How did you do?

mizgolf

Local club/country
UK
playing in mizuno pairs tourney. Playing first thing in morning - They say to come an hour before time to 'register'. I'm a turn up and play guy are they strict on this? It's early enough as it is lol

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Pretty sad week for me in some ways, as after over 20yrs I have decided to leave Guildford GC & join my local course (Army GC) - This is mainly due to the time to travel the relatively short distance (less than 15 miles) to Guildford GC - On a good day this will take a minimum of 45 minutes! - I live 3 miles from Army GC & it takes 5-10 minutes max ...
Anyhoo, I have my last two @ Guildford games this week, though maybe after yesterday's round I should bin the round on Thursday (?) - I teed off early in a two-ball with a pal who plays off 14 - We matched scores on every hole of the front 9, including a birdie each on the 4th - So I was on 19pts at the turn & he was on 22pts - However I putted in off the fringe in the 10th for birdie & followed it with another on the Par 3 11th - 7x pars later I had finished with 23pts which was 10pts more than my pal :eek: - 2 under par, on the more difficult back 9 at Guildford, could be the best I have ever scored & I am tempted to not play on Thursday, but I know there will be a few of my mates there on Thursday (probably to make sure I really leave!)
Paul

LOS

Local club/country
England
Pretty sad week for me in some ways, as after over 20yrs I have decided to leave Guildford GC & join my local course (Army GC) - This is mainly due to the time to travel the relatively short distance (less than 15 miles) to Guildford GC - On a good day this will take a minimum of 45 minutes! - I live 3 miles from Army GC & it takes 5-10 minutes max ...
Anyhoo, I have my last two @ Guildford games this week, though maybe after yesterday's round I should bin the round on Thursday (?) - I teed off early in a two-ball with a pal who plays off 14 - We matched scores on every hole of the front 9, including a birdie each on the 4th - So I was on 19pts at the turn & he was on 22pts - However I putted in off the fringe in the 10th for birdie & followed it with another on the Par 3 11th - 7x pars later I had finished with 23pts which was 10pts more than my pal :eek: - 2 under par, on the more difficult back 9 at Guildford, could be the best I have ever scored & I am tempted to not play on Thursday, but I know there will be a few of my mates there on Thursday (probably to make sure I really leave!)
Paul
I last played the Army Club in 1972 and looking at their website things have changed a lot since then. Best of luck with your new course.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
I last played the Army Club in 1972 and looking at their website things have changed a lot since then. Best of luck with your new course.
Cheers LOS - It's much changed of late & has a reputation for being one of the best courses in Hampshire now - It's a bit longer than Guildford & I'll have to play well to maintain my current handicap, but I hope that will spur me on (?) - I would have joined years ago, but was reluctant to leave Guildford, which I joined over 20 years ago - Blame the ridiculous traffic in this area! - It takes me about the same time to get there as it does to get to New Forest GC (15 miles v 55 miles :eek:)
Paul

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Had my first round at Army GC today (see above) - Early roll-up play a team event rather than individual & as I wasn't marking the car,d I can't say exactly what I scored (?) - They had their Club Champs over the weekend, so the greens were slicker than Lily Savage's legs! - I started off by hitting driver / rescue through the
1st green - I chipped close & got my birdie, which turned out to be the highlight of the round - I did get some nice pars on shot holes to help the team, but we were knocked into 2nd place, mainly due to one of the high handicap guys who just couldn't handle the speed of the greens - I'm pretty sure he never 2 putted a single green & was almost suicidal when we finished! - Course was in excellent condition & it was bliss to have less than a 10 minute drive there & back ...
Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
We had a fun match last night. With terrible weather forecasts for the foreseeable future, we headed for a quick evening round, teeing off at 7.10 pm playing from the front tees with no woods and with a further limitation of our driving irons only being used for tee shots on par 5s. I should've expanded that limitation to all the holes though as I somehow made a mess of three of the four par 5 tee shots leading to playing the par 5s 5 over when my whole round was 9 over for 32 points.

The match ended all square after I lost the 18th hole but it was a fun round. At no moment was I anywhere near serious trouble, just some single bad shots that took away opportunities to score better. I enjoy playing rounds using mostly irons. Using woods always adds a bit more anxiety to the round even if it's a blast to hit drives and try to take advantage of the longer tee shots.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I continue to play poorly, inconsistently, with no one feature being always good or bad, but I'm still in the mode where I'm so thrilled to be playing again that I really don't care. My best round in the past few weeks was a 41 on the front nine where all 5 shots over par came on 2 holes. Let's not talk about the back nine...

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Played my usual weekly 4 ball bounce game yesterday but switched out my set of A flex graphite shafted JPX900 HM irons for a set of MP53 forged irons fitted with NS Pro 950 GH stiff flex shafts, I had recently acquired this set of irons with the intention changing the shafts for ones more suited to my slower swing speed but I may well have to have a rethink if I need to change the shafts or not as I ended up shooting a round of 85 gross net 66....!

I thought I would struggle to play them with the stiff shafts but much to my surprise I found them very easy to play soft feeling with great feed back and the distance control with the MP53s in the shorter irons 8,9 & PW are more controllable than my 900HM irons, only change I'm going to make at the moment is fit a set of Golf Pride multi compound grips as the Mizuno M-21 grips are a bit on the shinny smooth side for my liking, apart from that I'll continue to play them as they are for the time being and see how it all pans out.

John :)

Last edited:

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
First time I’ve played at my home course in competition for over 6 weeks..... hello!!!!

Started with 4 straight pars, bogeyed 5 but then solid pars on 6 & 7 were followed up by a kick in birdie on 8 and a birdie chance on 9 that lipped out. Hit the turn at level par gross 36.
Tee shot on 10, 299yds to left rough, SW 109yd to left rough, chip, missed putt... bogey. That was it for dropped shots 😁. All pars plus an easy birdie on the par 5 17th and it was back in 36 for a level par 72 and 41pts in the stab 💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
I managed to get in 15 holes at my home course yesterday. Played 6 Par 3's in 9 over par. Horrible display of playing on the par 3 holes on my part, cannot explain it. The Rest of the holes which were 7 Par 4's and 2 Par 5's I played in one under par. Great Driving, acceptable Iron play and great putting really got me going on these holes. But those par 3's...o_O

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I actually managed 18 holes yesterday and we're hoping to play 18 again on Monday. For the moment, Miami is actually cooler with temps in the low 90s than the rest of the country where it's well over 100 right now.

I'm still horribly inconsistent. I feel like I'm striking the ball well enough, but my distance with virtually any club is a real lottery. At different times, with no noticeable difference in the speed or direction of the wind, I hit some irons with a 20 yard difference. My chipping and putting have been spotty, bad for a few holes and all of a suddden good for a few holes.

I haven't kept score much since I came back after my surgery, but I probably shot around 90. That's on a course where only 5 years ago, I shot 68. i don't remember golf being this hard.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Hi Dennis ... After all the medical issues you've had I wouldn't get too hung up on how well, or otherwise, you play - Just enjoy that you are back playing - This game seems to be taxing at the best of times, & even as a fairly low handicap, I find I struggle if I can't play on a regular basis & get some practice in - So don't be so hard on yourself, just play the best you can & try to enjoy the good shots
Regards ... Paul

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
As mentioned in earlier posts, on 1st July I started playing at my new course - I have joined Army GC @ Aldershot - It's a well rated course, just over 6,500y off medal tees - I have played there now about half a dozen times & am slowly getting to know my way round - Unlike Guildford, it is much more strategic off the tee - The greens are in great condition, but are the main reason why I haven't scored well on any of my rounds so far (too many putts!) - I played in their Senior Champs recently & shot +10 with 3x double bogies the main reason for a disappointing round...
I also had a baptism of fire when I was selected to play in two of their Senior matches - First one was away at Rowlands Castle (a superb Harry Colt course near Petersfield) - 4BBB format - I played pretty well (+6) & lost 7&6! - Second match was away at Basingstoke (another nice course, but not in RC league) - The course starts & finishes with 2x Par 5's - On the 1st one of the opposition had a net eagle to win the hole - On the 18th his partner had a gross birdie to make my tap in (also for birdie) redundant! - I have experienced plenty of this in matches before, but it would be nice to win a match for my new club!
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Hi Dennis ... After all the medical issues you've had I wouldn't get too hung up on how well, or otherwise, you play - Just enjoy that you are back playing - This game seems to be taxing at the best of times, & even as a fairly low handicap, I find I struggle if I can't play on a regular basis & get some practice in - So don't be so hard on yourself, just play the best you can & try to enjoy the good shots
Regards ... Paul
Hey Pablo - Good to see your voice...

What you commented about, just enjoying myself, is exactly what the biggest benefit has been from my recovery. My whole attitude about the game has changed.

After having to take so much time away from the game, I came to realize how much it means to me. Where I used to have a competitive fire and wanted to score well, even on just a casual friendly round, now I'm dying to play a couple times a week, but at the same time, I really couldn't care less how I score. I don't know how long it might last, but I come home from the course and remember the good shots. Sometimes some weird stuff happens, like yesterday. I hit a decent drive, (not great), then topped a 3 wood about 50 yards. After that, I hit a 4 iron, intending to lay up from 186 yards, but it carried all the way to the back of the green, from which I made a 30 foot putt for my only birdie of the day.

That was the 16th hole, so it totally displaced any previous mental anguish of the round. I have a serious, very happy gap in what I remember from the first 15 holes. I nearly birdied the par 5 18th hole too.

So, part of me wants to play well enough to understand how far I hit each iron, but a lot of me thinks I might be happier forgetting the high level I played at as an amateur, college player and briefly as a club pro. I'm 70 years old and it's time to accept a new normal for what the game means to me.

Bur wow, that 4 iron was fun!!!

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I've been stuck shooting low to mid 80s without really playing all that well. Just staying out of trouble but missing fairways, missing greens slightly or landing way too far from the hole for legitimate birdie chances.

I've been happy with my GPS watch but the latter problem is partially due to a fair share of the greens at my home club not being visible for approach shots and sometimes what looks like a front/mid hole location might be at the back and vice versa. I might need to dish out money for a laser. :( Money I was planning to use on the HMB 3 iron.

I also had a fun day on Wednesday watching and helping a course rating team re-rate our courses. I can't wait to see the results, hopefully the ratings will go up for our tougher course.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I played 9 yesterday morning in such brutal humidity, it was painful. I hit the EZ irons I just got fair, not great, but the few good shots I did hit felt good. On the other hand, I wasn't at all thrilled with the GT 180 driver compared to my performance with my ST 180.

That's kind of where my head is about golf right now. I rarely keep score anymore unless I notice I've started out well. I just try to come home with the memory of some good shots.

That brings up a question in my mind... Until my shoulder surgery, I felt I had a chance to shoot my age when I reached 70, but my muscles and game have deteriorated enough for me to question that. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's still a goal or not.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I do like my ST180 and I wish I had an ST180 fairway instead of the GT 180, I have a gut feeling it would be a much better fit for me.

Enjoy playing golf for now and see where that leads you, Dennis. Maybe you'll get back to a whole different level one day if you stick to stretching and working out the muscles. :)

We had a "boys' day and night out" on Saturday. Starting with a 9-hole tournament on a par-3 course. The trick was we all had just 7 irons and on the third hole, which has a forced carry over the water, you needed to tee off with a left-handed club (or a lefty needed to use a right-handed club). Birdie was 10 points, par was 4, bogey 2, double bogey 1 and anything worse was -1 point. There were also other rules, like if you found your ball unplayable, you could take free relief and needed to drop the ball closer to the hole. :)

The score was tied after 9 holes and me and another guy headed for extra holes. He hit his tee shot OB but with the rules for the day his ball was soon back in play. He then hit his second shot into a greenside bunker but as it was also "an unplayable lie" he could drop the ball on the fringe on the green side and managed to make a bogey, the same as I playing the ball down. Luckily I parred the second extra hole and won the event. :D After that it was drinks, food, sauna and a night in the city.

The age (and the rarity of drinking alcohol altogether nowadays) do take their toll and I was rather tired even this morning but decided to join my friend and his colleague for a round. I shot the best round of the season - +9 80 and 38 points. Maybe I need to start drinking more often again. :) My new Bushnell was also great, especially with the shorter shots. Is the distance 52 or 58 meters etc.? While it might look stupid it also helped me tremendously with chip shots around the green. I could trust the club and swing for distance and it was down to concentrating on the line. I hit the pin once with a chip shot, had another lip out and a couple of more tap-ins to get up and down.

I do admit I might look stupid lasering 15-meter distances but it did help me. :)

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
I might be getting the hang of my new course at last! - Just over a month in & I was wondering when I would start to score they way I was used to at Guildford & New Forest? - Last Monday I had 37pts in the roll-up & I repeated this today - I played my shot holes really well & had pars on 4 of them & a birdie on the SI1 4th
The toughest hole at the Army (imho) is the 16th (though it is only SI3?) - I have had several 6's on this hole as it needs a very accurate positional drive to the corner of the dog-leg (unless you are able to hit a high driver to carry over 250y?) - That leaves an uphill second to the green - Today I slightly pulled my hybrid off the tee but finished almost perfect, with a slight draw needed from 185y to reach the green - I hit a 5 iron to about 12' & just missed birdie! - I did follow that with a bogey on 17th (a par 3 I have not yet parred in about a dozen attempts, but that's another story ...)
Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Paul, do you know whether the hole stroke indices are for stroke play or match play? Because there's a big difference. if they're for match play a really tough hole might be difficult for a scratch golfer (a long par 4 even they have trouble reaching in two and struggle to make par) whereas it plays like a "rather easy" par 5 for the bogey golfer. Thus the differential between the scores of scratch and bogey golfers might not be all that big and thus the bogey golfer doesn't really need the help of an extra stroke on that particular hole.

There's also further considerations in the allocations, like not having the stroke holes at the start or the end of the rounds (or even the nines) to avoid situations where one player might get a stroke on a playoff hole.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Paul, do you know whether the hole stroke indices are for stroke play or match play? Because there's a big difference. if they're for match play a really tough hole might be difficult for a scratch golfer (a long par 4 even they have trouble reaching in two and struggle to make par) whereas it plays like a "rather easy" par 5 for the bogey golfer. Thus the differential between the scores of scratch and bogey golfers might not be all that big and thus the bogey golfer doesn't really need the help of an extra stroke on that particular hole.

There's also further considerations in the allocations, like not having the stroke holes at the start or the end of the rounds (or even the nines) to avoid situations where one player might get a stroke on a playoff hole.
Hi Halebopp - Stroke indices here in the UK are for the hole & do not differentiate between stroke play or match play? - I agree that there can be a big difference on which hole plays difficult for which standard of player - I am a low handicap player & as a senior, one of the lowest within the various clubs I play - One of the clubs I play (New Forest) has 4x par 5's - Three of these holes are shot holes for me & only the SI1 3rd hole is out of range for me in two shots (I have had a couple of chances to reach the 3rd in 2 but it is a dangerous shot to try with a 3 wood & much safer to hit a mid iron & wedge!) - If I shoot a good score there it is usually on the back of scoring four points on a couple of those par 5's
Paul

Top Bottom