HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'm carrying 13 clubs because I don't want a lob wedge. Where I want to fill in is something between my 3 wood and 4 hybrid, but I can't find the newer EZ hybrid or 5 wood available with the matching shaft.

So, my question is, if i bought the hybrid or 5 wood with the wrong shaft, intending to reshaft it, is there any reason to be concerned that the new shaft would fit the hosel? The current shafts are Fujikura HY shafts in the A flex.

Anyone know?

Thanks...

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Dennis ... Most hybrids use a .370 shaft but if the shaft you plan to use is of smaller diameter, like a fairway or iron shaft, it is common practice to use a shim to make up the difference - Although I have a hybrid shaft in my current club, I usually prefer to have the same shaft in my hybrid as in my irons - I always felt the light shafts & aerodynamic head of the hybrid caused me to lose control of the head due to the extra club head speed - Using a heavier iron shaft always worked better for me, but it could be a mental thing!
Cheers ... Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I guess I didn't make myself clear. I would buy a hybrid with, for example, a stiff shaft, then have it changed for the senior flex shaft. If I bought the 5 wood instead, I'd buy it with whatever shaft and then change it to the senior shaft, but I never meant to give the impression I wanted to mix and match parts from one to the other.

LOS

Local club/country
England
It was the part about "fitting the hosel".
From my previous link:-
shaft.jpg

The tip diameter is the same for both "X" and "A" .

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
I guess I didn't make myself clear. I would buy a hybrid with, for example, a stiff shaft, then have it changed for the senior flex shaft. If I bought the 5 wood instead, I'd buy it with whatever shaft and then change it to the senior shaft, but I never meant to give the impression I wanted to mix and match parts from one to the other.
Hi Dinnis,

That's exactly what I've just done I couldn't find a used CLK 19 deg Hybrid with the correct flex shaft already fitted to suit me, so I bought one that was fitted with a Fujikura Pro 83 X-flex and then had the shaft pulled and refitted with a new Project X 5 senior A-flex and grip that did suit me..!

John

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Thanks guys... As it turned out, I found an A flex 5 wood that perfectly matches my set and I bought it. I guess it will fit a distance gap and he helpful, but it won't be as useful as the 3 hybrid would be. It was cheap enough to grab it and still look for the hybrid.

The reason I'd still prefer the 3 hybrid is not just to fill a gap. It's because I know it'll be more useful during the 3-4 months when the days are pretty breezy here. I'll keep looking for another week or so, then buy whatever I can get with the proper JPX900 head.

Thanks...

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
Hi Dinnis,

That's exactly what I've just done I couldn't find a used CLK 19 deg Hybrid with the correct flex shaft already fitted to suit me, so I bought one that was fitted with a Fujikura Pro 83 X-flex and then had the shaft pulled and refitted with a new Project X 5 senior A-flex and grip that did suit me..!

John
Wait, I am not very acquainted with "refitting" Clubs. Is it possible to have the shaft changed with a changable hosel? As in will my fitter be able to just Change the shaft? Or is it possible to Change the shaft of, say a JPX900 Hybrid, by having it sent back to Mizuno to have it changed?
Would be very good to know, as then nothing would stop me from buying a JPX 900 Hybrid I have found online.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Wait, I am not very acquainted with "refitting" Clubs. Is it possible to have the shaft changed with a changable hosel? As in will my fitter be able to just Change the shaft? Or is it possible to Change the shaft of, say a JPX900 Hybrid, by having it sent back to Mizuno to have it changed?
Would be very good to know, as then nothing would stop me from buying a JPX 900 Hybrid I have found online.
Yes you can change any shaft, whether it is glued straight in to the head or has an adapter fitted (the adapter can be removed & re glued or a new one bought & fitted to the shaft you plan to use) - Any competent club fitter should be able to do this work?
Paul

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
Yes you can change any shaft, whether it is glued straight in to the head or has an adapter fitted (the adapter can be removed & re glued or a new one bought & fitted to the shaft you plan to use) - Any competent club fitter should be able to do this work?
Paul
Oh that is great to know. I never dared to ask any fitters thinking it might be a dumb question, I think therein lies the Problem :D. Thank you for the answer! This might finally make me pull the Trigger on a new Hybrid!

Top Bottom