HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
919 Tours strike again!!! You must have lost a good shot there well done !!!
The irons just inspire total confidence. It’s been magnified with the Titleist driver being like a laser guided missile launcher 💪🏽

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
The irons just inspire total confidence. It’s been magnified with the Titleist driver being like a laser guided missile launcher 💪🏽
Definitely find the 919 Tours more workable than 900 Tour and TS3 is a bit of a joke how good it actually is, reminds me of when the 983k first came out its like cheating! Always nice to be happy with equipment :)

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Definitely find the 919 Tours more workable than 900 Tour and TS3 is a bit of a joke how good it actually is, reminds me of when the 983k first came out its like cheating! Always nice to be happy with equipment :)
Funnily.... I’m actually gaming a 917 D2!!!!

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Get all in on the TS3 you'll thank me for it!
That's what I thought, but the TS2 was better for me - I went from 917 D2 & the TS2 is way better ...

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
That's what I thought, but the TS2 was better for me - I went from 917 D2 & the TS2 is way better ...
It's not so much you'll gain 25 yards, I only gained between 8 to 12 yards it's the flight you can get particularly into the wind and also how easy it is to shape the ball. Definitely technology wise quite amazing!

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Managed to get out on the course yesterday and played the first 12 holes of my home course,
I haven't played for a while due to my on going arthritic and joint problems so I wasn't expecting too much so my expectations were on the low side,
It was also my first chance to try out my JPX900 Hot Metal irons that I've had re-shafted with new Project X LZ A-flex Graphite shafts and on top of that I've recently also picked up a new ST180 HL 10.5deg driver head as well so I got to kill two birds with one stone ..!,

The course was in pretty good condition considering the crap weather we've been having of late all credit to our hard working green keeper and his ground staff, of the 12 holes only three were in their temporary positions due to on going drainage work that's being done and there were also a couple of temporary tee's in operation so the course wasn't playing its full length but none the less still presented a challenge as you only get what you can hit in carry distance...! you just don't get any run on this course as its parkland and very soft ground,

Started off with a nice drive down the first that just caught the edge of the right rough then hit a six iron to just short of the green pitched on and sunk the put for a opening par 4 that really set the tone for the rest of the holes from there on I had six more pars one birdie and four bogeys my total score for the twelve holes was 48 strokes I just couldn't quite believe it..!

As for the new shafts I'm very much impressed with them I found them easy to swing they feel so smooth and give plenty of feed back and the ball just flies of the face with a nice mid/high ball flight, same can be said of the ST180 driver it performed really well, I had it set at 11.5 deg that gave a nice high straight ball flight just what I was looking for my longest drive of the day had an in the air carry distance of 215 yards, that's not bad considering that I only had the opportunity to hit 5 drives with it so I'm confident I can get more distance out of it once I've had a chance to play and adjust it a bit more..!

Cheers John

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I have the same shaft and flex in my 900 Hot Metal irons and regardless how little I've been able to play recently, I definitely know I love these shafts. You're going to love them.

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
I have the same shaft and flex in my 900 Hot Metal irons and regardless how little I've been able to play recently, I definitely know I love these shafts. You're going to love them.
Hi Dennis,

I couldn't agree more Dennis,

So far i'm very impressed think I've defiantly made the correct decision having the A-flex graphite shafts fitted to my irons,
I also made a change with my driver shaft I usually play a regular flex shaft but I've recently bought a replacement Tensei CK Blue Series 50 A-flex (senior) shaft for that and that's working out to be a much better performing shaft for me..

Cheers John

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Been a while since I posted here! - Today was my first game for 2 weeks :eek: - Those who know me will appreciate that is a long time away for me, but after a weeks disruption for snow, I picked up a nasty cold & today was the first time even I felt like playing - I had been to the range of course, but that doesn't count!
So I booked in with two of the "early birds" at Guildford & teed off just after 8am - I was trying my newly acquired JPX900T's & it took a few holes before I hit one anything decent - I blobbed the 1st & bogeyed the 2nd, but after a good par on 3rd I hit a LW stiff at the 4th for a birdie - Steady from then on until the Par 5 8th where I hit the LW into the hole from about 65y for eagle! - Back 9 was solid apart from another blob on 12th after getting plugged in face of the bunker - I did have another birdie on 15th & by then was hitting the 900T's very well - They have S300 AMT shafts fitted which I have never used before, but really like the trajectory & short iron control they give me
Cheers ... Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
OK Pablo - Would you please translate that into some form of the English that a dumb old colonialist like me can understand? Blobbed??? And it sounds like you should have your lob wedge plated in 24 caret gold.

For that matter gentlemen and ladies, would someone fill me in on how you count points? Obviously it's some form of stableford like we played in Jamaica with 1 point for a bogey, 2 for a par, 3 for a birdie, 4 for an eagle, or variations like 1-3-5-7 instead. A lot of you tend to relate how you did by saying you scored however many points, not however many strokes. Is there a consistent point assignment you tend use across the pond, so 40 points to one of you directly relates to how anyone else would count. I presume there's a net/gross element to counting points too, right?

Anyway, with my Orthopedist's permission and warnings to behave myself, I played 9 this morning. It wasn't great because I still don't know how far I hit each club, but I loved the fact my misses were pretty much all long or short, not off to one side. I guess the fact is, I'm managing to hit the ball solidly, but not with consistent effort.

All the same, for the few games back since this whole carpel tunnel and shoulder surgery thing, I truly appreciate what this silly game means to me. At nearly 70, I'm nowhere ready to give it up, but at the same time, I'm so thrilled to be playing at all that beating the golf course into submission is no longer anywhere on my mind.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Hi Dennis ... Good to hear you are back swinging again - For the record a "blob" is the term we use over here for not scoring any points on a hole in stableford format - I'll try to keep to the Queens English in future ;)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
So a blob could be anything ugly like a double, a triple or even the dreaded snowman... Gotcha... Among my Monday group, they do tend to keep score and it's not uncommon for someone who played a hole terribly, when asked what their score was, to reply they made a "Wait a minute..." When you played a hole badly enough that you have to stop and point to where you hit successive shots from, it's a "Wait a minute..."

Do you usually play a stableford with a 1-2-3 point system, or something with 2 point differences between pars, birdies, eagles etc.?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Stableford scores (ignoring handicap allowance) here would be 1pt for a bogey / 2pts for a par / 3pts for a birdie / 4pts for an eagle / 5pts for an albatross (or double-eagle) and of course 0pts for the dreaded "blob" ...
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Perfect... Now I can relate my scores to the forum in points.

BTW - I actually made an albatross. It was in 1978 on the par 5 second hole at Caymanas Golf Club in Spanishtown, Jamaica. It was just a low net/low gross tournament during golf week. I hit the ball over the corner of some trees, a point where I couldn't actually see the pin and my late friend Ian Brown started jumping up and down yelling to me that it had gone in the hole.

At that point, he and the other guys begged me to take my game seriously that day instead of just banging it around. I went on to shoot 66 and set the members' course record that stood until about 3 years ago.

Here's the punchline... When we were all sitting around having drinks and waiting for the prize giving, some guys came to me and asked me to take the net prize instead of the gross. If I had taken the gross, the winner of the net prize would have been this real jerk who nobody liked, so I let them convince me and someone who shot 77 won the gross.

I went back the next day and with the same clubs, same caddie, same playing partners, I shot 82.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
And according to the Stableford points you mentioned, I would have only had 11 points yesterday on the 9 holes I played... gross...

(EDIT) That's gross in more ways than one...

Last edited:

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
And according to the Stableford points you mentioned, I would have only had 11 points yesterday on the 9 holes I played... gross...
What I like about the stableford points system used here is that if you play to handicap you should score 36pts
Loved your story about your albatross! - I've had a couple also, most notably on the first hole I ever played at the course where I learned to play in Northern Ireland - In those days it was a Par 5 (now plays as a long Par 4) - The first time I played it I took 17 shots to reach the green & 11 putts :eek: - Mind you, I was only 4 years old! - When I was in my 20's I played the hole with my brother & holed my 6 iron 2nd shot for an albatross ...
Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Dennis, good to hear you're up and about again!

I've understood people in the States tend to call all sorts of points games Stableford but it is defined in the rules and other points formats are just other kinds of points games. https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-21#21-1

In the EGA and CONGU systems our handicaps are based off Stableford where the fixed target score is net double bogey. Thus a net par is 2 points and playing to your handicap will result in 36 points.

The World Handicap System, which will come into effect next year will be using the new maximum score stroke play to count handicaps. Again, the maximum score will be net double bogey. I find it interesting they introduced such a format when Stableford was doing just fine. Next year people will be looking at two stroke scores as opposed to a stroke and a points score or might even confuse the two scores in a competition.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Not that I care to ever play in tournaments again, but I think I'm going to look for some sort of online handicap service. I'll probably play 80% of my golf at Killian Greens, but using the slope from wherever I play, I can develop a reasonable handicap and calculate net points.

It's amazing how scientific it's become. When my father worked with the handicap committee at the country club I grew up at, they just took the average over par and subtracted 1. So, if you played a bunch of rounds and you average amount over par was 12, you would be assigned an 11 handicap. It seemed so workable at the time...

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Not that I care to ever play in tournaments again, but I think I'm going to look for some sort of online handicap service. I'll probably play 80% of my golf at Killian Greens, but using the slope from wherever I play, I can develop a reasonable handicap and calculate net points.

It's amazing how scientific it's become. When my father worked with the handicap committee at the country club I grew up at, they just took the average over par and subtracted 1. So, if you played a bunch of rounds and you average amount over par was 12, you would be assigned an 11 handicap. It seemed so workable at the time...
It is interesting how complex the very simple game has become. Whether it's the equipment, clubs, shafts, balls, swing technique and teaching, handicapping system with the course rating manuals and whatnot, the rules and so forth. All around a silly game in which you try to play a ball into hole with as few strokes as possible or with fewer strokes than your opponent.

Top Bottom