Grove Sharpener

HCP
Local club/country
King James V1 Perth Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-pw and MP57 4-pw - Mizuno T series wedges 52 & 56 deg.
Driver
Ping G5
Recently I purchased a tool for sharpening iron grooves. I used this on my set of MP30 irons which are about 5 years old but still in good condition. I have oiled my clubs with WD40 at regular intervals ,(about once a month and after a round in the wet ), however, since using the grove tool I have noticed what looks like rust marks on some of the club faces. Although WD40 removes the marks, they now seem to return again easily.
Is there some sort of protection within the grooves which I have destroyed with the groove tool ? Anyone got any ideas?

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
By using the re-grooving tool, you have removed the chrome plating from the club exposing the raw steel. This will tend to make the club rust easier! I use a groove sharpener regularly and my clubs still look fine!

Rust on the face of a club is not a real problem, only an aesthetic one!

If you want to limit the rust on the face of the clubs, clean them and DRY THEM THOUROUGHLY after each round, and keep them in a dry and warm location.

If you cant do this, then a quick smear with vaseline in between rounds will also work, but make sure you wipe it off before playing with them, or else it will affect the spin you generate at impact!

HCP
Local club/country
Mayfair Lakes
Irons
Mizuno/MP60/3-pw
Driver
Ping/G5/10.5
is it safe or recommended to sharpen your groves? If so does Mizuno make a sharpener?

HCP
Local club/country
Mayfair Lakes
Irons
Mizuno/MP60/3-pw
Driver
Ping/G5/10.5
anyone know the answer to this? I have a MP60 pitching wedge that could use a sharpening but I don't want to damage the club.

unbeatenthisyear

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-64
Driver
JPX Proto
Hi jvasto

I wouldn't recommend it. If you break the chrome it will rust and obviously any adjustment could make them illegal.

Best regards, Andy

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
jvasto said:
is it safe or recommended to sharpen your groves? If so does Mizuno make a sharpener?
I dont want to disagree with the Mizuno staffer who posted before me, however, I use a sharpener on my MP32's and it works fine! Sure, the chrome is gone, but it was gone anyway!

As long as you wash and dry them thoroughly after use they will be fine.

In terms of the grooves - if you buy the correct grooving tool, they are designed and made to cut legal grooves - i.e. they can only cut a certain shape and they only go down a certain depth, keeping you 100% legal.

HCP
Local club/country
King James V1 Perth Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-pw and MP57 4-pw - Mizuno T series wedges 52 & 56 deg.
Driver
Ping G5
Re DEEMAC's point , What is the correct tool. I purchased my groove sharpener through EBAY from an American website which advertised it's suitability for Mizuno clubs. One end is for Square grooves the other end is for Vee grooves.
I did not consider the fact that the clubs could become illegal and maybe they now are ! It occurs to me on considering this issue , that if you start with new legal square grooves and they wear, then this will mean the groove edges have worn. If any grove sharpener rectifies this issue and squares the grooves again , then surely the grooves must become wider. Perhaps then there becomes a legality issue.
Any views advise , although it's done now !

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
You are partially correct! The groove sharpener will not completely rectify and sharpen the rounded corners of the grooves, however with a forged club, the constant impacting causes the softer steel to deform into the groove. The groove sharpener will remove the excess steel that has been "crushed" into the groove, thus sharpening the grooves again, but not to the point where the grooves become sharp 90 degree angles again!

The groove tool I have is square ended, it is the proper thickness to only cut grooves of a maximum (legal) width and it has been machined so that it stops cutting at a certain depth.

Unfortunately it was a gift from someone, so I can't hazard a guess at where it came from, but they are out there!

Top Bottom