I Made A Mistake!

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
JPX919 Forged 5-GW, Hot Metal Pro 4 iron
Driver
Callaway EPIC
So, last year my wife offered to buy me a new set of Irons for my birthday - happy days!

I booked an iron fitting at Silvermere in England - great facility if you've never been there.

I'm a 9 handicapper and i've always played Mizuno irons. My previous irons were a set of MP53's and I thought I wanted to upgrade to the MP18 SC irons.

I went to the fitting with a very open mind and decided to try lots of irons - Mizuno, Titleist, Callaway, Taylormade, Honma etc. I was absolutely flushing it on the day and to be honest I could've walked away with any set. Anyway, I opted for Titleist AP3's as they just felt a little bit hotter off the face and were slightly longer - I definitely bought the marketing story of more distance and forgiveness but with the looks of a players iron. It was the first time I'd ever bought non-Mizuno irons and also non-forged.

Long story short, and as the title suggests, I made a big mistake. I stuck with them for 9 months but finally had to give up on them. They felt nice if you flushed one out of the middle but then shouldn't all decent irons!? On the whole though they felt 'clicky' off the face, had inconsistent distance and dispersion results and I generally wasn't enjoying them.

Since I bought the AP3's, Mizuno had launched the JPX919's. What a gorgeous looking golf club! Just looking at them in the shop made me miss playing Mizuno's! 4 weeks ago I decided to cut my losses, sell the AP3's and get fitted for a set of 919 forged.

I can honestly say that I've already hit better and more enjoyable shots in 3 weeks (course and range) than I did with the AP3's in the last 9 months! I cant believe how much different they feel. I'm loving having that buttery smoothness back and I am so relieved that I gave up on the Titleist (cast) and went back to Mizuno (forged). I am actually looking forward to going to the range now rather than it feeling like a bit of a chore.

Needless to say, I don't think I will repeat my mistake by going away from Mizuno irons again in the future!

Moral of the story - Nothing Feels Like A Mizuno!

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
With you all the way but never having strayed I seem to have at least 4 sets of irons MX23, 2x MP18mcc and still my valentine love MP53, the only irons I have sacrificed have been trade ins for the babies stated and now the JPX919 Pro is calling for a session mmmmmmm

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
We've all made mistakes ... I had a winter playing TM LT2s and was back on the MP30s by the spring. Stayed on the straight and narrow ever since ;) Even when ried to get back into golf after my accident in 2014 I didn't look elsewhere for clubs as Mizuno had entered the super GI field with the first of the EZs ( a vastly under rated club IMO )

Hopefully the OP will continue to see improvement in his game now he is back in the fold :)

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I remember buying non Mizuno irons once... that was a tough couple of weeks...
Spot on Large Pedro! ... Reminds me of a classic quote from George Best: "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life!"
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I did the same thing in the past few years, trying a set of Taylormade irons and recently a set of Cobra One Length irons. While i sorta feel the one length concept is interesting and might work pretty well for someone as tall as I am, (6'7"), they would have to be fitted way beyond how they normally come off the rack. The day I went back to my 900 Hot Metals, I was convinced I'd done the right thing.

You didn't make a mistake. Like I did, you only convinced yourself that Mizuno is the right club for you.

Top Bottom