Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Not unlike DCB, I had my first outdoor range session today!

As you can see from the picture, the start of the season is nearly here! :D

Obviously they had ploughed and sanded the range so that all the snow had melted but there was a a centimeter of sand even on the few range mats they had laid out (or were purposefully left behind from last year). You also need to pick your own balls and clean them.

Needless to say, all built-up dreams of demolishing course records were quickly destroyed with the first couple of swings. After a bit of work, then losing it again and figuring things out for the second time, the swing started to be playable again.

The 850 hybrid was pure gold once again from start to finish whereas I could hit some good shots with the 650 5 wood only towards the end of the session.

The wedges were one big nightmare again though. I'd need a center-shafted model to avoid wearing out the hosel. :D

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Bonobobananas said:
Haha I don’t know how you manage chap but it always looks beautiful :)
It has been very beautiful over here this year. I manage by rambling on about things over here and like I said, this year has been fantastic. A week ago I was still hoping to get out there to (cross country) ski, and now I'm looking forward to going to the range again. For a month now the weather forecasts have been suggesting our home course would open on the 21st for and everything is still looking good for that. Now I have a week to work on my swing on the range to be ready for the season.

Also, one key to surviving the winter is playing plenty of golf in the summer, playing maybe 80 rounds from mid-April to mid-November and with the conditions, chances to play and your swing getting worse as the autumn progresses, you kind of start to feel you've had enough of golf for a while. Once the season ends, the holidays are around the corner and it's easily February when you really start missing the game again. The second key is having some other great pastime to keep you occupied. Something you're passionate about, like skiing has been for me.this year.

Hitting the gym day in and day out  when I can't do any "winter things" doesn't give me the same mental escape. Gym doesn't offer me much beyond seeing if I can add weight to my bench press or in a couple of other exercises but 80% of it is to simply about getting stronger or better at golf whereas skiing is fun on it's own and only when I do get exhausted that I start convincing myself it'll somehow help me on the golf course in the summer.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I was very disappointed not to be fit to play at the Frilford Heath Forum event organised by Chris at the weekend - My back just wouldn't have survived the drive there / 27 holes / & the drive home ...
After a gentle range session on Monday I decided I would risk playing with my new "girlie" swing on Tuesday & you all know the old adage "beware the injured golfer"! - Guildford was still very wet, but only the 17th green was out of play (& has been all winter after the greenstaff managed to kill it!) - My rollup handicap went up to 3 last time out, so my expectations were pretty low - However, I started with a good par up the 1st but then bogeyed the 2nd (which is SI 18 - doh!) but then birdied the Par 5 3rd & went one better on 4th when I drove the green & rolled the putt in for eagle! - No more heroics after that, just tapped the driver down the middle & pretty much parred my way home - 38pts which was joint winner on the day (cut to 1 next time out!)
Paul

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Finally a bit of sunshine and with no Easterly breeze it was actually fairly warm. Went for 9 holes with Mrs DCB at one of our local municipal  courses. There was still some surface water evident in places and some of the tees were a bit squelchy, but, overall it was just good to get out on the course at last. I gradually loosened up, but, overall I wa quite happy with the way I hit the ball. Played just over handicap, but, after opening with an 8, I was more than happy with the way I scrambled and putted to maintain a bit of dignity ;)

I need to get out and find my swing again as it has gone awol over the winter. I can't feel where my backswing is and have no idea how long the backswing is or how  I am getting the club back down to the ball. Bit like the first time I tried after my accident. Need to get this grooved and then trust myself. 

Chipping and putting were great today, the mind seems to be able to control the body to keep the short game reasonable. Maybe I'll just putt my way round in future :)

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
My new "girlie" swing seems to be working! - Played at New Forest on Saturday off club handicap of 5 - Got off to the perfect start hitting the pin on the 1st with my pitch shot & leaving a tap in for birdie - Steady from there until Par 3 6th where I tried to hit a choke down 5 wood & snap hooked it into the boondocks! - No score there - Another nice pitch on Par 5 9th & another birdie - 18pts on front - Final birdie of the day on 12th where I drove the green & 2 putted - My only bogey on the back 9 was on 18th where I thinned my sand wedge & failed to get up & down - This was costly, as the extra point would have tied the best score (39pts) & I would have won on countback (doh!) - Still, nice not to be wading around & play in shirt sleeves for the first time this year ...
Paul 

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
No golf yet but we had a rules officials' meeting yesterday. To my surprise we had a rules exam and I wasn't prepared for one as my previous exam results were good for another year. We got the results today and I did score 99/100 points, which means I gave the correct rulings (possible penalties, correct information on how the players should proceed etc.) but based one of the rulings on a wrong rule.

There were three guys who scored a perfect 100 and they've all been through the TARS training at The Royal and Ancient and have worked abroad. Maybe I should start packing my bags.:D

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
A nice 2 & 1 victory in my 4 ball better ball match v Hawkstone Park yesterday.Started by hitting it well but faded a bit towards the end and my 14 hcp partner sank a couple of important puts to get us out of trouble at times.Team won 5-1 and 18 holes up.

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
Midweek 12 hole stableford and hit it pretty well for 23 pts .Left at least 6 shots out there that i can easily recall.Onto the weekend

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
A nice start to a day off, so, the golf course was calling.. Bright and breezy conditions, but played some really good golf in the conditions. Portobello 9 hole course has dried out nicely over the past couple of weeks. Fairways nicely cut today, greens a bit slow, but you can't have it all  Slower greens made putting a lot easier, pick a line and make sure you hit the ball. I put the MP64 8-SW in the bag today and what a difference they make to the short game. Much more control over the ball and able to fashion shots a lot easier than with the EZs, Decision will need to be made before the Northern Forum event as to what the bag will contain. Drove the ball well (for me) today, hitting it straight and getting good run out on the fairways. My new 7 w is turning into a "go to" club for all sorts of shots,  but, makes fairway shots a lot easier. Not long, but, again in the fairway most of the time. With another couple of weeks to go before the 5th Major, I've got a bit more time to practice, but, game is starting to look in good shape for the event. Happy bunny today.

Attachments

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Just a 2nd place in the monthly midweek medal... and the lowest overall gross :D

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
First round of the season, 98 strokes and 21 points. :D

Short game was atrocious but that's kind of expected with no practice off actual grass and the course being very soft. I didn't have a clue of how far I'd the wedges either if I did hit them well. The same problems were there with the irons also.

Putting was also quite difficult due to how slow the greens were, combined with my heavy counter-balanced putter, I simply couldn't make me hit the putts hard enough.

Despite all the struggles, I can't wait to get out there again! :)

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Craigmiller Park in Edinburgh
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
Halebopp said:
First round of the season, 98 strokes and 21 points. :D

Short game was atrocious but that's kind of expected with no practice off actual grass and the course being very soft. I didn't have a clue of how far I'd the wedges either if I did hit them well. The same problems were there with the irons also.

Putting was also quite difficult due to how slow the greens were, combined with my heavy counter-balanced putter, I simply couldn't make me hit the putts hard enough.

Despite all the struggles, I can't wait to get out there again! :)
I love your attitude Halebopp!

I had a good game and nearly beat my best score on Craigielaw, but then again the rough is still hiding..

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Back on the senior match circuit today with a home match - 4BBB format with my partner getting 18 shots & the opposition getting 15 & 12 - Very steady start for me with 7 pars in a row followed by an eagle on Par 5 8th after I putted in from just off the green - After pars on next 3 holes, I then birdied the 12th to stand 3 under par - Awful tee shot on 13th & 3 putts on 14th so bogies on both, but after a big drive & wedge on 15th I rolled the putt in for birdie to get the wheels back on - Bit of a 'mare on 16th & a double there, but pars on last two holes & level par for the round - Result of our match was a half :eek:
Paul

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Egersund Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
St200 driver, MP650 3 wood, JPX 800, hybrid,
Out today for the 2nd time this year, very happy with my game today , only missed 4 fairways  driving, just sneaked on to the 2nd cut, putted well,  shot 82.on par 70. 35 points, not to shabby 

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Egersund Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
St200 driver, MP650 3 wood, JPX 800, hybrid,
Out today for the 2nd time this year, very happy with my game today , only missed 4 fairways  driving, just sneaked on to the 2nd cut, putted well,  shot 82.on par 70. 35 points, not to shabby 

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Yesterday was the Woodhall Spa Trophy 36 Hole Medal Open for single figure handicap golfers. Teeing off at 10:10 on the Hotchkin course I was greeted on the tee by horizontal rain and 25mph winds. After toughing out a +6 front nine (8 shots better than both playing partners), I eventually succumbed to the horrendous weather and went triple,double on 15/16 that put me at +7 nett for the first round and 22nd place overall
The start of the second round played on the Bracken course at 15:20 was a complete contrast sky wise!!! Brilliant sunshine but still the now stiffening to 25mph winds. 41 (+5) gross out and a 40 (+4) gross back nine complete with triple bogey 8 on a par 5 when I got a plugged lie up against the foot of the bunker face. The nett 75 from that round and the nett 80 from the first round meant I ground out a top 10 finish (9th overall nett, 15th overall gross).

the conditions were brutal. 
1st round: 7,000yds, par 73, CSS 77
2nd round: 6,500yds, par 72, CSS 75 (R/O)!!!

gutted I missed buffer in round 1 but more importantly I know I left 5-6 clear shots out there where a bad decision or a big dose of bad luck cost me dearly. Take those off and I’m in the prizes and 3rd overall.

roll on Ramside

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
Golf season kicking off now.

Played hayston on Sunday, low 80s and most things worked except driver.
Got turnberry on SundayThen mizuno northern next Friday SaturdayThen ladybank on the Sunday.

Going to be shattered..

Fingers crossed for decent weather.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
The Monday round was completely forgettable but today started to resemble golf again. I lost the match 4&2 on the way to 89 shots and 29 points (or so). I just dug a hole on the first four holes going +8.

The best part was getting rid of almost all fat shots off the fairway and the drives were good after the sloppy start. Putting still needs work though.

Next up is a refereeing a junior tournament at our club on Saturday. It'll be interesting to see how many complaints there will be about the hole locations I chose today. :D

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Gross 75 at Doncaster today in the open. Nett 69 so level par....

I'm feeling in good nick heading to ramside

Top Bottom