Custom fitting w/ Top 100 Mizuno fitter

Local club/country
United States
I have never been fitted for golf clubs. Well, that is about to change! By some stroke of good fortune, there is a PGA pro who is also a certified Top 100 Mizuno club fitter...5 minutes from me! I thought with him being a Top 100 fitter he may have every club available to hit during the fitting, but turns out 7-iron heads are the only clubs supplied with interchangeable shafts. I found this a bit disappointing, because I am looking at doing a blended set with the the MP-20 line...MB, MMC, HMB. I am a little concerned it will be sort of a guessing game as far as where in my bag to shift from blades to MMC and/or HMB, but what do I know? I have never done this before.

I did see the attached video on YouTube of a custom fitting at the actual Mizuno facility, and all they used were 7-irons as well. That did ease my mind a bit. That being said, can anyone that has done a custom fitting, and perhaps ended up with a blended set, provide any insight on your experience? I would appreciate it!

EddieF

Local club/country
USA
Irons
MX200 5-gw
The pro shop I was fitted at(MX200s 10 years ago), only had 6 iron heads for fitting, and most likely still do. I think this is standard for most fitters.

W-S_Batman

Local club/country
United States
The pro shop I was fitted at(MX200s 10 years ago), only had 6 iron heads for fitting, and most likely still do. I think this is standard for most fitters.
Thanks. I actually just did my fitting a couple days ago, using only 7-irons. Those are the only heads with interchangeable shafts that Mizuno provides to fitters. I’m happy with and super excited about the blended set I ended up with, but in the future I hope golf fittings evolve to where the manufacturers provide more options to their fitters. I ended up with MP-20 blended set. MB blade in P-8, MMC 7-5, HMB 4-3. Can’t wait to hit them!

Deepy

HCP
Local club/country
Gütersloh, Germany
Irons
Mizuno MP4/MP54/MP-H4
That very same question bothers me as well.
How do you know what’s the longest club you should order? Can you elevate a 2 iron with 17deg or should you just get a 3 iron and bend it 1 deg strong? How to establish the proper gapping between clubs?

W-S_Batman

Local club/country
United States
That very same question bothers me as well.
How do you know what’s the longest club you should order? Can you elevate a 2 iron with 17deg or should you just get a 3 iron and bend it 1 deg strong? How to establish the proper gapping between clubs?
I had all the same questions and more going into my fitting! Being able to only hit 7-irons, and having to base your decisions as far as set make up solely on that is certainly not ideal, but it is the industry standard. I will say, it makes a big difference who is doing your fitting. My advice would be to seek out a local PGA pro, and if you can get the same person who is giving you or has given you lessons to do your fitting, that is ideal.

Ultimately, I am thrilled with the iron set I ended up with! I went with PW--3...originally I was only going to go to 4-iron, because I don't use my 3-iron a lot. But luckily before my fitting I was able to hit the MP-20 HMB 4-iron at a Golf Galaxy, and it felt amazing. So, I decided to throw a 3-iron into my set which I'll use interchangeably with my 5-wood off the tee depending on what course I'm playing.

As far as figuring out lofts...I went with a blended set. MB blades P-8, MMC 7-5, HMB 4-3. There was a 6-degree gap between the MB 8-iron (38 deg) and the MMC 7-iron (32 deg). I wanted to keep the slightly stronger lofts in the MMCs & HMBs, so I ended up just strengthening my 9-iron by 1 degree, and my 8-iron by 2 degrees. So, my lofts look like this:

PW - 46
9-iron - 41
8-iron - 36
7-iron - 32
6-iron - 28
5-iron - 25
4-iron - 22
3-iron - 19

Top Bottom