Golf Fitness

Would you like to have exercises posted to try?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Out of interest, how many people on here actively do exercises and/or gym work to supplement their golf game?

Since I changed my gym routine 2 years ago my game has changed completely and now I am close to getting down to 3 which I last played off at age 16....

If there is sufficient interest I will start posting basic exercises for people to use to increase stability and flexibility in the golf swing. This in turn creates power and swing speed 😉

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Nige ... This would be of interest to me - I do exercises daily to help with my long term lower back issues - Mostly they are to do with strengthening the core & mainly stretching / pilates - My physio & MSK Doctor have both encouraged me to add further exercises in the future, so I would be interested to see what you are doing, though they are probably a bit advanced for a geriatric like me :rolleyes:
Paul
PS - Well done on your ongoing handicap improvements \0/

LOS

Local club/country
England
Due to the stop/start nature of Golf I was finding that I was getting tired towards the end of a round so I have started using an exercise bike at home several times a week for aerobic exercise and do some Yoga stretches. I will be interested to see what the younger generation do.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
The warm up applies for every workout. It activates the glutes, hips, hamstrings and core

LOS

Local club/country
England
The warm up applies for every workout. It activates the glutes, hips, hamstrings and core
What do you set the bike up for to do the warm up? Wattage or do you set a predetermined level of resistance for your level of fitness?

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
What do you set the bike up for to do the warm up? Wattage or do you set a predetermined level of resistance for your level of fitness?
I use a WattBike in “Just Ride” mode. I have the magnetic resistance set at 1 (easiest) but the Air resistance at 5. If you work hard on the warm up you get your heart rate up to 140-150bpm. As an added bonus the cycling builds up stamina in the upper legs because of the sustained effort required to average 33kmph

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I don't go to the gym. When i was in rehab for my shoulder, I bought the same equipment they were using and I've continued to use it at home. I do have some golf specific stuff like a system that attaches to the door and has bengee cords attached to a grip. You strengthen your muscles with take away and follow through routines if you are careful to do them according to the instructions.

I'd love some golf specific exercises to do at home.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
I don't go to the gym. When i was in rehab for my shoulder, I bought the same equipment they were using and I've continued to use it at home. I do have some golf specific stuff like a system that attaches to the door and has bengee cords attached to a grip. You strengthen your muscles with take away and follow through routines if you are careful to do them according to the instructions.

The warm up workout can be done anywhere and is great for activation before a round of golf. You can get mini Yoga bands for next to nothing to use.

LOS

Local club/country
England

Several years ago one of our local golf ranges gave a free TPI assessment to anyone signing up for lessons and was given a range of exercises specific to that person. I think you should see if there is anyone local who can assess you and provide you with some specific exercises.

"Though many golfers are engaged in some sort of fitness program, many programs are self-directed. One of the biggest mistakes we see in self-directed workout programs is that they focus on an athlete’s strengths, not their weaknesses. If an athlete has a disproportionately strong upper body, they are far more likely to program bench press than squats. If mobility has always been a challenge, they probably aren’t eager to submit themselves to a daily stretching routine. "
http://www.mytpi.com/articles/swing...ng_your_body_and_swing_after_a_long_offseason

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Completely agree Los. You should always concentrate on weaknesses but never relax when it comes to flexibility and core strength. Most golfers suffer from lack of mobility in the hips and for thoracic movement and stability.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Squats

The best way to build lower core, lower body and leg strength. The hidden bonus is the stability you gain from the exercise that in turn provides better use of the ground level in the golf swing. Lifting half your own body weight on a squat is a thorough exercise at 6 sets of 6.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
@DennisMiller

These are exercise you can do without any weights or just dumbbells. You can substitute box jumps for straight back 90° frog jumps, where you squat then explode up and turn to the left, then the next one turns to the right.

Attachments

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I need to start looking into these. I had a chance to try the SwingDNA on Saturday and my swing speed had dropped from the 89-92 range to 82 or so. I have a gut feeling it's a technique issue but strength and mobility never hurt. Too bad I like skiing in the winter and it doesn't really serve golf. I might need to pick up going to the gym again. :)

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Hi, I just tried the links but none seem to work for me. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Sorry, they are from my Instagram account. I will post the actual plans on here

Top Bottom