How did you do?

chrism_s

HCP
Local club/country
Brookmans Park GC, Herts
Irons
MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3 & 4 | JPX 919 Tour 5-PW | S18 49/06 54/12 58/08 | KBS Tour X Stiff
Driver
TaylorMade M1 (2016) - Fujikura Pro 71 XLR8 Tour X
33 points on the weekend, out in 19 but it should have been 21, lost a ball on the 9th which landed in the open but was nowhere to be found, causing a blob.
Coming back was a bit scruffier, not maintaining focus as much as I should be, but getting much more consistent, only 1 lost ball (and that shouldn't have been lost)!

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Did play several times since I was last able to log on, so lucky you! - Today (Mon) I needed to get back early afternoon, so teed off at 8am in a fourball - This group play early on days when our rollup is on & there was a match on too, so nice to play ahead of what would have been very slow going - It was also nice to play off the back tees (rollups are off the yellows) & I hit the ball very well for the majority of the round - 3x birdies (including a kick in at the last) 2x bogies & the rest pars for 1 over par / 40pts - My partner wasn't quite up to my standard so we won the front 9 & match but lost the back 9 - Playing in a match at Waterlooville tomorrow & be happy to play half as well as I managed today ...
Actually I played nearly as well today (Tues) - Sadly giving 21 shots :eek: to one of our opponents proved a bit too taxing & we lost our 4BBB match on the 17th ...
Paul ;)

Last edited:

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I spent this week as an assisting rules official in a Finnish Tour event nearby. Mizuno staffer Kim Koivu won the event quite easily. We had a chance to play the course later in the evening and it was a blast. Kim said the greens were up to par with the Challenge Tour greens, even comparable to some lower-level European Tour events. a couple of the LET players said the hole locations were difficult.

The fun started on the practice putting green. I casually dropped a ball on the green to start my practice. Guess what? The ball rolled off the green. :D It was a good indication of what was coming. I've never played on as slick greens as today and when I've played on faster greens, those have been set for more casual play. Tough pin locations on those greens were something else. I only started to get the hang of it on the 7th, from which on I made pars and bogeys to the finish with two blobs. Before that it was four putts and whatnot. :D

After having watched the pros and aspiring pros hitting massive drives and irons, I was delighted to find out the fairways were hard and with wind behind your back, even I could drive the ball 280 meters at best. On one par 5, I hit a slightly weak fade but it went around 265 meters and then hit the 3 iron around 215 meters, or 25 meters more I'd expect to hit off the tee, just short of the green and opted for the 4 iron from 200 meters out on one long par 4 (rolled over the green) and a par 5 (missed left).

I'd like to give it another go in the same conditions!

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I got the 917 4 wood today. I couldn't hit it to save my life! :(

I demoed my friend's 917 5 wood on the range before the season started and it was great, then I demoed the 4 wood out on the course on two different occasions and it performed very well for me. Today I hit 1 good shot, 2 decent ones and 10 bad ones with it. :(

Now, how about that ST-180? There would've actually been a Mizuno demo day at our club on Monday but I didn't have a clue nor would I have had a chance to attend anyway. :(

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Golf has been a bit lacking of late mainly due to the heat - I played one day last week & almost passed out near the end of the round (it was 30*) - Anyway, maybe the rest has done me some good - I played in a club match today (4BBB) giving my partner 10 shots & the opposition 8 & 12 - It was hot (@ 26*) but there was a nice breeze to keep us cool - We fell behind early in the match as we were hit with a two hole burst of birdie (net eagle) / gross eagle! - We were 1 down at the turn & lost the 10th - But I holed from off the green on the next for birdie & my partner won the next two holes with net birdies - I then had a birdie on the 14th (to get a half) & my partner won the 15th & 16th to win the match 3&2 - The 17th at Guildford is usually drive / 6 iron, but down-wind today I was only hitting 9 iron & just missed my birdie - 18th was also down-wind & I had a 50y pitch for my approach & holed the putt for another birdie
Paul

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Egersund Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
St200 driver, MP650 3 wood, JPX 800, hybrid,
Played saturday. . Not to bad the found I had 15 clubs in my bag, DQ`d myself. playing partners could not understand a player DQ himself,,,

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Played the last two days despite the heat! (makes a change from whinging about the rain!) - Yesterday was a club match at West Byfleet GC - Lovely course in great condition, but a bit on the tight side for me & I spent quite a bit of the round manufacturing shots from under trees - My partner & I played well enough to get a half, but again it was over 30* & much to hot for my pasty Irish complexion ...
I was committed to play again today, this time at New Forest (a reunion for those who have played in the rollup I play in on Saturday there) otherwise I would have given golf a miss - Anyway, "only" 30* but thankfully there was a breeze which made it just about bearable - The New Forest course is, to be polite, "bare as a badgers behind!" - If you catch a drive on a down-breeze hole, as I did on 17, the ball goes miles! - I could actually see the flag for my 2nd shot & worked out my drive had gone 331y :eek: - I played ok in the conditions (36pts) but was well behind the winner on 42pts ...
Paul

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Scratch Matchplay Semi Final today..... birdies on the 18th never lose matches ;););)

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
For a moment yesterday it looked like I could actually play golf when I made four birdies in a five-hole stretch, birdie, birdie, bogey, birdie, birdie. There were two short par 4s and two par 5s, the second bird was a tap-in from less than an inch. I don't know how the ball managed to behind the hole

Even so, I only managed an 83 as I really struggled with my irons hooking the heck out of them most of the time (didn't hit a single par 3 green).

Next up is my first ever gig as a rules official assigned to a group for the final day of our national stroke play championships on Saturday.

chrism_s

HCP
Local club/country
Brookmans Park GC, Herts
Irons
MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3 & 4 | JPX 919 Tour 5-PW | S18 49/06 54/12 58/08 | KBS Tour X Stiff
Driver
TaylorMade M1 (2016) - Fujikura Pro 71 XLR8 Tour X
Little 12 hole friendly last night, started poorly but finished with 4 pars in a row including SI 1, so very happy with that. Putting lesson last week really has made a difference and I may (May) have found a cure for my chipping ills.Only blemishes were some poor tee shots, something that hasn't been happening recently so put that down to a day sitting at a desk before starting work. Onwards!

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Ended up playing an evening round with a friend, I won the match 7&6.

Otherwise the round was a carbon copy of yesterday, great drives, good putting and decent wedges but the irons were left or left of left Yesterday I was +2 after 11, today I was +3 but ended up +12 and +11 respectively as the course and recovery shots get more challenging towards the end. Oh well.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Finished last week off at New Forest on Saturday - Still no sign of rain in the South (nearly 2 months now!) so the course was running fast, but the greens have been left with a bit more grass on them than usual & are in decent shape - I had my best ever driving average (on Game Golf) 282y though only one drive over 300y - The rest of my game wasn't too shabby either, so I ended up going round in level par including 5x birdies - My 42pts still didn't win as one of the high 'cappers had one point more - Weather is going to be hot all this week too, so my pairs comp on Tuesday will probably be my only game until the weekend (if it cools down by then?)

Tuesday was our Summer Meeting @ Guildford - Pairs are drawn & there was bit bit of murmuring when I got drawn with one of the lower handicap players (10hcp) - It was always going to be the case that we would either shoot the lights out, or play like a couple of hackers - Fortunately it was the former & I had one of my best rounds ever at Guildford - Worth BIM, as a Senior event, play was from the yellow tees & like the rest of the country, the fairways are like runways (if you hit them of course!) - I started with a huge drive up the first & hit SW to 10' (two putted) - But I birdied the next three holes, including the Par 5 3rd which I was on in two shots for the first time ever! - I was also on the Par 5 8th in two & just missed eagle - So I was 3 under at the turn & our team score was a healthy 24pts - Not quite so good for me on the back 9 with one birdie on 12th & one dropped shot on 15th - That was particularly annoying as I hit my longest ever drive at Guildford there (342y) but had to hit a low chip under some branches & three putted - We finished with another 24pts on the back 9 & our 48pts was only bettered by one pair on 49pts - No sign of it cooling down, in fact it is getting hotter, so may wait until the weekend to play again?

These hot conditions are crazy! - I played a friendly at Guildford today (teed off early to try & avoid the heat) - After setting my longest ever drive there on Tuesday (342y on 15th) I beat that again today on the same hole (350y) but went even further on the Par 5 8th with a 360y drive :eek: - SW to the green! - My game was a bit off after Tuesday's heroics but despite a couple of double bogeys, I still managed to get round in 3 over

Paul

Last edited:

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Found a new form of exercise yesterday .... Hot Golf, it's a bit like Hot Yoga in that it takes place in hot & humid conditions. I don't think I've ever been out on the course in conditions as hot as that before. Ideal conditions for sporting a "two tone" polo shirt
;-) Must remember to wear a white polo shirt next time. Grey isn't the colour for those conditions. As for the golf, well, first game in a month, so, it was a bit rusty.putting was good but, driving was a bit off today. I blamed the heat ?

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Played in the 2018 Ayrshire Seniors Championship on Tuesday the 17th July at my home club of Caprington who were hosts for the competition, enjoyed the company of my playing partners for the day the weather was great and the course was in superb condition all credit to our hard working green staff,
My golf wasn’t at its best I could and should have played better but you get what you get on the day finished with a gross 91 nett 72 for third place in the over 70s category winning score in this category was a gross 95 nett 70 there was an entry of 85 golfers taking part from the various Ayrshire golf clubs and I finished in 35th place overall with a voucher for £20 so all in all a most enjoyable day.

PS., The overall winner was in the first game out that teed off at start of play 8 am playing off 12 handicap he shot a gross 72 for a winning score of nett 60...!

John :)

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
35 points but no stroke play score. We've taken up evening rounds, teeing off before 7 PM and finishing around 10 PM. with the heat wave, the evening rounds are a lot more pleasant

Again, I was +2 after 12, that +2 included two three-putts and a tee shot that sailed OB but the 13th proved disastrous. A smooth slice OB despite strong winds pushing the ball towards the course and then lost a ball on the fourth stroke on the par 5 despite seeing it land. I did rebound after a terrible 14th (and closed out the match 5&4) to finish quite well though. I lost the previous match on the 18th green and I'm behind 5-2 in our season series.

I'm playing the best golf this year but some wheel tends to fall off each and every round. Earlier on it was my wedges with the hosel rockets, then the hooky irons and now it seems like it's a couple of questionable drives and being slightly off with the putter on the first putts.

Maybe next time! Hope you're all doing well!

Last edited:

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Inching closer to greatness in melting heat. +10 and 36 points today. One birdie, two double bogeys and a triple. The back 9 was +4 with that triple bogey. Hopefully I can keep this going (and drop a blob or two from the score card) for the Club Championships in a couple of weeks. Traditionally I'll break my all-time personal best score a week before and then fall apart in the tournament, the tradition is already two years old!

I've never played golf in such hot conditions. We've had temperatures north of 30ºC for a while now but today it was 32º and we teed off about 30 minutes late due to a thunderstorm rolling over us. There was just no way to keep your hands, gloves or grips dry.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
It's me again. I started practicing for the Club Championships, which are a week and a half away and played the easier course at our club from the back tees. I was +5 after 15 holes but finished the round going triple, double, bogey for a smooth +11, 36 points.

Getting there but not quite where I'd like to be yet.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
First game of the week today (Wed) as I have the builders in at home - Played a relaxed friendly knock at New Forest - Haven't uploaded my round yet but it will be a good one! - After a 3 jab on 1st I birdied the 2nd & 3rd - That was a bit of a theme today (back to back birdies) as I birdied the 9th & 10th and finished the round with birdies on 17th & 18th - Admittedly 4 of those birdies were on Par 5's but I was only on two of them on two - I got up & down on one from green-side bunker & hit a SW close from 60y on another - Shame I can't find this sort of form with a card in my pocket ;)
Paul

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
9 holes today as a bit of practice with the pro at our place. Lost 1up on the last shooting -1 gross ?

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Went for 9 holes after work today to give the new clubs their first serious workout. Played reasonably well overall and somehow managed to scramble 20 points for the 9 holes. Greens were slow after recent rain, so putting was a case of picking the line and a firm stroke. Holed a fair few using this method. New irons were very impressive. Good ball flight and, for me, good distance. New driver behaved and I hit most of the fairways. Only one bad hole where I ran up a 7, but, at least I holed a good putt for that 7 ;) good to get out and experiment, looking forward to a fair bit of golf over the next month, so need the practice.

Top Bottom