Iron Shaft thickness.

HCP
Local club/country
King James V1 Perth Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-pw and MP57 4-pw - Mizuno T series wedges 52 & 56 deg.
Driver
Ping G5
I purchased a set of MP57 irons at the turn of the year ,after custom fit in Glasgow and I have struggled to play well with them.
Basically , unlike my old MP30 irons ,they feel uncomfortable, as the handle end feels too thick. My old Irons had Dynamic Gold shafts with tour velvet grips , the new MP57's have Nippon 950 nspro shafts with m21 grips. Both sets were fitted as standard size. On telephoning Mizuno , I was informed that there was no difference in size,in either grip or shaft. With this information I approached my local Pro on the subject and he confirmed the new grips were most certainly thicker in feel. We decided to replace the grip on the 4 iron with a standard Tour velvet grip and there was simply no perceptable change in feel - still too thick.
On telephoning Appllied Golf Technology in St Andrews , I was informed immediately that the Nippon shaft is slightly thicker and they suggested a thinner grip. Has anyone else come across this problem. I am now playing my old irons again ,until thinner grips are fitted at my expense.

alexchung

HCP
Local club/country
Cawder Golf Club/Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP60 3-PW
Driver
Bridgestone J33R 460 10.5* Accra Tour M
I think the Nippons (I am sure that the experts would confirm) and some other shafts have thicker butt ends which would mean that they should be fitted with thinner grips if you want to keep the grips the same thickness as your previous set.
Alex

HCP
Local club/country
Kwinana Perth Western Australia
Irons
MP-57 4-PW IS2 tour spec stiff MPT 51/56/60 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MP 630 fast track MP 3 and 5 woods Fubuki shafts
Get the grips removed and stretched down the shaft an inch makes a huge difference google it theres lots of articles regarding grips too thick

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Marsh

Have to ask - did you try the irons with these grips at your fitting in Cumbernauld?

Local club/country
AUSTRALIA
Irons
Mizuno / MP-32 / 3-PW
Driver
Nike / Sumo 5000 / 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 65S
NS Pro definitely has thicker butt than TT,..NS Pro feels firmer tho..in my opinion anyway..it comes down to what sort of feel you like, go for NS PRO if you want firmer shaft or wanting to try out NS Pro and just change the grips...but if you like the feel of TT with the same performance you used to, then i suggest you change the shafts and grips all together..pull out NS Pro, sell them and re-fit with TT..i mean at the end of the day even tho you can change the grips but it's the shafts that are more important.

palo-tayo

Local club/country
England
Irons
Epon Type X and AF 701/ Ping i5/TM 300/ Cobra CB
Driver
Callaway FT5 and FTi imix
IIRC the butt of NSpro is .610

HCP
Local club/country
King James V1 Perth Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-pw and MP57 4-pw - Mizuno T series wedges 52 & 56 deg.
Driver
Ping G5
Thanks for the various replies. I have now fitted thinner golf pride tour velvet grips and the clubs feel much better now.
With regard to the question of trying the grips at the fitting ,the answer is ,-basically I just went along with the advice given at the fitting and I can't say I was aware of the problem at that time.
It was later when playing with the new clubs that I noticed the problem. At a coaching session ,I mentioned it and the pro said he agreed that the grips did feel thicker at the butt end.
If the rain ever stops here I might be able to give the new grips a proper go in competition.
Thanks
Marsh

Top Bottom