How did you do?

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
As it says in the title, how did all the Mizzy players get on this weekend? I've been reading a few have been struggling, anyone shoot a decent score?

I myself had a bit of a blow up! Fresh from my matchplay win with confidence high, I reached the 17th, which is a short reachable par 4. Green is hidden behind some oak trees and you need to hit a draw around them or go over.

I did a bit of both; went over with a draw but it should have been okay, just left of the green with a short up and down left. A playing partner goes even further left but should be fine. Anyway, we both walked up and find his ball first, mine nowhere to be seen, completey disappeared.

So back to the tee and I end with a double. Holed a nice par saved on 18 though but still gutted as it wasn't the result of a bad shot, I'd guess that someone picked my ball up but you can't see anything until you walk past the trees. Birdie / par finish would have won the medal and got me a 0.3 reduction in hcap :(

Share your good / bad luck stories!

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Oh brilliant you start this this weekend - the weekend of our Club Championship

Saturday - 90 - net 8 over (couldn't hit any iron at all and even shanked a chip sideways plus 3 shots OB)

Sunday - 86 - net 4 over (striking much better but missed FOUR putts under 3 feet and got wet a couple of times chasing)

It was windy both days but I played like a muppet. Probably all in my head as usual as my front nines were 41 and 39 respectively.

I had a good patch earlier in the summer but now I'm struggling. I'll give it a rest this week and regroup ready the lads golfing weekend away at the end of the month.

My plan for next season is to lose weight, get fitter, calm down and play better.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
I did Fantastic this weekend!!

I mended my hut roof (it had been leaking for ages!)

Sorted my hut out, and got all my tools in their proper place!

Painted the garden fence - a lovely Red Cedar Colour.

Sanded Down and Re-Stained Some of my house windows - they look so much better now.

Cut The Grass.

Trimmed my Fir Trees - man I didn't realise I had so many!!

Still haven't hit a ball in 10 days - and still don't want to!!! I seem to have lost that lovin feelin!!!

Hope it comes back soon - I'm Knackered!! :)

MizunoWI

HCP
Local club/country
Champions Golf Course
Irons
Mizuno MP-59 4-PW
Driver
Nike VR STR8 Fit Tour 9.5*
Im struggling a bit right now. Ive lately been working on fixing some of the flaws with my swing and its getting a lot better, but I still struggle with consistency. You guys know how it is when you make a swing change, it takes a while for it to become natural and its all too easy to fall back into your old, bad habits.
Yesterday I shot a 92 and today I shot a 95. If I could just manage to turn some of those 7s into 5s Id be fine.
Oh well, thats the way it goes sometimes.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno MP62 4-PW, Mizuno MP T5 52, 58 wedges
Driver
Ping G30 / Titleist 913 D2
Had a strange weekend, front 9 on Saturday I started with a double at the first (pushed tee shot and a 3 putt), but then had a magical run, went birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie, par, birdie, 5 under through 6 holes! then bogeyed 8 (par 3 missed green) and then doubled 9 (lost ball off tee). So was only level par round the front, despite 5 birdies, which is ridiculous. Back 9 was no good, so the round petered out to a 77.

I have a problem with going low, if I am under par I just have to give it back, it is just rubbish. I have shot under par on an 18 hole course twice in my life, but have been in a position to do it on many occasions and just lose my nerve.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
On a side note, Deemac, get back out on that course and face your demons. You ARE a single figure handicap golfer, get out there and golf your ball.

.. and above all else, never EVER forget it is just a game. :)

HCP
Local club/country
Ballybunion GC, Co. Kerry, Rep. Of Ireland
Irons
Mizuno MP-60 1.5" Long X-100 shafts
Driver
TM SLDR
Not too bad 78 - 8 = 70 and the CSS was 71. Threw away a few shots with a lost ball and a 3 putt on 15 but overall pretty happy given the windy conditions on the last 10 holes.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
db. said:
Had a strange weekend, front 9 on Saturday I started with a double at the first (pushed tee shot and a 3 putt), but then had a magical run, went birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie, par, birdie, 5 under through 6 holes! then bogeyed 8 (par 3 missed green) and then doubled 9 (lost ball off tee). So was only level par round the front, despite 5 birdies, which is ridiculous. Back 9 was no good, so the round petered out to a 77.

I have a problem with going low, if I am under par I just have to give it back, it is just rubbish. I have shot under par on an 18 hole course twice in my life, but have been in a position to do it on many occasions and just lose my nerve.
Cheers DB.

BTW - have you ever read anything by Bob Rotella? He talks at length about this very thing... He calls it "getting in your own way". He notes that after a skien of birdies, our inner sub-conscious tells us that we shouldn't be shooting low because we're just not that good a golfer and then we "get in our own way" by producing a string of poor holes to get our score back to where our sub-conscious tells us it should be.

It's interesting stuff...

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Deemac, I started reading a book by Dr Bob, but have not had the time to finish it, I never got to the part you mention.

It sounds very much like what happens to me though, if I have a good front 9 I invariably thrown it away on the back, or if I have a poor front 9 I usually turn it around and have a good back 9 lol. I still shoot my handicap regular enough. The times I have shot low I have somehow managed to get 'in the zone' and have not noticed until after the round, usually during a tough match.

HCP
Local club/country
Ireland
Irons
18° Mizuno Fli-Hi, 3-PW MP58, 52°&58° Mizuno MPT10 Wedges
Driver
9° Clevland Classic Driver (stiff), 3 Wood (15)° JPX 800 (stiff)
Deemac said:
Cheers DB.

BTW - have you ever read anything by Bob Rotella? He talks at length about this very thing... He calls it "getting in your own way". He notes that after a skien of birdies, our inner sub-conscious tells us that we shouldn't be shooting low because we're just not that good a golfer and then we "get in our own way" by producing a string of poor holes to get our score back to where our sub-conscious tells us it should be.

It's interesting stuff...
Which Dr Bob book does this appear in? I could do with a dose of this thinking. After reading his book Putting out of your mind, my putting has improved 10 fold without actually increasing practice.

In Dr Bob I believe :)

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Was press-ganged into playing the club tri-am today, I haven't hit a ball in over a fortnight (by choice I might add).

I was pleasantly surprised by how I played. Not the greatest of scoring days, but I hit the ball reasonably solidly. Nearly bagged a hole in one (one more turn and it was in) - 178 yards with a sweet 6-iron.

I wouldn't say that golf and I are sleeping together again just yet, but there's deffinitely a spark of love still there...

D.

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
That's good to hear Deemac, sounds like the break has rid you of those faults you had before, I think you're back on the horse now!

SimonS

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.crailgolfingsociety.co.uk/
Irons
Miura PP-9003
Driver
JPX-EX 10.5 reg
I played against a friend at Balbirnie today. It was the first time that I have managed to shoot under my handicap.

Well chuffed tonight.

Dave Lyall

HCP
Local club/country
Kirriemuir Golf Club, Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-Pw, Black Ox Wedges,52,54 & 56, Titleist 985 19 Stiff Hybrid,Cleveland Hi Bore 17 Stiff Hybrid
Driver
Titleist 909D2,9.5 Degree, Stiff Aldila Voodoo Shaft
Stick with it Deemac,a player of your standard can beat the gremlins into submission no problem.
Know exactly how you feel in your previous post,lack of confidence etc.
Have had same thing this season and after all the practice,working on swing plane,alignment,grip blah blah blah,have now realised all my anxieties were making me swing far too fast.I think because I wasn't playing to my abilities I was just hitting the ball to "get it over with" so to speak.
Went out for a few holes a couple of nights after work and just thought "get back to your roots",and started hitting the ball better than I had for about 2 years.
The result of this was a 74 on Saturday,6 over par,and the only downside to this was four three putts otherwise could have been really decent.Managed 4 birdies in amongst this with several other chances slipping by,and these weren't the 3 putt holes.Bad day with the short stick but happy as Larry with the rest.
As previous post said it is a game at the end of the day and my approach now is to set the pre-shot routine,step up and play golf with no other thought than sticking it down the pin.
Glad to see you're back though Deemac,I am sure it will all come flooding back as easily as it left,and once more you'll be kickin the heels waiting for the next comp.

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver
Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff
My last 4 rounds have looked like this. 87, 74, 84, 76. WTF?? Had it going great on the weekend, turned at even par, then the wheels came off. Just sloppy bogeys, a ball OOB, another in a hazard. Finished +7, very ordinary. Irons are giving me problems, but its not the mizzys. I cant keep my right elbow against my body resulting in either a pull, or a pull hook. Short irons are fine, but I get a 6-7i in my hands and Im toast. Worked on it yesterday. A round tomorrow will see if I took anything away from the practice session.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Dave Lyall said:
Glad to see you're back though Deemac,I am sure it will all come flooding back as easily as it left,and once more you'll be kickin the heels waiting for the next comp.
Cheers Dave!! Good to see you're doing well presently too...

D.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Played poorly today and lost in the semi final of our u12 handicap knockout. Was down dormie 5, but birdied 14 & 15, and parred the tough 16th to take it to the 17th, parred 17 but lost 2&1. Knocked it on the par 5 18th in two and left the eagle putt an inch short, so finished well, but started terribly and it cost me.

Jens0n

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
JPX 921 Forged
This weekend was our club Scratch Matchplay Championship that I had qualified for 2 weeks ago.

Sat morning beat a set of Titleists, 8&7, Sat afternoon beat a set of TM's on the 2nd extra hole, Sun morning beat a set of Ping i15's on the 2nd extra playoff hole - SI2, with a birdie ;)

but...

in an all Mizuno final ....

Lost on 18th Sunday afternoon to a set of MP57's, little dissapointed but couldn't want to loose to a nicer set of clubs :)

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Jens0n said:
This weekend was our club Scratch Matchplay Championship that I had qualified for 2 weeks ago.

Sat morning beat a set of Titleists, 8&7, Sat afternoon beat a set of TM's on the 2nd extra hole, Sun morning beat a set of Ping i15's on the 2nd extra playoff hole - SI2, with a birdie ;)

but...

in an all Mizuno final ....

Lost on 18th Sunday afternoon to a set of MP57's, little dissapointed but couldn't want to loose to a nicer set of clubs :)
Like It!!!!!! :)

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Just played in a surprise pro am.

I went down to my course for a casual round on my own and found to my surprise that the course had been taken over by a North Wales pro am series - well it turns out there was a spot open - bonus.

I played ok - probably to my handicap - first time in a while. The pro that was with us (who'd played previously on challenge tours) shot around par in difficult rainy conditions - mp68s. It was a pleasure to play with someone who knows what they're doing - even if he wasn't at his very best. Good company all round in the fourball. So often this is the way when you're partnered with strangers in this way.

Top Bottom