How does Luke Donald hope to get up the world rankings?

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
How does Luke Donald hope to get up the world rankings if he doesn't enter competitions?

For instance, last week, Luke (& Chris Wood) were at Woburn. Good so far. This week, Chris Wood is in Porttugal, but Luke isn't. Nor is he playing the frys.com in USA.

So how does he intend to do it?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I don't know. Can anyone claim to know he's off somewhere with his swing guru working on something?

The way Tiger always talks about how he can hit the ball beautifully in practice, but how different that is from competitive rounds, you do need to wonder where the balance is for someone like Luke who wants to ascend the world rankings.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Chris Wood now (marginally) above Luke Donald in world rankings.

djp

HCP
Local club/country
Batchwood Hall Golf Club
Irons
JPX800 Pro 5-PW MPT11 52/07, 58/10, 64/07, JPX 800 Hybrid 17 and 22
Driver
Driver JPX 800 10.5 Fubuki 3w JPX 800 Fubuki
Luke is playing in CIMB Classic (PGA Tour ) this week, and then WGC HSBC Champions next week. He needs to get himself back into the top 50 as soon as he can. Played very well on the Saturday at Woburn, I followed him round. Come on Luke!!

djp

HCP
Local club/country
Batchwood Hall Golf Club
Irons
JPX800 Pro 5-PW MPT11 52/07, 58/10, 64/07, JPX 800 Hybrid 17 and 22
Driver
Driver JPX 800 10.5 Fubuki 3w JPX 800 Fubuki
Not seen any of the coverage, but T75 in a field of 78 at +1. 16 shots back after two rounds. Not likely to be picking up many ranking points here I fear.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
He really needs to get some points on the board during this "funny season" or he'l not be going to Augusta and WGC events will pass him by. I see Woody is sitting just outside the Top 50 now (56), so his recent good form is paying dividends.

That Top 50 placing is so important.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Chris is beginning to roll now.  Top 10 in last 4 starts......8 in total for the season.  Plays well when the big players turn up as well - BMW Champs, Dunhill links and Turkish.  So close to those big ranking events for 2016....could really be the start of something.

Logie

HCP
Local club/country
Fleetwood GC/UK http://www.fleetwoodgolf.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno MP Fli H4 3 & 4 Irons; MP64 5 - PW irons; MP T-10 52 & 58 deg wedges all with NS Pro 1150 G stiff shafts: MP650 22 degree hybrid regular Orochi shaft.
Driver
JPX 850 10.5 degrees: Fujikura Motore Speeder VC6.3 Stiff.
Chris seems to have a good run injury wise which he meant he can get a good run of tournaments in. He's due another win in the near future on current form.

slash

HCP
ear2ear
Local club/country
Canada
Irons
MP64 & MP R
Driver
™ SuperTri v2
It is tough watching former greats age.  What will LD do to climb back, if he does it will eclipse many who had already written him off nearing the end of his reign as #1.  

Tiger initially failed due to his inability to deal with adult issues as an adult and Luke while still interested in competing has far too many other interests.  Luke like Tiger is now past a major prime unless he finds a golf genie or the Masters is set up for the 1980's.  Luke sadly will not achieve his major bid, too bad.

Current 362   LW 351    Jan 2015 32    
    Tiger Woods certain to return.  Q, as Frankenstein or a zombie.

72           70                    33    
    Luke Donald impressive earnings $33,342,292 for a bunter.

RMM

HCP
Local club/country
Golf St. Apollinaire (France)
Irons
MP-68 DG-S300 3, Black Nickel 4 - PW / MP-T11 Black Nickel 50/52/54/56/58/60/64 / Bobby Grace Putter / Back-up irons: MP-60 2-P, MP-67 2-P
Driver
TSi2 10 Tensei blue/ 910F 15 Kai'li / 910F 19 Kai'li
Luke would certainly be a great contender on the seniors' tour, but he is still too young.

Mizuno has to add rather sooner than later another top player to its roster. Will they come up with some announcements in the coming months? 

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Wood now 52. Donald 72.

superhoop

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Time for Miz to ditch Luke until he reaches Seniors ? Sign someone else up and coming ? Who is available ? Who is affordable ?
Or stick with Luke through the thin years, however long they last ?

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
So. Chris Wood came third (and won a shed load of money) in SAfrica, and is now up to 46 in the world. Well done, mate.

Luke Donald didn't play (again), and is down to 74.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Opens up a whole new world of ranking events for Chris Wood.  Which means more world ranking points.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
A really good season for Chris Wood.He stayed clear of injury and managed to put together a series of good performances when it mattered. Looking forward to what he can do next season. Hopefully he can take this chance and push on even higher in the rankings. It'd be good to see him still comfortably inside the top 50 at the end of next season. It'll take some consistent play, but he can do it, as he has shown this past season.

As for Luke, I think it's too early to write him off, he's getting back to a bit of form IMO and I think that given a good start next season, he should make a move back up the rankings. He's too good not to. Given it's a Ryder Cup year, all the players will be desperate to make the Team at the end of August. Here's hoping Luke is back in it for the match on US soil.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
The problem with Luke (and the underlying theme to this thread), is that he doesn't play often enough to rise in the rankings. Until he does that, he's got an uphill struggle.

slash

HCP
ear2ear
Local club/country
Canada
Irons
MP64 & MP R
Driver
™ SuperTri v2
Luke Donald played himself into an early retirement by focusing on majors and missing the fact that time was ripping by him as is 98% of the field from the tee area forward and no teacher was going to give him enough yards to matter... he won in the past because of great touch, finesse and bulldoggedness.

He has lost his edge, he may still be a fighter but having crested the mountain he slipped and like many people didn't recognize it until too late.  The only glory left in him will be occasional weekends of incredible play with putts dropping from everywhere and none missing.

Look at Zak Johnson, another baby bunter who hasn't let his foot off the pedal.  LD has let outside business interests bungle up his professional golf compete, this along with keeping up with a young family has likely ended his time as a serious competitor.

superhoop

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Before the age of 40 Luke has been World #1 in his chosen profession, got a happy family life, started a wine business, and earned enough money to allow him to retire and live very comfortably for the rest of his days. I'd call that a success story - one that plenty of us would be happy to emulate in our own professions. Golf was his job, not his hobby.

Let him enjoy his life out of the spotlight, if that's what he wants.

MPB

HCP
Local club/country
JGE Dubai
I can't begin to tell you how many times I saw Chris Wood down at JGE's range, enormous putting green and the ETPI HQ in the off season. It looks like it is now starting to payoff for big Chris so good on him.

I even spent a few hours next to Dan H and his father on the range but DH seems to have disappeared..?! Lovely swing too :up:

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
superhoop said:
Before the age of 40 Luke has been World #1 in his chosen profession, got a happy family life, started a wine business, and earned enough money to allow him to retire and live very comfortably for the rest of his days. I'd call that a success story - one that plenty of us would be happy to emulate in our own professions. Golf was his job, not his hobby.

Let him enjoy his life out of the spotlight, if that's what he wants.
I agree. But I think that we all want him back in the limelight and winning things. That's the frustration for us bystanders.

Top Bottom