How Has The Winter Affected Your Course

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Okay, probably a UK bias on this one, but, as the title says, how has the winter affected your course. We are heading towards mid April and the winter weather has been relentless this year. Here in the South of Scotland we seem to have had a long winter with numerous snow falls, lots of frosty mornings and the more normal wet and windy weather just for good measure. Hopefully we have had our last serious snowfall, but, the ground is so cold and so wet that nothing has really had a chance to start the usual spring recovery. I'm sure this will cause a fair bit of disquiet as courses will take a lot longer to get into good condition. What we need here is a couple of good, dry, breezy weeks to give the ground a chance to dry out. If we don't get that soon it isn't going to be a good spring / early summer up here.

How has your course been affected ?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Guildford is on chalk & much like you said DCB the rain has been relentless here too - The first three matches of our senior fixtures (including one today) have been cancelled as the visitors don't want to play on soggy greens or temporary ones
It's certainly been the wettest winter I can remember, though thankfully we did not have too much in the way of snow this year
New Forest likewise has been incredibly wet - We have renamed it New Forest On Sea! - I played there recently & a couple of the worst fairways were so wet you could not find a dry spot to place your ball - On those fairways there was a local rule in place to allow you to put your ball on a tee
Paul 

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Cant say the weather has been any better over here in Ayrshire on the West
Coast of Scotland,snow, frost, howling gales and extremely wet, due to this only the first 12 holes of my course have been playable the other 6 holes have been closed due to them being waterlogged, and its only thanks to some
excellent ground work by our team of three green staff over the
winter months repairing and installing new drainage that things have
started to improve and the full 18 holes are now back in play for the
start of the season, 

Having said that we still need to see an improvement in the weather to help
things along...!

John :)

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
This has been the wettest winter I can remember in Norfolk. We are blessed (or cursed depending on your viewpoint) with the lowest rainfall in the country. So it’s been a bit of a shock to have course closed for being waterlogged. That said it was only for a few days and is already looking better again. I think what we need more than anything is some heat to get things growing again.

I’m very much looking forward to the season albeit seemingly starting a bit later than normal.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Mrs DCB played yesterday and in reality the comp shouldn't have been played. Much of the course was waterlogged and the rest seemed to be a thin film of wet mud that oozed up around her shoes as she took her stance.  It's wet again today, so, course is only going to get worse.

Roll on summer.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Winter???

What is this thing called "Winter" you speak of???

I know of no such term...

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
The proper winter has treated the courses well around here. While the courses are soggy, the snow protected the turf as opposed to the past couple of years when ice and no cover from cold temperatures got to kill the grass in many areas.

Our club just posted a great picture of what one fairway looked like a year ago and how it is now (top):

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
JPX 900
That look amazing considering the conditions you have over there. We've had three consecutive dry, breezy weeks and that has helped dry the ground out very well. All we need is a bit of warmth to get the grass growing a bit bettter. Still the occasional night frost, so, still not out of winter yet. Next week looks good though :)

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
JPX 900
That look amazing considering the conditions you have over there. We've had three consecutive dry, breezy weeks and that has helped dry the ground out very well. All we need is a bit of warmth to get the grass growing a bit bettter. Still the occasional night frost, so, still not out of winter yet. Next week looks good though :)

Top Bottom