Driver
Cleveland Launcher 9 deg
My fitting yielded the following:

Headspeed: 87
Tempo: 4
Toe down: 3
Kick angle: 5
Release factor: 4

I know that tempo has to do with the pace with wich you swing the club and kick angle has to do with how much the shaft bends forward at downswing and so on. What I don't know is how to put these numbers in context. Speifically,...

- What is a fast or a slow tempo?
- Does the toe down of 3 mean I should get irons that are a few degrees upright or does it mean that if I use a shaft that is more stiff than the test club I would get a toe down factor of 0?
- Is a kick angle of 5 high or low? What does it mean for my ball flight? If the kick angle were 8 how would that change the ball flight?
- What does a release factor of 4 tell me about when my club head is releasing and what does it mean for ball flight?

Any information about what these numbers really mean would be helpful. Thanks

Grilled Cheese

HCP
Local club/country
Mizuno Golf Club/USA
Irons
Split Set - MP H5 (3 - 5), MP-64 (6 - PW), MP T5 (51, 58)
Driver
Mizuno MP-630 10.5 with Fujikura F3 70 Stiff
Good Afternoon ASmitty!

First off...thanks for going through the Shaft Optimizer. Which of the shafts that it recommended did you like the best? If I had to guess, I would say the Project X 5.5. Am I right????

To expand a bit on the numbers....

Head Speed - rather obvious, maximum head speed value during the swing.

Tempo - This measured what kind of transition you have on a scale of 1 to 9 (one being the smoothest and nine being the quickest). Think of Ernie Els' swing vs. Nick Price. No number is better than the other, just personal tempo.

Toe Down - As it sounds, this is how much the shaft bends down towards the ground during the swing (again, on a one to nine scale). This won't have a big effect on lie angle, but possibly a slight one. This is why we recommend one you find the proper shaft, that you use the lie fit club to take a lie angle measurement WITH THAT SHAFT.

Kick Angle - The amount the shaft bends forward (towards the target). This helps us to determine the proper bending profile of the shaft for you. For example, if you need something with a stiffer mid section, etc.

Release Factor - When in the swing the shaft itself actually released the head. For a couple of extreme examples, think of Sergio Garcia and David Toms. Sergio releases VERY late, and thus needs a firmer tipped shaft. Toms releases earlier, and so he can use a softer tip to deliver more power to the ball.

Again, you shouldn't think like "I need to lower my kick angle" or "I need to raise my release factor" or anything like this. None of these are swing faults, they just require different bending profile shafts to give you your best results.

Being that all of the measurements are on a 1-9 scale (with the exception of head speed), you are pretty much in the mid range across the board. The reason that I guessed that you would like the Project X is because your tempo is kind of in the mid/low range. A player in that range needs a mid-light shafts (Project X is 115). Your release factor is also a four, and typically the tip section of that shaft will fit well to that player.

If the Project X wasn't the winner, I'm curious what was...everyone feels the shaft load and unload slightly differently, so let me know!

Hope that helps to clear some stuff up!

-GC

asmitty

HCP
Local club/country
McCall Golf & Country Club
Irons
Mizuno MP58 3-PW
Driver
Cleveland Launcher 9 deg
GC,

Thanks for the great reply. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

The fitting recommended three shafts
- DG S-300 (130g)
- Project X 5.5 (115g), as you guessed
- KBS Tour Stiff (120g)

I actually went with the KBS, but after having hit the whole set on the range I think I could use something with a bit firmer tip. I had the lie adjusted to 2 degrees up and make great contact in the center of the club face. However, I was actually a little disappointed to find out that the 7-PW are 2 degrees weaker than my old clubs, which works out to be almost a full club difference. I might consider having those lofts adjusted next season. All-in-all, I think I'm happy with the purchase, but I really won't know until I can get a few rounds on these sticks.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Bump. Lots of good info on Grilled Cheese's reply.

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter
Yes great reply Grilled Cheese. Hope to hear from you more on the Forum. With similar stats to the OP(83-4-3-6-5) I went with the Project X 5.5 and I love them.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
As this question is asked so regularly, we've made it 'sticky' to keep in constant view.

Thanks Grilled Cheese.

elchene

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MX-300/4-GW/C-Tapers
Driver
Titleist/909D2/9.5
Sorry if this has been answered before... How does the number scale work for release factor, is a higher number a late release or an early release?

Just curious, thanks!

Rob

HCP
Local club/country
Chilworth GC , Southampton
Irons
Mizuno JPX 800Pro 4 - PW(Nippon 1150GH stiff) , MP-T11 wedges 50/6 & 56/10
Driver
Mizuno MX700 12* Exsar DS4 Regular Flex
Its an early release

Rob

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
MP18 SC's along with MP S-18 wedges 52 & 58.
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 driver and 3 wood.
When I had my fitting with James he also mentioned another figure that for the life of me I can't remember what the heck it was. It measured about 1.37 I think and he said that, whatever it was, I did it well. Seeing as my other stats make for grim reading I'd be interested to know what it was. Any ideas?

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
dave_giz said:
When I had my fitting with James he also mentioned another figure that for the life of me I can't remember what the heck it was. It measured about 1.37 I think and he said that, whatever it was, I did it well. Seeing as my other stats make for grim reading I'd be interested to know what it was. Any ideas?
Smash factor!!! (ace name for a relatively boring stat)

Ball speed / swing speed - how efficiently / cleanly are you smashing it

Absolute max is usually with a driver - a perfect strike is 1.5 - over 1.35 with iron is good.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
This is good...

Attachments

HCP
Local club/country
Kent
Irons
Ping / i5 / 4-pw / Vokey 52, 56, 60
Driver
Ping / Raptor / 9.5 / Stiff
Hello everyone,

Went up the range yesterday, to find a friend out using the DNA 6 Iron for a new fit of Mizuno Irons. He was that impressed he has bought 4-pw in the mp68 range.

I had a little play with the club myself and come out with an average of

Head speed 94
Tempo 4
Toe down 1
Kick angle 6
Release factor 3

I was that impressed I am going to have a fitting session, once the funds have been establisted, so as not to waste anyones time. My current clubs are Ping i5 straight off the shelf with steel regular shafts, bought 4 1/2 years ago when I was about 21 h'cap and now 8 h'cap.

The lads had a laugh and said they are suprised I can hit a ball with them.

My question is, with the above stats will it really make that much difference???

Thanks for taking the time to read this message.

Play well!!

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter
Thats great Justcheckingin007 and welcome to the Forum. Those are very good stats on the DNA. If your looking for a club similar to the i15 it has to be the JPXPro. Brilliant irons.

mizunotitleistfan

HCP
Local club/country
TheWonderfulWorldOfGolf
Irons
Mizuno T Zoid Pro's 3-PW and Mizuno MP-T11 56* wedge.
Driver
Titleist 905R 10.5* driver- shaft irrelevant
excellent thread..........

I cant remember my stats but swing speed 89, tempo 3 or 4, but release was early like a 7 I think.

I do tend to thin a few so would a shaft with a softer tip help that especially in the 8-SI range?

I like mid to low penetrating flight so any shaft recommendations?

Top Bottom