How did you do?

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
Thanks Deemac, I guess it's just a waiting game. Just a bit concerned, I've had spells like this but they normally only last 3 wks max.

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver
Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff
hang in there mate, it will come back to you. Dont force it, or think about it, or over analyse it. Different interest, but I have gone through the same thing with photography. I just got so into it, I burned out and hardly picked up a camera this year. Im now just starting to get the urges back. Its a cycle, and the desire will return.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
mattymp62 said:
Thanks Deemac, I guess it's just a waiting game. Just a bit concerned, I've had spells like this but they normally only last 3 wks max.
Getting rid of that Driver, 3-wood, and Putter, and replacing them with a decent brand might help... Just a suggestion... lol ;-) ;-) ;-)

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
Deemac said:
Getting rid of that Driver, 3-wood, and Putter, and replacing them with a decent brand might help... Just a suggestion... lol ;-) ;-) ;-)
lol must admit if I had the cash I probably would get an all Mizuno bag. I would be hard pushed to bin the putter though as it's a magic wand for me, though I do like the look of the new Mizuno putters (haven't seen them in hand yet).

Don't worry though, I have done the pro trick and put Mizuno headcovers on the woods!

Good start for Woody today -8 :)

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
mattymp62 said:
... though I do like the look of the new Mizuno putters (haven't seen them in hand yet).
BTW - The line 90's were a complete surprise to me - they roll exceptionally well and feel great off the face!!!

D.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno MP62 4-PW, Mizuno MP T5 52, 58 wedges
Driver
Ping G30 / Titleist 913 D2
Had a solid weekend, 75 on Saturday, 73 yesterday.

Strange to say but I hit the ball better on Saturday and did not get what I deserved out of the round, did not hit it so well on Sunday but squeezed more than I should of out of it, holed a couple of long putts etc, short game was decent.

I never realised until after yesterdays round that there was a competition on and I would of had a net 68 which was the winning score, a bit of a shame but no big deal.

Overall I am very pleased with the state of my game considering I have not played much golf lately, you could probably count on one hand the number of rounds I have played in the last couple of months.

Dave Lyall

HCP
Local club/country
Kirriemuir Golf Club, Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-Pw, Black Ox Wedges,52,54 & 56, Titleist 985 19 Stiff Hybrid,Cleveland Hi Bore 17 Stiff Hybrid
Driver
Titleist 909D2,9.5 Degree, Stiff Aldila Voodoo Shaft
Happy with my winter golf so far as well.
Last weekend Saturday started great out in 37 (3 over) then missed too many greens on the back nine,didn't get up and down in reg. and a 40 (6 over)back nine out of nothing.
The Sunday started even better 35 out then one of the guys in our fourball suggested at the 9th I was quitting a bit on my approach shots.Pretty cheeky considering I birdied the whole,and,to make matters worse he was actually my partner in our match within our winter league round ! Not some mind game comment from an opponent there so as they say who needs enemies !! This resulted in me thinking "I'll show him" and proceeded to knife nearly every approach shot on the back nine,resulting in a horror 43 (9 over)back nine,and yes I did feel like shaking him by the throat rather than the hand at the 18th green.
However all said and done took all the positives from these rounds and armed with the wedges made the weekly Thursday night trip to the local range to exorcise the demons from my partners "friendly advice" on the previous Sunday.
It paid dividends.
Yesterday front nine 33 (1 under) and back nine 37 (3 over) with a couple of 3 dabs and a really duffed shot at 15 after a great drive which resulted in a daft bogey.
All rounds on what has been pretty much the full course so needless to say quite chuffed with the progress.
At last all my hard work appears to be reaching fruition,and,although we are probably about to get hit by bad weather sooner rather than later,if I can keep this run of form and confidence going I will hopefully hit the ground running at the start of the new season.

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
Driver
I had a much better round over the weekend. I was 6 over par(39points) after being 5over after 3 with a blow out triple bogey (wipe). Was 1 over my handicap at the turn, but parred the second nine with 3 birdies and 3 bogeys and 3 pars. Still struggling with the driver. Im hitting my 3w so sweet with an inside out arc, but just cant do it at times with the driver. Its mainly a lower body issue is I tend to not open my hips and I then try to pull over the top to get back on plane resulting in an outside in arc then hit a weak fade. My irons are ok. Still hit the odd lose long iron, so I need to tighten that up. Will be working on the driving if I can manage to get to the course after work this week.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Yay! can finally post in this thread again.

Played nicely on Saturday, played a links course on the south coast with 11 friends from my home course, it is fairly short, but is usually always very windy, which makes it tough. but there was no wind to speak of at all. So the course played as easy as it ever will, the greens were perfect - receptive and true. Shot 1 over par 71 (with 2 long three putts), which gave me 40 stableford points. Lost out to a 22 h/c with 43 points!! :)

Golf's back!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Well done db!! I must admit - I hate losing out like that to a high handicapper in a Stableford who happens to have a couple of decent holes - very frustrating!! But as long as your own game is ON FIRE, that's the main thing!!

Can't remember the last time I played proper golf, but I DID manage 3hrs of practice on REAL GRASS on Saturday and Sunday at the practice area on my course!!

Was striking the ball VERY well considering my lack of play/practice recently.

I am planning a day off on Wednesday and a fellow forum member and myself are hopefully off to Dundonald for a round, so... Here's hoping the weather holds out till Wednesday as promised by the Met Office!!

I'll report back on Wednesday eve - if we play that is!!

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
Driver
3 over par today. 5 bogies, 2 birdies, 2 penalty shots for tee shots in hazards. Bogeyed both par 5's which is just ridiculous. Putted well for a change. Holed some great savers. Not enough fairways hit either.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
ChuckD said:
3 over par today. 5 bogies, 2 birdies, 2 penalty shots for tee shots in hazards. Bogeyed both par 5's which is just ridiculous. Putted well for a change. Holed some great savers. Not enough fairways hit either.
Well done!! I think most of us back here in the UK would just be glad to have the weather to play!!!

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
Driver
Thanks Deemac. Im sure some would give their left you know what to play. Still, you guys are going to have a white xmas. Not something we see here. I was lucky enough to get one last year in the US after spending 5 of my last 10 xmas's there without any success.

Pete Player

HCP
Local club/country
www.levi.fi
Irons
Mizuno MP-69 3-PW, Cobra Tour Trusty 52, 56°
Driver
Cobra BiO Cell+ MyFly 8.5° Matrix Ozic 6Q3 X-Stiff, TM R9 fwy woods
What a feeling!

Scored a lady tennis player last saturday at the local. Spent the rest of the weekend with her. Then again met her on monday night to play tennis after a 10-year-total-break from the sport and prior to that some 10 more non-tennis year under my belt.

And LOVED it - and her ofcourse!

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
37 points today with a blow out on the shortest par 3 on the course! pushed my tee shot, duffed a chip into the sand and failed to get up and down ended up with a double bogey 5.

Shot 4 over with a bit of rust so pleased anyway.

Anybody else get out this week? I like to hear how people are doing.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Yep! I managed a round at Troon - Lochgreen on Thursday and 9 holes on my home course today.

Both courses are on temporary tees and greens so it wasn't so much a day for counting strokes, but rather blasting the cobwebs away!

My driving was superb, my irons were reasonably good, but my short game and putting were SHOCKING!!!

All the full swing stuff is looking good, but anything that involves feel or touch is WAY out of sync!!

I know what needs worked on before the start of the season!! But it was GREAT to be out on the grass again, hitting balls. LOVED it!!! Hope to get some more holes in before going back to work on Wednesday.

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
Driver
Played our Monthly Medal yesterday (stroke round the first Saturday of every month). Very hit and miss. 3 birdies in the first 10 holes kept me at +2, then a mid round meltdown. Doubles on both 11 and 12, both tee shots in hazards. Steadied the last 6 holes, but damage was done. Still won the December medal play off by one stroke thanks to playing off my December handicap (9) for that round. Finished at +8 which was my handicap for the day. Dropped another shot though. 7.2 for next week.

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Following the stack n tilt discussion I had a little experiment on the range the other day where I kept my weight forward but not as far as full on s&t (maybe 70-30 front-back) but concentrated on a straighter shorter backswing and aggressive down and through to a full finish. More of a Moe Norman approach - accuracy over distance.

Well I couldn't hit a bad one and even started to draw and fade at will.

So the last couple of days I've taken it onto the course (in amazing condition - considering - proper greens and mostly mats) and it's still good. I'm definitely sold on a shorter more controlled backswing - even led to a new mantra for myself

"Commit to the full 80%"

My irons have been a weakness in the past so I'd try and blast my driver to wedge range to compensate - resulting in missed fairways. Bad times.
If I can get my irons as flush and straight as they were today I can be as confident from 160 as 120 and so therefore relax more on the tee. Good times.

I really want to hit the ground running this year and today was a great start - 3 birdies and lots of fairways and greens. Just let down by my putter which needs a bit more fettling to get the balance right.

Whether the swing is a keeper or not is yet to be seen but the shorter backswing will definitely stay.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Big Pete - I reckon your new found control will be more to do with the shortened backswing!

And you will probably find that if you shortened your backswing with your normal weight distribution you will still be exercising more control but without any appreciable loss of distance!

I have a tendancey to overswing, so when my swing gets out of the slot I imagine myself hitting 3/4 shots, only to find that whilst they may feel 3/4 to me - they invariably go the same distance! The quicker transition causes a very slight de-lofting, which, along with greater compression and better strike, more than compensate for the shorter backswing!

Anyway - keep it up, and let us know how it progresses!!

D.

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Believe me I've tried pretty much everything and yes I've tried a normal swing with a shortened backswing but with a "normal" swing I have a tendancy to sway back and then lunge forward resulting in fats and thins etc. With the weight forward / centered I can keep my head / spine steady over the ball and get a clean contact EVERY time. The distance is pretty much the same as a steady "normal" shot - like 8 iron 150 - which is fine for me.

Like I said it will no doubt change but at the moment it's working great

Top Bottom