How does Luke Donald hope to get up the world rankings?

slash

HCP
ear2ear
Local club/country
Canada
Irons
MP64 & MP R
Driver
™ SuperTri v2
Well, I certainly agree that LD needs to play more in regular events and given that last years major sites were generally more suited to his game he still came up short. NPI.

Also, his bridesmaids finish didn't have bombers because their advantage is reduced and they avoid Harbour Town just as LD is likely to avoid a bombers paradise.  

There is $ooooooo much currency available to these players today that they can pick and choose what is best for them.  The job, pga professional, while still incredibly competitive and cutting edge has become specialized and these millionaire golfers now pick their games like a golf shark chooses their pigeon, carefully.

LD likely has one chance left in his career, Augusta, all the others are simply far too modern and focused on bombing.  Luke has his work cut out especially with the youth bent that is becoming LPGAish.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Both Donald & Woody at Wentworth this week. Anyone going?

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Woody a creditable 6th at the Austrian Open (his first outing after winning at Wentworth?), so should consolidate his top 25 status.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Woody tied 23rd at US Open, but ranking drops from 23 to 24. I still don't understand this.

Donald misses cut and is down to 82 :(

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Hi OhBoy!, apologies if this has been answered before/elsewhere.

I think the ranking is based on an average of results from the last 2 years with some increased weighting given to more recent events. 

So someone could do well this weekend but if others have performed better historically then the week on week movement may not be as you would have expected. 

slash

HCP
ear2ear
Local club/country
Canada
Irons
MP64 & MP R
Driver
™ SuperTri v2
Four strokes is an eternity for Luke Donald to over take OWGR #1

25 strokes is the reality that make modern golf mostly about distance... WoW did Stenson put on a stripe show.

If Henrik were a Viking he would be known as "The Punisher"

The Open Final Leader Board

Ironclad

Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP-54, MP-64, MP-69 / MP-T5 50, 54, 58
Driver
Titleist 915 D3
2nd place at Wyndham helps. Nice to see him actually getting some TV time in the states during the main broadcast. He almost had a second hole-in-one on the 16th on Sunday.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
He seemed to have put together four good rounds this event. Which is great to see. Who know's a wee run of form now could make such a difference. Wild card for the Ryder Cup ??

slash

HCP
ear2ear
Local club/country
Canada
Irons
MP64 & MP R
Driver
™ SuperTri v2
Luke has become such an after thought they showed Furyk making a par, yet LD had less than two feet for birdie that took them 10 minutes to finally play.  LD has either pissed off some TV folk, lost so much media status or the media is simply brain dead.

BTW, he averaged over 300 yards this week-end, reported 303.5 TOUR AVG 309.2.

Short course, lighter rough allows bunters like Graham MacDowell and Luke to contend.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Bump.

Woody a creditable joint second after 2 rounds at Sun City. A good end to the season?

Donald seems to enter only selected events. Winding down career? TV beckoning?

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Woody fades over last 2 rounds. A common feature.

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
What a horrible plugged lie :shock:

Henne Zuel is bleedin lovely btw. But.. she does seem to be looking, erm, lighter?

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Bonobobananas said:

Henne Zuel is bleedin lovely btw. But.. she does seem to be looking, erm, lighter?
Her bio says she's a philanthropist (among other things) .....

Always Dutch

HCP
Local club/country
Kenilworth GC, Warwickshire
Irons
MP64 3-PW TourS400 (1/4 inch longer, two wraps), Vokey 52/8 & 58/4
Driver
Titleist 915D2, 915f, 915h (all Diamana blueboard stiff), scotty cameron putter
OhBoy! said:
Bonobobananas said:

Her bio says she's a philanthropist (among other things) .....
there is no way on this earth she came up with that word on her own, let alone spell it!

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Chris Wood has the Saturday night lead in Sweden. Here's to another victory.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Dropped shot on the last = joint second. May be enough for USOpen?

slash

HCP
ear2ear
Local club/country
Canada
Irons
MP64 & MP R
Driver
™ SuperTri v2
LD has dropped from 81st spot at the beginning of 2017 and currently teeters exactly upon the century mark of the  OWGR

Slip sliding away, slip sliding away
You know the nearer your destination
The more you're slip sliding away

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
slash said:
Slip sliding away, slip sliding away
You know the nearer your destination
The more you're slip sliding away
I love that song... Being that my other hobby is playing guitar and considering my age, Paul Simon's songs are some of my favorites.

The title alone also represents the state of my golf game really well right now.  ;-)

slash

HCP
ear2ear
Local club/country
Canada
Irons
MP64 & MP R
Driver
™ SuperTri v2
He wasn't serious about his season or was FAR too confident on his capabilities to compete at the highest levels.

Missing the play-offs isn't a big thing until you consider Luke's interest to compete when the only items to measure him on is published statistics.  All other golfing professionals around him in the Fed Ex played more, averaging more than 25 events, hence they gave themselves a greater chance for success.  If Luke were concerned about furthering his golf life this misstep would easily have been remedied.

Luke finished at 105th, 5 spots out of this weeks event, the second play off event.  His level of compete allowed for 17 events under his belt.  Top 10 averaged more than 21 events, 4 more than Luke.  95-104 played more than 25 events.   This one stat is THE indicator Luke has other priorities in his life other than competing in the upper echelon of golf and for this has to be a question mark as a brand ambassador for Mizuno, unless of course there are underlying reasons to continue to miss events and the downward rankings slide into obscurity.

He may have kept his PGA Tour card for another season, but if next season is a copy of 2017 he is at risk.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I agree with Slash.

I was watching the LPGA tournament yesterday and there was some talk about Stacy Lewis. The commentators were questioning her desire to play and her fire to win, at least for the moment. She's played less tournaments this year, but played well enough to have won something like $4,000,000. She's happily married and at some point, she will probably want to drop off tour to have children. Only then will she decide whether to come back once the kids are a few years old, or whether she wants to go into some other area of golf that wouldn't as stressful as competition every day. I could only make the same consideration in the direction as Luke.

Keep in mind, we talk about Luke, Stacy and Woody because they play our favorite brand. Maybe we hold them to a higher standard, (or we wish they would play to a higher standard), just because there's a little running bird on their sticks.

To a certain extent, the guys go through a similar family situation. We've heard it lots of times, reconsideration whether golf or family comes first.

While they are all different, someone among them must have won a ton of money, let's say Luke for example, and at what point does he say to himself, "Enough is enough..."  At that point, the pro changes his priorities, plays enough to make a good living, (good enough to keep his name relevant), but doesn't burn inside like he might have earlier in his career.

These guys are so ridiculously competitive it's hard to imagine such a case from our amateur point of view, but I contend it has to happen to all of them at some point. Maybe Luke has simply decided his time on the world stage isn't his first priority.

If I win the Florida Lottery next week, I'll let you know if enough is enough.   ;-)

Top Bottom