If they perform so well, why don't more golfers play Mizuno drivers?

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Good question from Crossfield at the end. All the tests (this one, Shiels, My Golf Spy) demonstrating that Mizuno drivers are at very top end of performance stats. Is it taking a while for golfers to realise or are we just out advertised?

Last edited:

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
For those with better things to do (or a life!) the question seems to be if the GT180 looks great, feels great & goes great, why don't more people game it?
Crossfield asks the question, but doesn't offer an answer? - I haven't tried the 180 yet, but having previously used the JPX900 I only changed it when I found something that performed better than it (for me) - When the 180 can be bought used I will compare it with my current driver & "keep the winner"
Paul

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
For those with better things to do (or a life!) the question seems to be if the GT180 looks great, feels great & goes great, why don't more people game it?
Crossfield asks the question, but doesn't offer an answer? - I haven't tried the 180 yet, but having previously used the JPX900 I only changed it when I found something that performed better than it (for me) - When the 180 can be bought used I will compare it with my current driver & "keep the winner"
Paul
Have reworded the question - thanks.

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
Got an ST180 recently, the non-adjustable (other than hozel) version.

Definitely best driver I've ever had. First Mizuno driver bought from new.

Yes - you are out-advertised. And TaylorMade must pay non staff players to play their woods - why else are so many non staff players using TM woods?

Not worth playing that game.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
I don’t think they pay non-staffers. Think you will find that just like their putters and also Odyssey Putters, pros gravitate to what is being used by successful others if given free reign in most cases.
It’s just like pros gravitating to Mizuno irons over the last year since the performances of Koepka, Casey, Fisher & Wood etc have been of focus.
Take Mcilroy as a worst case:
A) given choice after end of Nike, chooses Callaway
B) sees how successful DJ, J-Day, Sergio is with TM....
C) scraps Callaway deal to move to TM..... even though the equipment clearly doesn’t suit!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I think it's just a matter of visibility. It takes a while to change the public's buying habits from brand to brand and unless Mizuno has a bunch of tour pros rush to play some new driver, there won't be much stimulus for the public to do it either.

For a long time, TM drivers were looked upon as being the more innovative in the business. They did things to make sure their drivers were more recognizable from a distance too. First white driver... M1 and M2 models with the white paint bar across the front. Their plan is reinforced by the high number of tour pros they endorse.

Add to all that the simple fact that we, as golfers, often tend to buy certain clubs for the wrong reasons, sometimes based on who we like that plays them. How many people have you seen with classic blades in their bag, but who definitely need super game improvement? The human ego is a terrible thing.

One brand without the big market share has an awful lot to overcome just in visibility and human nature, even if they make the best clubs in the industry and we all know who that is.

1222tmiller

HCP
Local club/country
Northern Virginia - USA
Irons
Mizuno CLK 2-5, 6-PW JPX 900 Forged
Driver
RBZ 2 Driver, 3w
Lack of shaft options. It has always been the downfall of the drivers.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Lack of shaft options. It has always been the downfall of the drivers.
It's a pretty comprehensive shaft pack performance wise. What do you think is missing?

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I just saw your Facebook post about the Rick Shiels top-10 drivers. I'm wondering whether or not it is a good thing to advertise your products as "surprising" as if admitting you've made bad equipment or weren't expecting the club to do as well yourself. Why not just "assert dominance" and market your woods as the top-of-the-line gear it is? Don't sell yourself short.

I've had the same thought about Wilson Staff and their "seriously" campaigns. Why can't they market themselves with dignity, with their history and prestige as opposed to this goofy underdog image? Maybe I'm just not one of those who they're targeting with such adds and that's why I don't understand it. :)

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
I just saw your Facebook post about the Rick Shiels top-10 drivers. I'm wondering whether or not it is a good thing to advertise your products as "surprising" as if admitting you've made bad equipment or weren't expecting the club to do as well yourself. Why not just "assert dominance" and market your woods as the top-of-the-line gear it is? Don't sell yourself short.

I've had the same thought about Wilson Staff and their "seriously" campaigns. Why can't they market themselves with dignity, with their history and prestige as opposed to this goofy underdog image? Maybe I'm just not one of those who they're targeting with such adds and that's why I don't understand it. :)
A lot is targeted at retailers, fitters and influencers who might be taking the easy route of selling the most advertised product. Sometimes need to jolt the mechanisms within the industry to look outside the obvious.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
A lot is targeted at retailers, fitters and influencers who might be taking the easy route of selling the most advertised product. Sometimes need to jolt the mechanisms within the industry to look outside the obvious.
Ah, that makes quite a bit more sense to me. :)

1222tmiller

HCP
Local club/country
Northern Virginia - USA
Irons
Mizuno CLK 2-5, 6-PW JPX 900 Forged
Driver
RBZ 2 Driver, 3w
It's a pretty comprehensive shaft pack performance wise. What do you think is missing?
Different shafts have different kick points. For instance an Aldila, Tour AD, and ProForce kick points just don't work for me. Literally a 40 yard difference in driving distance. Fujikura and Diamana seem the best for me. I seem to have my best luck with Fujikura. You have an amazing if not the best selection of shafts for irons, but easily the worse for drivers.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I'm not sure whether or not this has been discussed before so here I am asking away.

When are you introducing the Swing DNA system to your woods? Introducing the system would definitely make it easier for people to go with Mizuno woods if they can't attend demo days or do actual fittings. It should definitely also help the retailers to take Mizuno woods more seriously and even "push" customers to try the system.

Of course, it's probably a lot more difficult to make a suitable shaft for the woods than it is for irons. Chances are I'm also underestimating the number of people who buy drivers off the rack because the add says it's longer and someone won a tournament with it last week.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
I'm not sure whether or not this has been discussed before so here I am asking away.

When are you introducing the Swing DNA system to your woods? Introducing the system would definitely make it easier for people to go with Mizuno woods if they can't attend demo days or do actual fittings. It should definitely also help the retailers to take Mizuno woods more seriously and even "push" customers to try the system.

Of course, it's probably a lot more difficult to make a suitable shaft for the woods than it is for irons. Chances are I'm also underestimating the number of people who buy drivers off the rack because the add says it's longer and someone won a tournament with it last week.
The software does make a recommendation for driver shaft already............but suspect the fitters don't take the process that far.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
The software does make a recommendation for driver shaft already............but suspect the fitters don't take the process that far.
This is the first time I've heard of it, as a somewhat avid Mizuno follower, maybe you should be slightly worried about it. Of course, I happen to live in the geographical black hole of Mizuno representation and have missed the couple of demo days the past two years.

Where is the video of Chris fitting Nick for the woods or just talking us through it? Or the articles on GolfWRX and MyGolfSpy? In my opinion you definitely need to get the word out.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
This is the first time I've heard of it, as a somewhat avid Mizuno follower, maybe you should be slightly worried about it. Of course, I happen to live in the geographical black hole of Mizuno representation and have missed the couple of demo days the past two years.

Where is the video of Chris fitting Nick for the woods or just talking us through it? Or the articles on GolfWRX and MyGolfSpy? In my opinion you definitely need to get the word out.
It's very much a 'fitter driven' part of the mechanism......so if they're not taking advantage of it / or no service near you, that leaves a few stones unturned. Thanks for the feedback.

Grilled Cheese

HCP
Local club/country
Mizuno Golf Club/USA
Irons
Split Set - MP H5 (3 - 5), MP-64 (6 - PW), MP T5 (51, 58)
Driver
Mizuno MP-630 10.5 with Fujikura F3 70 Stiff
Different shafts have different kick points. For instance an Aldila, Tour AD, and ProForce kick points just don't work for me. Literally a 40 yard difference in driving distance. Fujikura and Diamana seem the best for me. I seem to have my best luck with Fujikura. You have an amazing if not the best selection of shafts for irons, but easily the worse for drivers.
Hey guys! Been away for a while but I'm back on the forum!
This is a great topic of discussion.

Main thing I'll say is this. Last year was the start of us bolstering our wood shaft options. Last year we went from 1 from 4. Coming soon we will add 3 or 4 more.
It doesn't change overnight, but we know the benefits of a well fit driver shaft and are working to better serve that market as our drivers continue to gain traction.

Hope this info is helpful!

wayne

HCP
Local club/country
none now
Irons
JPX Hot Metal 5-GW Modeus 105 shaft reg mid-size black and white grips
Driver
ST-180 driver standard
I saw a survey on the internet. they asked all the tour players if you had to purchase golf clubs and werent given clubs what would you buy.
85% of pros said Mizuno and the other 15% was Titleist.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
It's very much a 'fitter driven' part of the mechanism......so if they're not taking advantage of it / or no service near you, that leaves a few stones unturned. Thanks for the feedback.
Get the customers asking for the service from the pro shops! :) The pro shop at my home club does have the fitting system for irons but no club inventory, nothing in the shelves, no other stores around here carry Mizuno unfortunately.

I will be expecting a shipment of a 5 wood or a pair of shoes the day I see Chris introducing the driver fitting on Youtube. ;)

wayne

HCP
Local club/country
none now
Irons
JPX Hot Metal 5-GW Modeus 105 shaft reg mid-size black and white grips
Driver
ST-180 driver standard
I just came back to Mizuno and am very pleased. I have changed my shafts for the first time in years.
Went to the Modus 105 regular instead of my typical KBS Tour 90 regular.
I really like the Hot Metal irons very much. my last set was MX-200 back in 2008.
I will not change to anything but Mizuno anymore.

Top Bottom