Did Mizuno woods deserve their reputation?

welshhead

HCP
Local club/country
Radyr Golf Club
Irons
JPX919 Forged(Project X LZ 6.0), Wedges S5(51/56/61) (Project X 5.5). Odyssey Pro Type 7.
Driver
Driver ST180 (9.5 Tensei Orange Stiff), 3 Wood MP650 (Red Eye Stiff), Hybrid MP650(19)(Red Eye Stiff)
I just think the the irons have always outshined the woods. As the irons are so good the expectation is that the woods are as well, and they NEARLY have been, however the woods have never been marketed very well (until recently) and therefore neither had enough club golfer play for word of mouth marketing (like Taylor Made, Callaway etc).
This is my take anyway ;-)

Personally I've played an MP-001 (460) driver for ages and only just replaced it with an MP-600. Technology has definately advanced and I think the MP-600 (with the right shaft-crucial) is one of the best performing combos available. My MP-001 4 wood is just about to be replaced by and MX-700 and I'm still using an MP-001 7 wood in the winter with DGS300, the combination of a small head (which is amazing for rough extractions) and the stiff steel shaft which keeps the ballflight down makes for an excellent recovery club.

HCP
Local club/country
Bear Dance Golf Club, Colorado, USA
Irons
mx1000
Driver
TM R7 Draw
I have used Taylormade drivers for the last 7 years. This spring, on whim, I tried out the MX700. I had already bought the MX100 irons(which I am ecstatic with). I've had trouble with the bigger-flatter (saucer) headed drivers before (I like the blockier heads like the R7), but the MX700 was a breeze to turn over. I think it has something to do with the lower profile face and also the unusual shape of the face itself (take a look up-close, it is quite an 'artistic' design, but I think this unique shape allows you to get the toe around much easier). Because I had trouble in the past with the wider heads, I went to 44.5" - and I fully expected to lose some distance. But guess what, no distance loss! I am definitely impressed. The lower profile face positions the center of gravity in a different place than the high profile faces of the recent years, and this combined with the weight being 'low and back', really does an amazing job.

PW8652

HCP
Local club/country
Aberdare G.C. Wales
Irons
MX 25
Driver
MX 700 - 9.5 fitted with Pro Launch Red Shaft.
I played a MX 500 for a few months which was ok, but apart from that I've used Taylor Made and Callaway, I was fitted for a TM Tour Buner TP June 2008 and really loved it, that was until 3 weeks ago, I attended a Mizuno Trackman session at my local driving range, after a warm up I had 5 drives with my Buner and 5 with a MX 700- 9.5 fitted with a Pro Launch Red shaft, the Trackman showed that my average drive with the MX 700 was 17 yards longer than the Buner, also the landing area of the 5 shots with the MX were a lot tighter.
After another 30 mintues of trying out the MX, I purchased a Driver and 3 wood, total cost £278, I paid £350 for the Buner.
It took a couple of weeks for the clubs to be made up, but the arrived this week, trust me it was like Xmas morning, could not wait to get them on the course, I have I been dissapointed, certainly not, the 9.5 driver has a neutral face, my Buner TP was 2 degrees open, so once I aimed a little more down the right the left side of the faiway I got a nice soft draw back towards the middle, regardless of a strike out of the heel, toe or the centre of the club face, this is a fantastic club. I've read some reports saying the MX 700 is for middle to high handicap players, I would disagree, I think it would suit anyone, I play off 10 but if my irons were as good as my driving I would be a lot lower, trust me I made the MX talk, high shots low shots, fades and draws, it's very workable and the carry you get is insane. The 3 wood is just as good, off a tee, off the faiway, I just could not miss, can't wait for the weekend to use them in a competition.Sorry this has been long winded, but I'm really,really impressed with these clubs, so much so I'm about to order a 5 wood to match the other 2, the only thing stopping me ordering a MX 700 Utility is the shaft options.

Bruce

HCP
Local club/country
Longniddry
Irons
JPX 825 Pros 4 - PW, T4 Wedges 50, 54 60
Driver
Titliest 909 D2, TM RBZ Tour 3 wood, Titlesit 909 19dgr Hyrbid
At our level reputation means nothing, I've played with Taylor Made, Wilson, Ping and Cobra. It's about what's right for you, I love the MP 600 becasue I like a classic looking driver, it feels solid without sounding like a cannon (Cobra users will no what I mean)and is very easy to shape from the Tee.

Top Bottom