How does Pelle hit a 290 yard 3 wood?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Local club/country
UK
Pelle Edberg is now one of the European Tour's longest hitters. The Workshop staff recorded his new MX-700 3 wood at 290 yards. How does a relatively small player generate so much distance?

Watch Pelle's swing slow motion on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlwNUrJ8hQw

Redrage

HCP
Local club/country
Stirling GC, Scotland
Irons
Ping i10
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 and MP-60 3 Wood
the video in the link has been removed.

There are a number of players that can do that with a 3 wood and it puzzles me also, Casey isn't a tall man, neither is Villegas but both do a lot of conditioning work so perhaps it is a combination of suppleness and strength that allows them to generate such excellent timing and power.

HCP
Unknownyet
Local club/country
Clitheroe Golf Club
Irons
Mizuno MP-57 3 - PW, ProjectX 5.5
Driver
Taylor Made R7 Super Quad 9.5 Stiff
Immense shoulder turn! that's how! look at the coil!

Pete Player

HCP
Local club/country
www.levi.fi
Irons
Mizuno MP-69 3-PW, Cobra Tour Trusty 52, 56°
Driver
Cobra BiO Cell+ MyFly 8.5° Matrix Ozic 6Q3 X-Stiff, TM R9 fwy woods
craigallison2010 said:
Immense shoulder turn! that's how! look at the coil!
It's not only the shoulder coil, but the hip action that makes the difference. There is some Hoganism in both Edfors' and Casey's swings. Hands only trail the rest of the body and wrists try to keep up the lag as long as possible.

Early on I was given advice on how to twist your forearms through impact and I tried and tried and got tired. It just did not happen as the lower body did not work towards the target. Shoulders was supposed to be square at the impact, yet if you look at the long drive men on tour, there is no such thing as beeing square at impact. If you do that You'll setainly be square, if your playing partners out drive you by 50 to 100 meters every time.

Now when I've come familiar with the furious hip-turn of Sergio Garcia and Rory McIlroy I hit my drives regularly to the 265 meter mark and beyond 300 meters when I rip it.

And I'm far from beeing a scratch amateur - just a regular club hacker. :)

Top Bottom