HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Pretty much got my MOJO back!!

Went for a lesson a few days ago - got a few kinks straightened back out...

Played a corporate day today at a new course in Bishopton (just outside Glasgow) called Mar Hall. Opened on May 4th this year, and I must say it was in lovely condition!!! This is going to be an extremely good course in the next few years as it matures!! There are three holes where you could be forgiven for thinking you are at Loch Lomond - very similar indeed.

Anyway, I drove the ball exceptionally well and hit every fairway. Irons were solid, but my short game and putting were a bit rusty - however the team I was in won on the day and I also "Beat the Pro" on one of the par 3's (best gross score mano et mano). I played a textbook on the green in one, putt to 4 inches and tap in for par, whereas the pro pulled his tee shot into the rough, played a delightful recovery to 4 foot and missed his putt. For that I won a free round of golf at the course.

Got my appetite for the game back and can't wait for my next round...

D.

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
Great to hear Deemac, we all through those spells where we don't want to be near a golf course, soon passes though :)

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver
Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff
My pattern of one good week, one ordinary week, continued on Saturday, but I feel that what I gained during the week was definite progress. I had 6 over par, but it could have been so much better. 4 bad shots on the day cost me 2 double bogeys, and 2 bogeys, not to mention my only 3 putt resulted in a par. I was hitting my irons really well. Felt like I was finally trapping the ball, although I still managed to hit 2 poor 6i's on the front and a bad 5i on the 18th. At the end of the day, I hit 9/13 fairways, and 10 GIR. So many birdie putts touched the lip, but our greens weren't the best in preparation for coring. I have only played 2 rounds with my new putter and grip so I expect things to improve there too. My goal is to get to 6 by the years end. Im not sure Im going to make it as that round which would have helped was not included as individual. Im going to play a 9 this afternoon and try to reinforce the good things I did. There is a Cup round this weekend and although there are many golfers better than me, I know Im playing just as good as them as I posted 2 of the best scratch scores over the course of the recent club champs.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno MP62 4-PW, Mizuno MP T5 52, 58 wedges
Driver
Ping G30 / Titleist 913 D2
Played Saturday and had another rubbish round, I am not sure where my game has gone, it has gone from solid to erratic. Saving grace was I played the last 8 in level par, but the first 11 were shocking.

Bogey
Par
Bogey
Double
Bogey
Bogey
Bogey
Par
Bogey
Par
Bogey

3 pars in 11 holes, 9 over through 11, and I got up and down a couple of times in that, I putted in from the fringe on number 7 for a bogey lol. This weekend, out of the blue I developed a slice, which is just lovely :). I haven't played as much as usual of late, so am going to get bit of practise in as I have the club pairs final looming in 2 weeks time.

Deemac, if you need any help painting your fence give me a shout. haha.

Edit - just read the post and got the numbers wrong.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Hit the ball great yesterday, all is well again, hallelujah!

Mizo

HCP
-
Local club/country
Efteling, Netherlands
Irons
18° MP FLi-Hi/MP-57/3-PW/PX 5.5, MP-T/56-10/R300
Driver
MX-560/9.5/Proforce V2S 66g
Finally found the error that got into my iron play and ruined my distance.Really have to keep practising this winter so it doesn't sneak back in.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Played nicely again today. Played either to my handicap (5) or better than it 4 rounds on the trot. In actual fact 3 of the 4 rounds have been better than it.

Played the first 18 of a 36 hole match play final today, my partner and I are 6 up. The other 18 tomorrow, not taking anything for granted.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
db. said:
Played the first 18 of a 36 hole match play final today, my partner and I are 6 up. The other 18 tomorrow, not taking anything for granted.
We managed to win the club pairs championship today, 6 up after 18 holes, halved the first and second, then both my partner and I birdied the 3rd to take it to 7 up, cruising (or so we thought). We then lost 6 out of the next 7 holes to some inspired golf!! unbelievably we were back to just 1 up after 10. I then made the most miraculous birdie on 11 from the trees, pushed my tee shot, had a restricted back swing but managed to punch one through a 2 foot gap, chased it onto the green to about 25 foot and nailed the putt. We halved 12, won 13 & 14 then halved 15 to win 4&3.

Name up on the board in the club house for the third time now. Another victory for Mizuno, (although my pairs partner plays Cleveland).

HCP
Local club/country
Berkhamsted GC
Irons
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-PW, MP T5 50 and 55 deg
Driver
Titleist 913 D3 9.5 deg, 913F 15 deg 3-wood and 910H 21 deg hybrid
Well done db. Congratulations on winning a "board" competition.

Mizo

HCP
-
Local club/country
Efteling, Netherlands
Irons
18° MP FLi-Hi/MP-57/3-PW/PX 5.5, MP-T/56-10/R300
Driver
MX-560/9.5/Proforce V2S 66g
Got some spectacular shots out of my 2i MP FLI Hi today. Including a 220 meter shot that landed 4m from the flag. Which was just off the green still. But it's good to see yesterdays lesson pay off that quickly.
The round score wasn't that special, but slowly getting there.
Dropped a lot on putting this time around, usually have 2 putts and a couple of 3's, now had mostly 4 or worse. So whatever I gained on getting to the green, I lost putting.
Kinda wonder when I finally get both right and get a real handicap.

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
Driver
A real mixed bag over the weekend. I drive the ball ok. Nothing wild from the tee, but has been better in recent weeks so I have taken a backward step in that department. Irons were Meh. I hit 5 fat shots. I have no idea what I am doing there. Most are with my mid to long irons. My game inside 110m is where im most solid right now. Front nine was 3 pars, 6 bogeys with 2 running 3 putts. Could not hit a green, and those 3 putts came when I finally did. Quite frustrating. 6 over at the turn. first 3 holes on the back nine is the hardest stretch for me. 3 bogeys on the trot saw me 9 over after 12. Settled with a par on 13 then birdied 14 and 15 with 2 good approach shots. Parred the last 3, all from up and downs, with 17 and 18 the hardest of those but hit 2 tough pitches stone dead. finished a very scrappy 7 over but 38points. Just cant take practice fairway form to the course. I can stand there all day and hit great 7 and 8i's, but get to the course and try to muscle everything in fear of leaving it short. Just dont know what to do or where to turn for help in that department.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
ChuckD said:
I can stand there all day and hit great 7 and 8i's, but get to the course and try to muscle everything in fear of leaving it short. Just dont know what to do or where to turn for help in that department.
Just for a couple of weeks - take 1 more club than you think you need and swing easy! So, if you're 150 out and your go-to club is a 7-iron, take 6-iron and make a really confident yet easy swing. You know that if you flush it - it's going long, so you throttle back.

After a couple of weeks doing this you will find that even your perceived "throttling back" shots will go long, because the quality of strike and timing onto the ball will improve significantly. Then it's back to your normal clubs for each distance - swinging naturally and confidently!!

D.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
I never played any medal rounds this weekend, but I was on the course on Friday and Sunday. It was funny on Friday...

I arrived at the course and went to the first tee to await my time, a guy was on the tee on his own and I asked him if he wanted company - he said yes. We introduced ourselves and then got down to the business of playing. Well - As I had just got out the car and hadn't even had a practice swing, I managed to duck hook the ball almost onto the practice area. I hit a not-so-great shot back on to the short stuff, duffed a flop to the green and 2-putt for a double bogey. Next tee, I manage to duck hook the ball OB, played a sweet 3-wood for my third, a decent 6-iron to the green and 2-putt for another double.

Anyway, at this poing the guy asks me what my handicap is and I say 7, and he looks at me like "Yeah, and I'm Tiger Woods!"

But birdies at the next 5 holes on the trot soon put paid to that and got to the turn in 1-under. It's a funny old game!!!

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
Driver
Deemac said:
ChuckD said:
I can stand there all day and hit great 7 and 8i's, but get to the course and try to muscle everything in fear of leaving it short. Just dont know what to do or where to turn for help in that department.
Just for a couple of weeks - take 1 more club than you think you need and swing easy! So, if you're 150 out and your go-to club is a 7-iron, take 6-iron and make a really confident yet easy swing. You know that if you flush it - it's going long, so you throttle back.

After a couple of weeks doing this you will find that even your perceived "throttling back" shots will go long, because the quality of strike and timing onto the ball will improve significantly. Then it's back to your normal clubs for each distance - swinging naturally and confidently!!

D.
Good advice. Its how I usually cool down at the range. 3/4 back swings, similar follow through, often with the same result as my normal shots, but even those I cant play on the course. Its all in my head. Having some mind issues it appears. I'll put that to work on my next practice round. Cheers pal.

D

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Played yesterday and shot my "home course" personal best - Gross 73 (2-over)!! Lipped out on 3 putts as well, so all round it was a great performance and one that I welcome due to so many poor performances lately. But it looks like...

I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just in time for the END of the season. lol :)

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
Driver
Played a fairly good round on Saturday. Started with a double on the 10th, a 138m Par3. Something about the teeing ground unnerves me and I rarely hit a good tee shot there when its my first hole of the day. Turned it around on the next with a birdie on the hardest hole on the course. Things settled from there. Left a birdie in the heart on 14, birdies on 16 and 17 got me back even, but a heavy shot on 18 cost me another double. 2 over at the turn. A very poor bogey down the first, and a 6i to 3ft on the second but missed the putt on cored green. Rock solid par on 3 then 3 consecutive bogeys, one from a 3 putt, one from a poor tee shot and another from hitting the wrong club. Birdied 7 (9i to 3ft) and 8 (chip in)and should have closed with another. Finished the day at +4 with a PB of 5 birdies. Apart from 2 irons, I struck them really well. The best in ages. I spent about 4 hours on the practice fairway during the week and it paid in spades. I have said it before, but I think I have sorted out my issue, for real this time. Looking forward to the coming weeks as I think I can improve on that, left a few out there. Handicap now the lowest I can remember.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
ChuckD said:
Played a fairly good round on Saturday. Started with a double on the 10th, a 138m Par3. Something about the teeing ground unnerves me and I rarely hit a good tee shot there when its my first hole of the day. Turned it around on the next with a birdie on the hardest hole on the course. Things settled from there. Left a birdie in the heart on 14, birdies on 16 and 17 got me back even, but a heavy shot on 18 cost me another double. 2 over at the turn. A very poor bogey down the first, and a 6i to 3ft on the second but missed the putt on cored green. Rock solid par on 3 then 3 consecutive bogeys, one from a 3 putt, one from a poor tee shot and another from hitting the wrong club. Birdied 7 (9i to 3ft) and 8 (chip in)and should have closed with another. Finished the day at +4 with a PB of 5 birdies. Apart from 2 irons, I struck them really well. The best in ages. I spent about 4 hours on the practice fairway during the week and it paid in spades. I have said it before, but I think I have sorted out my issue, for real this time. Looking forward to the coming weeks as I think I can improve on that, left a few out there. Handicap now the lowest I can remember.
Well done!! The impressive thing about this round of golf was that you didn't seem to let your bad shots affect you... You were still competing down to the last - good on you!!

What's the target now? Low single figures?

Like yourself - I reckon I've just about nailed the reason why I hit my poorest shots and I've latched on to a swing thought that seems to be keeping me on the right track - so I'm playing well presently! But as always, it's just as the words are leaving your mouth about having the game sorted and playing well, when the golfing god's have a laugh and curse you again... :)

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
Driver
Thanks DM. My target handicap is 6 before we reach 2011. The next 8 weeks will be telling. I played a quick niner this morning with my dad and an old family friend. I tried to do the same things again. Drove the ball really well with the driver. Even shaped some shots from the tee, something I rarely try to do when hitting it straight is hard enough. I finished at +2 including a double on a short tight dogleg par 4. For some reason, I pull my 3w from the tee from time to time. Although its not a long course, you still need to hit good shots at the right time and keep the ball on the fairway. I started this year on 12.4 and now on 7.9, and Im about to lose a +4 score so I need to be there abouts again this week to keep the handicap going in the right direction. Thanks again.

D

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
Sooooo my fellow golf fans, I'm having a bit of a problem in the words of Frank Spencer!

I seem to have completely fallen out of love with the game, I haven't played for 8 weeks now, not even practised! At first I thought it was just the winter blues and the final debacle I played in that was getting me down, but I have no desire at all to get out there.

I know a couple of others have felt this way recently, and I have even offered advice, but this has never happened to me so I'm wondering what has happened as I have always be fanatical about the game.

One serious question, I have been recently prescribed beta blockers for migraine prevention (long time sufferer) could this be a related side effect?

Any advice?

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Matty,

It's like looking in the mirror the way I felt a couple of months ago.

For me, it was a real bad run of form and poor ball striking that put me on a downer, but after 3-weeks off, I took a lesson to get me started again and haven't looked back ever since.

I think when you are so devoted and obsessed with a game, it can get to the point where you've had too much!!

My advice is - enjoy your sabatical, do the things you need to do round the house and earn brownie points with the wife - and then when you find it again, there will be no stopping you!! You will also find that you get it back again more than before!!

Patience!!! ;-)

But in the meantime - keep posting!!!

D.

Top Bottom