we'd have heard about it a long before now. I hope he doesn't play. I'd rather not see him take away an opportunity for another player, but I'd also like to see Tiger return when his game allows him to be competitive. Only then...

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
DennisMiller said:
Instead, his appearance eliminates the opportunity for someone else to play in the Masters.
I don't think he would be taking another players place Dennis.

As far as I am aware, there is a set criteria for masters qualification and everyone gets an invite.  So the field would just be one less if Tiger pulls out.  I could be wrong though...

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'm not sure. Obviously he's invited for life as a past champion, but I think they limit the field in the areas of world rankings. I'm not sure either, but the one thing I do know is, I don't want to see him laying badly and possible hurting himself again. If there's a chance he really can rehab and return to the tour, I'd hate to see him chance that and let's face it, Augusta National is one of the hilliest courses they play all year. Walking up and down hills is not good for his back when he has unlevel lies to hit from.

Top Bottom