Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Has anyone had an irons fitting at Gleneagles
If so what are your thought about it
Thanks
Hi Broony,

I had my last set of irons custom fitted at the Mizuno Performance centre at Gleneagles on the 23rd October 2019, my custom fit was done by Tour fitter Matt McIsaac who was there along with the Mizuno Tour Truck,

If you search on YouTube you will see videos of Matt custom fitting James Robinson Golf and Peter Finch Golf having their Mizuno irons fitted by him,

First thing Matt needed to establish was what my requirements and expectations were regarding what modal of iron I was looking at and what would be best suited to me

The process started with me hitting balls on the range to get warm and loosened up prior to the start of the fitting I then got to hit the three shots using the iron fitted with the DNA system that recorded my swing data which then displayed three possible iron shafts that may be a suitable fit, I got to hit various styles of head that were on offer all were 6 irons eventually settling on the JPX900 Hot Metal I cant recall what all the recommended shafts were but I did try them all and a few others that were not on the suggested shaft list eventually opting for the KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 105 regular flex shaft as the one that gave me the best performance between feel, dispersion, flight & distance which was 158 yards in total for a six iron,

I was only having a custom fit for a set of irons that day but they did have the Drivers, Hybrid's & I think the wedges available also if I had been looking to get them

The hole process took around an hour and I found it a most enjoyable experience, Matt is a very knowledgeable fitter with excellent communication skills who knows the Mizuno product well and made me fell very at ease answered any questions I had at the time and never tried to force his opinion's or choices on me,

As an added bonus once we were finished with my custom fit I got a guided tour round the Mizuno Tour truck accompanied by Matt and Alex Thorne who is the Tour manager, I found it very interesting to see how it was all laid out how the clubs are measured balanced adjusted and assembled and how it all comes together as the finished club,

All in all a most enjoyable day I can highly recommend it..!

Cheers

John.

Broony

HCP
Local club/country
Duddingston scotland
Thanks John
For taking the time to give me such a comprehensive answer.
Can you remember if you can view and even hit other irons in the set say 4 or 5 iron
I’m thinking I might like to blend between 2 different sets and would be good to know where in the set to blend .
How did you arrange your fitting was it through your local pro or did u just phone Gleneagles to arrange
Lastly did you think the price you paid for the irons was competitive
Thanks again Broony

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Thanks John
For taking the time to give me such a comprehensive answer.
Can you remember if you can view and even hit other irons in the set say 4 or 5 iron
I’m thinking I might like to blend between 2 different sets and would be good to know where in the set to blend .
How did you arrange your fitting was it through your local pro or did u just phone Gleneagles to arrange
Lastly did you think the price you paid for the irons was competitive
Thanks again Broony
Hi Broony,

In answer to your questions,

As I recall I think they only had 6 iron fitting heads available to try for each model in their range at that time, but that was 2017 so they may well have changed that by now..?, as for where to start blending the set probably the fitter would be best able to advise you at the time of your fitting based on what he sees and how confident you are when it comes to playing the longer irons in the set.

In the custom fitting videos that were done with James Roberson and Peter Finch that is how they decided where to blend the set they both went for blended sets Peter Finch with 4 - 7 irons in the MMC then from 8 - PW in the MP 20 blades,
James Robinson went with the 4 & 5 irons in the HMB's and then went from 6 - PW in the MP 20 bladed irons,

Getting my fitting done on that day was just a pure stroke of luck I just happened to be at Gleneagles with my family for a day out and as we were driving in I spotted the Mizuno Tour Truck was there so I asked if it would be possible to have a fitting done they said if I came back in an hour they would fit me in,
and as they say the rest is history,

Though I had my fitting done on the day I wasn't quite ready to buy I did mention this to them at the time of my fitting and they said no problem that they would give me all my custom fitting information away with me and when I was ready to order my irons they could be assembled at Cumbernauld to my specifications.

As for the pricing being competitive I've got to think that they would probably do a price match as there is a golf shop/ outlet on site, so it might well be prudent to source some prices before hand so you can negotiate the best deal..!.

Cheers

John.

Last edited:
Top Bottom