Europe should get an extra major, possibly Australia or Asia

TheJoshuaTree

Local club/country
United Kingdon]
Irons
Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4 - PW, Wedges Cleveland 588 RTX 48/08, 52/08, 56/14, 60/08
Driver
Titleist 915 D2, Titleist 913 15 degree, Titleist 913 19 degree, Titleist 915 Hybrid
Personally i think they should drop the USPGA as a major, it doesn't feel like a Major or have the aura of a Major championship.

In this day and age i don't think the USA should get 3 Majors and the Rest Of The World just gets one given how many countries that golf is played in these days, you have to move with the times and be modern and forward thinking in your plans for the future of any sport. Imagine how big a Major would be in Asia, it could be rotated around the Asian regions each year or have it at a fixed venue like the Masters, Australia should also be considered.

I just think it's time for a change, rather than move the date of the USPGA like they have done to the beginning of the year i think they should scrap it, the Masters should open the golf season then create a new Major in another continent around the time the USPGA has always been played. Or have one in a different part of Europe like Spain which has always been a hot bed of talent, or rotate one around Europe as golf is played in a lot of countries in Europe.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Re: Europe should get an extra major, possibly Australia or

I do agree with you that the PGA Championships doesn't really feel like a major. For me it's nowhere near all the other majors, the Olympics, Ryder Cup, Solheim Cup or even the Players'.

I'm not sure if you can just create another major out of nothing though. A major should earn its spot with its heritage and as a tournament where all the top players want to come and lesser players dream of participating one day, thus making the tournament a major event.

The Olympics were easy, while there was no golf heritage, it was the Olympics but even so it struggled to attract players and (US) audience.

The least the PGA could do is make the tournament match play again.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s

I can see what TJT is on about, the USPGA really did lack something this year for some reason? - But I also don't think it is possible to just "create" a Major out of thin air? - How about keeping the USPGA as a Major but  rotating it around the different Tours each year, so US / Europe / Asia / Oz (?)
Paul 

LOS

Local club/country
England

PaulBoy said:
- But I also don't think it is possible to just "create" a Major out of thin air? - How about keeping the USPGA as a Major but  rotating it around the different Tours each year, so US / Europe / Asia / Oz (?)
Paul 
At the end of the day it's all about money. Who is prepared to spend a lot of money to have a major? The USPGA wouldn't be happy with it being called the PGA Championship if another country was hosting and they would have to take a cut in their earnings. The US TV companies won't like it because the golf will take place at unsocial hours, for the US, and that will impact on Advertising earnings and the TV companies would therefore not pay top dollar. TV companies are not going to pay top dollar for everything and I believe we have seen the start of this with SKY refusing to pay what the USPGA wanted and the USPGA having to take a hit and accept what the BBC offered. When the Murdoch Clan finally get their hands on all of SKY I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few sports  find that the amount they are paid by SKY will have reached it's ceiling.
 A lot of American golfers are not interested in traveling, as per their rants about the Olympics, and you could not guarantee you would get all the best players to Asia etc. and again this would impact on American audiences.
   I feel like having a rant but I won't.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

I also agree the PGA doesn't brand and sell itself as well as the other majors, but considering who runs it, it'll never be relegated to minor league status.

I think we're more likely to see a 5th major, but I wonder if they wouldn't choose the Players before they invent something in a foreign country. I'm not saying it's fair...

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS

Bit of a radical idea but........

What about applying the same qualifying criteria as used in the current Majors and use the World Matchplay Championship as a 5th Major?

Scrap the group leagues and just have 1 big knockout tournament, top 128 golfers played over a full week as follows:

Attachments

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

The only reason I don't think the governing bodies would choose a match play event as a major is for the obvious marketing problem. It's entirely possible all the big bames could be eliminated so early that the semis and final would hold little interest for the fans. Advertisers don't like that kind of insecurity.

There's nothing wrong with a couple match play events now and then, but I think the only way to really sell match play is more in the team format like the Ryder, Presidents and Solheim cups. At least on the last day you are guaranteed of seeing your favorite players.

While I consider it sort of unfair, I think part of the problem of putting a 5th major overseas is that the 400 lb gorilla, (the PGA Tour), has to be really sold on whatever event someone would come up with. I think their initial opinion might be along the lines that a new event belongs on a foreign tour and needs to grow in importance before the PGA pros would consider it.

Consider how the British Open changed in popularity when Arnold Palmer started going. Yes, it was a major, but most American pros didn't travel there to play it. Regardless of airfare versus the need to spend days crossing the ocean on a liner, I think that hoity toity attitude still exist to a large extent.

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Craigmiller Park in Edinburgh
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well

hursty said:
Bit of a radical idea but........

What about applying the same qualifying criteria as used in the current Majors and use the World Matchplay Championship as a 5th Major?

Scrap the group leagues and just have 1 big knockout tournament, top 128 golfers played over a full week as follows:
I like radical ideas.  There is too much repetition in golf whether it's a pro's stroke play event or a monthly medal.  I'd like to see more imagination from all the organisers from grassroots to majors.

However, like a few others I can't see the powers to be changing any of the 4 majors...

Top Bottom