Golfing Mile-Stones! What have your's been?

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
I have to admit to having a very good season this year! I've achieved 3 golfing milestones:

1) I got my handicap into single figures this year

2) In May of 2009 I parred the back nine of a course - this was the first time I had parred either a back or front nine

3) I'm just back from a fortnight's holiday in Belek, Turkey (Sep 09) and I played the PGA Pasha course and finished level par - the first time I've parred a course

What milestones have you guys reached this year or what fond memories of reaching golfing milestones do you have???

Lord of the Divots

HCP
Local club/country
Kedleston Park GC, England
Irons
Mizuno MX 200, nippon ns pro 1150GH tour reg., 1* up, std. length
Driver
Titleist 909 D2 10.5, Diamana BB reg.
well i started to play last year so don't have much to compare to however:

1) got my first eagle in may
2) got my HCP from 28 to 9
3) first (and only) 300 yard drive
4) shot under 80 for the first time (75)
5) won 3 mens' medals (i am a junior)
6) shot under par for the first time for 9 holes (-2)

It's been a good year..so far.. :)

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
Lord of the Divots said:

Good grief. What is on next years list - reach scratch, break course record, turn pro?

cstrong

HCP
Local club/country
Wentworth (local, not a member!) / Southern Counties Cup Golf Society
Irons
Mizuno MX-17 Regular Flex (3-SW), RAM 60 Deg Lob Wedge, Ping Craz-E putter
Driver
No driver! / Mizuno MP-001 3 Wood (13.5 / Stiff) / TaylorMade 22 Hybrid
I wanted to get down to 18 this year. I'd been sat around 21 for the last 6 years and figured that was my limit. In fact, three weeks ago, I was on the verge of putting the clubs away for 6 months or so...

Then I went to a local course and shot a 78. It's a short course, but I played well. Next society event I won scoring 42 points and was cut to 19 and I shot another 42 points yesterday in a society match play game and was cut to 17.2!

So I've succeeded my expectations so far this year and feel I can go another 2 shots lower before the year is out.

Oh and I had a 328 yard drive with my 3 wood this year - Raised tee with a following wind but still, a pure strike! Shame it was a provisional...The first only went 295!

Milestone for me now is to get down to 15!

Lord of the Divots

HCP
Local club/country
Kedleston Park GC, England
Irons
Mizuno MX 200, nippon ns pro 1150GH tour reg., 1* up, std. length
Driver
Titleist 909 D2 10.5, Diamana BB reg.
mjtoal said:
Lord of the Divots said:

Good grief. What is on next years list - reach scratch, break course record, turn pro?

Well my pro thinks that he could get me to 'pro level' within 2 years so...thats the dream

next year i would want my first round under par and bogey free round and maybe get my HCP below 3, might not happen but its good to have high hopes

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Lord of the Divots said:
mjtoal said:
Lord of the Divots said:

Well my pro thinks that he could get me to 'pro level' within 2 years so...thats the dream

next year i would want my first round under par and bogey free round and maybe get my HCP below 3, might not happen but its good to have high hopes
I wish you all the very best! And if your first year is anything to go by - you're one to watch!!

Mad as a Frog

HCP
Local club/country
Batchworth Park GC
Irons
MX-300 4&5, MP 52s 6-PW, Project X 5.5,Bridgestone 3&5 Woods with Accra Axiv XC75 shafts Stiff - Vokeys 50, 55 & 60
Driver
Nakashima HTEC Driver 460 Aldila VS Proto 60 Shaft 9.5 degree
Hi Deemac,

Very Impressive!! Last year went from 21.4 to 12.6, this year improved my swing immeasurable and now own woods for the first time - but my handicap has stayed the same although have the ability to shoot lower now. Wanted to break 80 and get single figures but have not put the work in on my short game or putting - just trying to groove the swing.

However question for you - I now own the MP52's PX 6.0 (Sweet as) only a week so early to tell (Struggling with 3 & 4 tho). DG 52 & 58 on Way. Driver is Callaway FT-9 I-Mix with Pro-lauch Platinum Stiff Shaft 10 Degrees - but need to complete my set - I like the sound of CLK 17,20 & 23 (or is there newer versions) - rather than the standard 3W, 5W & Rescue - your thoughts on this (Pro v con)would be much appreciated. My current TM 5 wood Burner is 49 Gram stiff shaft but I am very unreliable with it!

I am going the Belfry for a 5 round break this week - I still hope to break 80 - be nice to do it with new clubs 0- that could then get mwe to single figures afterall!!!

Kind regards

Nick

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mad as a Frog said:
Hi Deemac,

Very Impressive!! Last year went from 21.4 to 12.6, this year improved my swing immeasurable and now own woods for the first time - but my handicap has stayed the same although have the ability to shoot lower now. Wanted to break 80 and get single figures but have not put the work in on my short game or putting - just trying to groove the swing.

However question for you - I now own the MP52's PX 6.0 (Sweet as) only a week so early to tell (Struggling with 3 & 4 tho). DG 52 & 58 on Way. Driver is Callaway FT-9 I-Mix with Pro-lauch Platinum Stiff Shaft 10 Degrees - but need to complete my set - I like the sound of CLK 17,20 & 23 (or is there newer versions) - rather than the standard 3W, 5W & Rescue - your thoughts on this (Pro v con)would be much appreciated. My current TM 5 wood Burner is 49 Gram stiff shaft but I am very unreliable with it!

I am going the Belfry for a 5 round break this week - I still hope to break 80 - be nice to do it with new clubs 0- that could then get mwe to single figures afterall!!!

Kind regards

Nick
Nick,

The CLK Fli Hi's are still current although there are the MX 700 hybrids, but in my opinion they do not look as good at address, so I'm sticking with the Fli Hi CLK's.

I love the graduation in my set now - 8.5 (driver); 13.5 (3-wood); 17; 20; 23 (hybrids). I love my F-60 3wood, but when it comes to 5 woods, I reckon it's a preference thing. My 17 degree rescue is my 5-wood replacement, and for me the real advantage is the versatility it gives me! I can hit it from the tee, from the fairway, from the rough, even from the sand (under certain circumstances), you can't do that with a 5-wood.

You know those shots in the 1st cut rough when you're still 220 out and would love to hit your 3-wood, but you know you should really try to get an iron onto the back of it? Well - enter 17 degree hybrid!!

To be honest, I don't have any cons to list! The 17 degree is so versatile it's untrue and (for me) the 20 and 23 give me so much more confidence than a 3 or 4 iron, with all the same versatility.

I can shape the ball both ways with the hybrids too, so this isn't even a con either!

BTW - All my hybrids have the standard HS2 shafts in them and they work fine for me!

Why don't you get a hold of one hybrid, see how you get on with it, and if you're anything like me, you'll soon bag two or three of them!

Mad as a Frog

HCP
Local club/country
Batchworth Park GC
Irons
MX-300 4&5, MP 52s 6-PW, Project X 5.5,Bridgestone 3&5 Woods with Accra Axiv XC75 shafts Stiff - Vokeys 50, 55 & 60
Driver
Nakashima HTEC Driver 460 Aldila VS Proto 60 Shaft 9.5 degree
Deemac,

Have you ever looked at the Japanese Mizuno alternatives - are they pre europe or just a different line?

Nick

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mad as a Frog said:
Deemac,

Have you ever looked at the Japanese Mizuno alternatives - are they pre europe or just a different line?

Nick
Different line I think Nick???

I can't find the Fli Hi CLK's on the Mizuno Europe website - are they discontinued???

You can probably still get them on ebay though (be carefull who you buy from).

Out of all the hybrids - the Fli Hi CLK's - in my opinion - are the best!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Found Them!!

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/fli-hi/clk_fli-hi/

But you cant navigate to this link via the website!! Very Strange!!

Carisman

HCP
Local club/country
Northumberland
Irons
MP 54's 5 to PW / MP Fli Hi Nippon pro 950 R MPT-10 wedge
Driver
R9 Super tri
Hi Deemac,

This year.. not as much golf as I had planned, but:

18 pars in medal round.. no bogies, no pars. Got me back to catergory 1 HCP.
So going to treat myself to new irons.

MP 58's or 52's... heart say's 58's, will new fli hi's 3 & 4.

Carisman

HCP
Local club/country
Northumberland
Irons
MP 54's 5 to PW / MP Fli Hi Nippon pro 950 R MPT-10 wedge
Driver
R9 Super tri
Meant to say. No birdies - no bogeys... 18 pars!!

Top Bottom